Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 27-11-2012, 08:43   #1
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Any Plex Server users on here?

Hi

I've got a new LG Smart TV that's connected to our network at home. It's talking to our PC where I've installed Plex Server and it's able to see all the media files on there and play them back perfectly, which is great!

What I'd like to do is have the LG telly show things grouped by folder if possible.

For example, I've told Plex Server to look in a particular folder for all of the kids films, and another folder for Christmas films, and a final folder for all other films.

However, when looking at the files, it just lumps them all together to browse through. I'm not sure if I need to set something up on the telly to display them by folder, or if I'm doing something wrong on Plex Server. If anyone has any hints/tips I'd be much obliged!
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 09:07   #2
richardp
頑張日本

If you look in the plex media manager is everything displayed in the folders as you want it to appear? I don't know from the lg side of things, but basically how you set up things in the media manager is how it should display in any clients.
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Mr Flibble (27-11-2012)
Old 27-11-2012, 09:24   #3
Guest 65726
Trusted User

I don't have an LG TV to test the client however I've got a Plex Media Server setup for my android devices, media center PC and Roku boxes.

It sounds like you have set it up correctly, if you have added a "Section" for each group (Kids, Christmas etc) and have the appropriate folder structure:

For example:

->Video (not scanned by Plex)
--> Kids (Scanned by Plex as Kids)
--> Christmas (Scanned by Plex as Xmas)
--> Films (Scanned by Plex as Films)
etc then using all my devices listed above will have a different sector to browse for the differing content.

Here is my config:

->Media (not scanned)
--> Films (scanned as Movies)
--> MP3 (scanned as Music)
--> TV (scanned as TV Shows)

Home Movies is linked to my Dropbox on another drive.

It may just be the way the LG TV client connects to the server?

Last edited by smeegheead; 27-11-2012 at 09:28.
Guest 65726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 09:28   #4
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Hi Richard,

Yep - everything is set up on the server side to how I want it to look, and they display correctly on the media server - it's just on the TV that things go awry. It'll be some simple setting that I'm missing out on, I'll have another look at it tonight!
Old 27-11-2012, 09:50   #5
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeegheead View Post
I don't have an LG TV to test the client however I've got a Plex Media Server setup for my android devices, media center PC and Roku boxes.

It sounds like you have set it up correctly, if you have added a "Section" for each group (Kids, Christmas etc) and have the appropriate folder structure:

For example:

->Video (not scanned by Plex)
--> Kids (Scanned by Plex as Kids)
--> Christmas (Scanned by Plex as Xmas)
--> Films (Scanned by Plex as Films)
etc then using all my devices listed above will have a different sector to browse for the differing content.

Here is my config:

->Media (not scanned)
--> Films (scanned as Movies)
--> MP3 (scanned as Music)
--> TV (scanned as TV Shows)

Home Movies is linked to my Dropbox on another drive.

It may just be the way the LG TV client connects to the server?
Mr Flibble and smeegheead in the same thread

the way I've set it up on the server is like this:

F:\Films
F:\Our films
F:\Kids films
F:\Christmas Films

so I think that's pretty much the same structure as yours - I've got Plex scanning each of them. On the LG you go to 'Smart Share' and it lets you browse photo's, albums, video and shows all of the above in a single section.

I think Plex Server is great, I love how it shows artwork/film synopsis etc. It would be great to have the folder structure shown, but if not I can live with it - some tinkering needed I think!
Old 27-11-2012, 10:52   #6
williamssp
Trusted User

This won't be an issue with the server. It's up to the client to present the list. My guess is it's a setting on your TV's client or they've gone for the simple option of not presenting the folders to you.
williamssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Mr Flibble (27-11-2012)
Old 27-11-2012, 11:01   #7
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

ack, oh well - fair enough - thanks Williamssp!
Old 27-11-2012, 11:04   #8
richardp
頑張日本

Yeah, I'd concur with that. I'm using official plex clients on iOS/OSX, so it plays together nicely. IIRC LG has some kind of collaboration with plex, so it should work out in the end. Really the best place to ask this is in the plex forums, the guys there were excellent in sorting my niggles out and getting everything working spot on
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Mr Flibble (27-11-2012)
Old 27-11-2012, 11:50   #9
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

I'll have a look - I tend to use the forums here as a one-stop-shop for everything really! The plex side is very impressive though. I had a WDTV previoulsy, and there were ways you could modify the firmware to get film descriptions etc. but it involved a lot of coding on your part - this just does it!

There's also a plex app for ipad, so you can stream content from home, to your ipad/iphone, but that's also a monthly subscription service too - pretty cool though!
Old 27-11-2012, 21:52   #10
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

Plex app is a one off payment to stream to iPad or iPhone.

The sub service is to stream to other pcs via a web browser or sync content to your device for off line playing.

What plex is doing is correct. It pulls meda from all locations and presents it as a single collection on a client.
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:43   #11
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Just set up Plex on an old laptop to stream around the house. Fun - particularly as by turning on uPNP on the router and registering with Plex I can now stream to my apple devices using the Plex app, whether I'm on my network or somebody else's.

My one issue so far is that the Mac Client for viewing on one of the laptops makes it run very hot, and drains the battery - not much fun for viewing in bed, and the interface is designed for tvs/remotes rather than a mouse. But for apple devices and streaming to the PS3 (which picks it up as a media server, folder structure and all) it seems great.
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:52   #12
Guest 65726
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLaidlow View Post
Just set up Plex on an old laptop to stream around the house. Fun - particularly as by turning on uPNP on the router and registering with Plex I can now stream to my apple devices using the Plex app, whether I'm on my network or somebody else's.

My one issue so far is that the Mac Client for viewing on one of the laptops makes it run very hot, and drains the battery - not much fun for viewing in bed, and the interface is designed for tvs/remotes rather than a mouse. But for apple devices and streaming to the PS3 (which picks it up as a media server, folder structure and all) it seems great.
If you have the latest server version you can now browse it via browser and play in browser, I had the same issue with the interface with the client s/ware and this has made a great product even better.

Last edited by smeegheead; 28-11-2012 at 11:55.
Guest 65726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 13:34   #13
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Ah! Tell me more!
Old 28-11-2012, 13:49   #14
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

Just install latest version, the log into your myplex portal on the plexwebsite.

it will go to chargeable soon.
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 19:31   #15
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Aha! That's fantastic - much better. A shame it will go chargeable - hopefully only if you're trying to access it from outside your home network.
Old 28-11-2012, 20:03   #16
Dave h-j
Suitable for vegetarians

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLaidlow View Post
Yeah, the client is based on XBMC which has known problem with CPU usage for rendering the menu screens. Later releases of XBMC (such as the beta 'frodo') has better utilisation, but Plex is yet to pick these up (And probably won't for a while).

I've been using Plex since its inception and it's fantastic as a media library and also at streaming to mobile devices (both locally and remotely). However the desktop clients have been a letdown - so much so, that I created the plexbmc addon for XBMC which allows you to use that as a client instead.
Dave h-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 23:26   #17
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Neat! I like the web browser front end that internetuser pointed out too.

I'm currently running plex on an old laptop (C2D) running Win 7 but I note it gets a bit hot with the lid closed when it's idling. Any tips on how to get it to sleep/hibernate but wake up when I want it? Is Linux any better at being a server?
Old 29-11-2012, 15:46   #18
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

well i've fixed the problem! In the LG menu, I can go to 'smart share' and list all video's that it can see, or browse to 'connected devices' and select 'Plex Media Server' - from here it then shows the correct folder structure as it is on the hard drive
Old 14-12-2012, 17:56   #19
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

more help please!

I've bought Sherlock HD from the itunes store, it's in mp4 format but plex won't play it - am I missing a trick here, I thought this file format was supported?
Old 14-12-2012, 19:30   #20
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Does it have DRM?, I have a couple of MP4's that play okay. I can only think that perhaps if it has DRM it is causing problems maybe?
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote