Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 20-02-2013, 12:27   #121
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, it's like the old tivo three second jump back in a way, but just does it when you playback from pause, and you can configure the length. It is annoying having to go back 30 secs for a few secs missed!
Old 20-02-2013, 12:34   #122
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Indeed, looks like it could be better than the 2-minute-odd* skip you get by just pressing back or forward on the remote.

* Actually - is this amount configurable anywhere? You might just be able to change that value down to a smaller amount.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 12:49   #123
Wooglie
Rurouni

Left and right are ~30 seconds on my XBMC. Up and down are larger jumps ~10 minutes when watching a TV episode.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 12:51   #124
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Is which configurable? You can change the Jump Back add-on setting, just go into the add on and configure. I think you can change how far the jump backwards button on the remote goes but I'd never worked it out... somewhere in the config file for the remote I believe? I may be wrong though
Old 20-02-2013, 13:43   #125
Fatbloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
Left and right are ~30 seconds on my XBMC. Up and down are larger jumps ~10 minutes when watching a TV episode.
Yeah - you're probably right. It just seems to be 2 minutes

Ah! here's how to adjust the main seek time lengths - good old advancedsettings.xml to the rescue.

Inside the < VIDEO > tag add....

PHP Code:

<usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>  <!-- Whether to use time based or percentage based seeking. -->
  <
timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to 30. -->
  <
timeseekbackward>-30</timeseekbackward>  <!-- Time to seek backward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to -30. -->
  <
timeseekforwardbig>600</timeseekforwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
  <
timeseekbackwardbig>-600</timeseekbackwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to -600 (10 minutes). --> 
So you could set timeseekforward to 10 and timeseekbackward to 5 for example.
Old 20-02-2013, 17:58   #126
Jimmyboy
^__^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
Nope - I'm just going to roll back to a previous release. Frodo is a big mis-step as far as I'm concerned. Worse performance, worse support for video formats etc etc.
Frodo is in beta stage though is it not. The previous version has its quirks for me too.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 18:32   #127
redvers
Member? FNARR!

Acer Aspire Revo + XBMC (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyboy View Post
Frodo is in beta stage though is it not.
No, it is not.
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 10:11   #128
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

OpenELEC Frodo is at RC2, but XBMC Frodo has been fully released.
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 10:02   #129
Fatbloke

I've been looking into the extra settings on Frodo a little more and found this useful nugget.

If, like me, you have XBMC looking at a music folder that's maintained/created by iTunes, you'll no doubt have the iTunes folder right in the middle of your artist folders. This iTunes folder holds ten-squillion folders and files that iTunes uses to speed up it's coverflow animation and it takes ages for XBMC to scan through it all. In my iTunes folder there's no actual music at all.

Well, you can get XBMC to skip such a folder by slapping the following into your advancedsettings.xml file which is inside the userdata folder

PHP Code:
<audio>
    <
excludefromscan>
        <
regexp>iTunes</regexp>
    </
excludefromscan>
</
audio
The audio tag should be inside the advancedsettings tag but outside any other tag.

This effectively forces the XBMC scanner to skip the folder named 'iTunes' when looking for new music. It's case sensitive too, so check how your library is set up before blindly using this.
Old 23-02-2013, 10:24   #130
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

OpenELEC RC3 out now. Apparently they found and fixed a few bugs with the audio which are also in the full XBMC so expect a patch for that too.
Old 23-02-2013, 16:46   #131
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

So I've been using Openelec for a while but thought about installing either the full Windows/Linux version of XBMC on my Revo just because I get bored and like to tinker. Is there any real advantage to having the full versions or am I basically getting the best with Openelec?
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:05   #132
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman View Post
So I've been using Openelec for a while but thought about installing either the full Windows/Linux version of XBMC on my Revo just because I get bored and like to tinker. Is there any real advantage to having the full versions or am I basically getting the best with Openelec?
I've got the full windows version on my Revo (3610) in the lounge as I sometimes browse t'internet from it. On my bedroom Revo (3600), it's just the OpenELEC version. I'd say if you're just using it as an XMBC machine, there's no point at all in using the windows/linux version over OE. Once I can get a browser working properly under OE, I may well swap to that on the lounge PC too as it does feel faster, and that's on a single core Atom compared to a dual core (I tried OE coz I like to tinker too!).
Old 01-03-2013, 16:36   #133
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

Been toying around with XBMC on my PC and loving the interface so have decided to move from my rather decrepit popcorn hour and get a Revo to install it onto.

Can someone recommend which particular Revo is a good one to use as there are so many variations around? Need one which supports HD Audio, can run Windows 7 and can play everything through XBMC from AVI's to full BR rips of 30GB+.

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2013, 20:54   #134
Fatbloke

If you must run windows on it, then something like this then: clicky. But if you have a spare copy of W7 laying unused, or fancy dabbling in Linux then there's also a FreeDOS version which is about Ł70 cheaper.
If all your digital media is already on a network somewhere, then you won't need a massive hard drive as it'll play stuff direct from the network.
Make sure your network is up to it. WiFi isn't going to manage 30GB rips. I'd go for a 1Gbit network if you can, 100Mb if you must, homeplugs at a stretch.
Thanked once by:
mr starface (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 22:20   #135
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

Acer Aspire Revo + XBMC (Part 2)

Thanks doesn't have to be windows it's just the os I'm most familiar with and I have a spare copy. All my media is stored on USB drives in a couple of DAS enclosures do will be connecting them directly. Will also be streaming some stuff from my pc connected via a gigabit network running over gigabit powerlines.
Old 02-03-2013, 16:15   #136
Fatbloke

If you have a spare windows disk then definitely get the Free DOS version and just install Windows over the top. USB conected drives will be fine. You'll just have to add the source to the XBMC system to tell it where to look and what's in that folder.

Note on the organisation of files - it's much better to keep all your TV, MUSIC, MOVIES and PHOTOS in separate top level folders, that way you go to XBMC that, for example, E:\MOVIES is a folder to look at and it'll contain MOVIES (DUH!). Then put all your movies into that folder. You then do the same with your TV stuff, moving it all over to a designated \TV folder.
Yes, you can have more than one folder of the same type, eg:
E:\TV and F:\TV but try to avoid mixing movies and tv in the same folder as XBMC can only be given one 'content type' per folder.

Not sure if that makes it clearer of not!
Old 02-03-2013, 18:07   #137
Jimmyboy
^__^

I tend to put each TV show and Movie in its own dir too, mainly so that when you back up the library you get the info in each specific dir rather than scattered in one massive dir.
Old 02-03-2013, 18:09   #138
Fatbloke

True - that makes it easier for us to search through, but XBMC can handle both sorts of layout. The key is for the top level folder to be consistent.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:49   #139
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

OpenELEC RC4 now released.
Old 05-03-2013, 20:05   #140
Jimmyboy
^__^

How are people finding the new Frodo release? I'm on Eden but it has a fault with the repositories no longer update so you can't access the add-ons, so thinking of changing.