Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 17:04   #41
sideshowhibs
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post

Got my Play1 set up. Liking that I can still group it with the playbar on the TV so I can hear the telly when I'm in the kitchen without having to turn the playbar up loud!
That's great. Could be really useful if you were "watching" a lecture/discussion that you didn't really need to be viewing.
sideshowhibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 18:48   #42
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, I often leave the telly on with news or things like Have I Got News, Question Time, etc so it's really handy to be able to move the audio around easily.
Old 22-12-2013, 17:08   #43
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I'm really impressed with this Play:1. Does anyone have a 1 and a 3 and can give a comparison? I wonder how much there is between them.
Old 23-12-2013, 22:03   #44
powder
Trusted User

We now have a Play 1 and a Play 3 - much "bigger" sound from the Play 3.

It really is hard to describe it quantitatively. Have got the 3 in the living room and the 1 in the kitchen.

Also picked up a 1 for my parents for a christmas present
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 00:56   #45
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Thinking of picking up a Sonos Connect in the New Year as I think it will fit my requirements.

Currently have/and in process of ripping all cd's to FLAC on a NAS drive. Want so be able to stream those via the home cinema system in the living room but be able to control playlists/queueing tracks etc from an ipad app (which the Sonos has I believe). So can be controlled and used relatively easily from the sofa
Also want the future flexibility of adding to the sonos system down the line for other rooms etc.

Not interested in the itunes route and having to re-rip to apple lossless just because they won't adapt open standards and don't want to be stuck at a PC to control/queue/mess with playlists. (Besides I can do that via winamp if sat at PC upstairs)

Can anyone confirm the functionality and ease of use of the ios app for sonos? tia
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 02:03   #46
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

The ios app is pretty good. You can easily control the volume on all speakers and group and ungroup them with a couple of buttons presses (touches!). You can manage playlists for each easily from it easily as well, adding songs, albums, playlist to the current playlist for any speaker (with options for playing now or adding to the queue), and also clearing individual queues.

You can also add anything to your Sonos favourites or Sonos playlist so, for example, in my Sonos favourites I have Radio 4, 5 and 6, Talksport, Dubai Eye, an Rdio playlist and a playlist for Podcasts from my iTunes library (which automatically updates with new tracks thanks to iHomeserver).

I can also add songs from my iTunes library or from another source like Spotify/Rdio to Sonos playlists, so I have ones that I'm slowly adding songs to (from the Sonos app) as I listen. It's pretty flexible.

The app is pretty much identical for desktop (Windows and Mac) as it is for IOS and Android. It's not perfect and I don't think it's moved on much and it could do with some improvement on volume control (just a slider for volume and no up/down at each end of the slider to make volume controlling smoother would be good, although SonoPad is an alternative for IOS that does have that), and it would be good to have a FF/RW in tracks function like you get on Tivo and a lot of media players (to skip forward or back x number of seconds), but it's not too much of a problem.

I really like it. It's really easy to control and move music from one speaker to another or group them together, we have apps on two iPads, an Android phone, my Windows laptop and my wife's Macbook, and she can work it really easily as well.
Old 24-12-2013, 10:43   #47
basegreen
neergesab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I'm really impressed with this Play:1. Does anyone have a 1 and a 3 and can give a comparison? I wonder how much there is between them.
As a standalone unit the 3 is significantly better and worth the extra. Two 1s however as a stereo pair are much better than a 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_uk View Post
Thinking of picking up a Sonos Connect in the New Year as I think it will fit my requirements.

Can anyone confirm the functionality and ease of use of the ios app for sonos? tia
The app is as good as anything Apple have produced. They are ripe for the picking by Apple as an M&A thing as well IMO.

My sonos collection grows... I have a living room playbar with two Play:1 rears, a connect:amp with very nice speakers for music, Play:3 standalone in the dining room, paired PLay:3 for the kitchen, and a play:5 for the bedroom.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (24-12-2013)
Old 24-12-2013, 12:06   #48
HYPOBOXER
Trusted User

Had a Play 5 for a couple of years now and love it. Its a bit annoying that it always has to be online to play music though. Would be handy if you could use it as a portable speaker
HYPOBOXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (24-12-2013)
Old 24-12-2013, 16:19   #49
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOBOXER View Post
Its a bit annoying that it always has to be online to play music though.
If you have a source on your home network you should be able to stream from that. I have iTunes running on my Homeserver (it runs as a service so it always 'on') and can stream from that without an internet connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOBOXER View Post
Would be handy if you could use it as a portable speaker
It would be great if they released a portable Sonos speaker with a rechargeble battery, even if it still needed to be used in the home. I have a Logitech speaker dock with a built in battery that I use with my old Gen 2 iPod Touch to listen to internet radio and stream podcasts when I'm busy around the apartment as I can take it around from room to room with me.
Old 24-12-2013, 17:36   #50
basegreen
neergesab

The play 1 is designed in such a way that it would be feasible to add a battery pack on the bottom (attaching into the power input). Not sure how big it would need to be to power for a reasonable amount of time.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:43   #51
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

My Connect arrived this morning and have to say its a fantastic bit of kit and the app does everything I want. Might even go for a Play speaker for upstairs next
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 07:55   #52
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Has anyone found a decent way of exporting iTunes playlists into Spotify and Rdio? I mean so it looks at the song in iTunes and adds the one in Spotify, not just the local version for personal use?

http://www.trnsmit.com/ works-ish with Rdio, but it pulls in a lot of 'cover' versions instead of the originals (for example some Arctic Monkeys songs were covers performed by other artists, even though the albums are available on Rdio).

I tried http://www.ivyishere.org/ with an iTunes playlist of 350 songs... it scanned it for about five minutes, then said it had successfully imported 0 songs into a Spotify playlist.... So that's rubbish then!

Also, with Rdio you can have multiple Sonos devices on your LAN playing different tracks at the same time. I just tried it with Spotify on two speakers and that played different songs on both - is that a new feature? And anyone know the number of speakers/different tracks that can be played?
Old 07-02-2014, 19:08   #53
Coolio
Trusted User

We love ours. We had the chance to build our house with ceiling speakers but went with the Plays. I was able to pick them up for half price with an Amex offer and have 2 Play 5 and a Play 3. Sonos were great and sent us free cables for use in N America. Very simple plug and play.
Coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 20:38   #54
GregB
Stagger Lee

Re: Sonos Play 3 and 5. Any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
As a standalone unit the 3 is significantly better and worth the extra. Two 1s however as a stereo pair are much better than a 3.
I just added a second 1 to the 1 I got at Christmas. As a stereo pair they are bloody fantastic.
GregB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:15   #55
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Is everyone else using the 5.2 beta software for Sonos? I just realised it now supports multiple accounts for some services, including Google Music. I've just added my UK and US accounts to it (and my UK one a second time by mistake!) and you can easily switch between them. Very useful for households with multiple users who have different collections, or for people who want to open additional Music accounts because the 20000 isn't enough. I might open one just for compilations, live and mix albums
Old 10-09-2014, 09:22   #56
basegreen
neergesab

Yeah, it's good. I'm just about to get into their beta test hardware programme as well.

Now have 7 zones, inc full 5.1 setup in the living room, with a 2nd living room zone for music.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:24   #57
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Jealous. I have a playbar, a 1 and a 5 and I'm trying to convince my wife we *need* another 1 for the spare room!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:45   #58
basegreen
neergesab

Save up for the surround 1s, and then the SUB.....
Old 10-09-2014, 10:02   #59
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I hope you're in a detached house!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:54   #60
barrynorton
The Falklands are British

I'm very impressed with sonos. The sound is immense.
I currently have two paired play 1's in my bedroom, a play 3 in the kitchen and two paired play5's in my lounge.

I've never played my music so much!
barrynorton is offline   Reply With Quote