Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 18-01-2013, 02:11   #41
MovieMax
Trusted User

Have to say, overall my favourite Star Trek series. For many reasons such as, a huge fan of the mirror universe also my ultimate no questions asked sublime number one episode Trials and Tribble-ations and not forgetting Nana Visitor.
MovieMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 02:19   #42
mjb1975
Blandiblub

On the back of this thread, I've had a trawl around Wikipedia and have reminded myself that I did enjoy the show but I don't think I ever actually finished watching it all.

May have to start again on US Netflix - but I just don't see me having the time sadly.
Old 18-01-2013, 05:19   #43
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Probably worth watching the final, what is it 9 episode(?) story arc to wrap it all up.
Fatbloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 07:38   #44
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

B5 is my favourite TV show ever and DS9 comes in a very close second. I adore this show even the early seasons there were no annoying characters on this show and they all had great chemistry.

It a shame so many of you have slammed Brooke's performance as I really enjoyed his human portrayal of a captain compared to the clinical performance given by Stewart in TNG. DS9 reached highs that only other trek shows could only dream of and to this day I am still dumbfounded that this was not a runaway success.

My favourites were always the comedy episodes especially the Ferengi ones and I didn't even mind Vic Fontain.

Maybe time for a rematch me thinks.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 07:42   #45
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

I need to get my wife interested in ST as I don't get enough private screen time to re-watch this or TNG on my own.

Are there any rumours at all about a new series or will it come after a trilogy of new movies have re-sparked the mainstream public interest?
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 09:39   #46
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Are there any rumours at all about a new series or will it come after a trilogy of new movies have re-sparked the mainstream public interest?
The news at present is that movies are the only version of Star Trek and no series will be considered until they are over. and even then I doubt it. But the movie may lead on to other things as you suggest. But for now I think it is best to assume that there will be no Star Trek on TV for years ahead if ever.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:35   #47
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
I need to get my wife interested in ST as I don't get enough private screen time to re-watch this or TNG on my own.

It's been eight years since Enterprise finished, and at that point I think almost 20 years of continuous Trek on our screens had left people bored with it. I can definitely see the appeal of a new series, especially given the lack of decent scifi on the small screen right now.

If there is a new show at some point I hope they don't get too influenced by the new movie. While it works very well as a standalone two hour adventure I don't think that action format would suit a series very well. Star Trek has always been at its best when it addressed cultural and ethical questions, with just the odd out and out action episode.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 11:25   #48
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post

If there is a new show at some point I hope they don't get too influenced by the new movie. While it works very well as a standalone two hour adventure I don't think that action format would suit a series very well. Star Trek has always been at its best when it addressed cultural and ethical questions, with just the odd out and out action episode.
It would have to be, there's simply no budget to have high action every episode. Hence we had dreadful day-in-a-life of episodes in the middle seasons of TNG
Old 18-01-2013, 12:09   #49
ajw000
Trusted User

Never really watched any Star Trek, but after hearing you guys speak highly of DS9, is it worth a watch for a newbie? Have US Netflix so doesn't really cost owt...
ajw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 13:32   #50
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

I think most people here would definitely recommend you watch it, but your enjoyment of it would greatly depend on what you like. If you enjoyed Battlestar Galactica (the remake) then you will clearly see that this was something of a precursor to it in style and storytelling, although this is (slightly) more family friendly, and there are more standalone episodes. It's set in the same timeline as The Next Generation and Voyager, and while there is very little crossover it may help to have some understanding of the Star Trek universe at that point (Klingons/Cardassians/The Federation, etc)

It's strength lay in very interesting characters who were explored fully, and placing them in a heavily complex environment. It was darker than the Star Trek's that came before - and after - and heavily plot driven rather than trying to explore scientific/moralistic ideas (although naturally, being Star Trek, these certainly pop up, but they weren't the main focus).

The early seasons meander a little, trying to tell lots of different stories and giving you a feel for things and laying seeds for things to come later. Season 4 was a big change up as a massive war arc begins and dominates the show until the end.

Overall, the show still stands up today. It's the closest Star Trek ever came to being an HBO-style series, in terms of storytelling at least. Give it a go, but be aware that the first 2 seasons are not representative of what comes later, although they pay off in terms of laying a lot of character groundwork.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 18-01-2013 at 13:36.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 13:39   #51
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

This always makes me giggle...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 18-01-2013, 14:51   #52
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post

It a shame so many of you have slammed Brooke's performance as I really enjoyed his human portrayal of a captain compared to the clinical performance given by Stewart in TNG.
I don't think there's really any comparison between Avery Robot Brooks and Royal Shakespeare company veteran Sir Patrick Stewart.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 15:33   #53
Apostate
Trusted User

Never got to see the later seasons of DS9 (did it disappear onto satellite at some point?). Have to say there was always too much Ferengi for me.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 15:41   #54
shteve
Trusted User

I missed most of the latter seasons of DS9 too. Fell victim to the BBC's fear of showing a Star Trek show at the same time on the same day, two weeks in a row (which they perfected with Voyager). I did watch series 3 - 7 via DVD a few years ago with the mrs (didn't think she'd stick with it from series 1) and it was a truly great show. I had somehow managed to catch the final episode before, and it was still a tad disappointing.

Last edited by shteve; 18-01-2013 at 15:43.
shteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 15:49   #55
londoner25uk
Trusted User

Loved DS9 especially Garak and Dax but best character ever was Q. Been watching the STTNG in HD and it looks great. Hope DS9 gets the treatment too.
londoner25uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 16:17   #56
ajw000
Trusted User

cheers everyone, loved BSG upto the last season(ish), so will give it a bash! Having watched pretty much every 'premium' series from the last 10 years, always looking for other stuff to watch
ajw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 16:36   #57
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
I had somehow managed to catch the final episode before, and it was still a tad disappointing.
Can't agree with that! One of the most wonderful finales to any TV show ever.
Old 18-01-2013, 16:48   #58
shteve
Trusted User

shteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 17:16   #59
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
This always makes me giggle...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I take your DS9 parody and raise you a TNG one: http://i.imgur.com/3UtIA.jpg
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:29   #60
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

For the last couple of years, first on BBC News late night and now moved to Channel 4 News' new weather segment. Does he remind you of a drippy Julian Bashir (OK a more drippy JB) or is it just me?