Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 16:17   #241
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Any of them to be honest.

If you also want bitstreaming (HD audio) then you cannot use the 3610 or the 3700. But if you're Ok with DTS and Dolby Digital then those two are fine too. They'll all show 1080p (as long as the data feed is sufficient - go wired if you can.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
dunkle (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 16:44   #242
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
Any of them to be honest.

If you also want bitstreaming (HD audio) then you cannot use the 3610 or the 3700. But if you're Ok with DTS and Dolby Digital then those two are fine too. They'll all show 1080p (as long as the data feed is sufficient - go wired if you can.
So what are the other model numbers besides the 3610 and 3700
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 21:14   #243
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Christ, trying to get Openelec to dual boot is a nightmare. It's easy enough to get Windows and Ubuntu/XBMCbuntu dual booting, but because the OpenElec installer insists on wiping the drive there's no chance. I've tried installing OpenElec first, then Windows and then Ubuntu, and then using grub-customizer to add OpenElec to the Grub menu but I just can't get it working. I can get Openelec listed on the Grub loader but I've not got the settings right to make it load it and just get missing KERNEL, etc file errors.

I noticed that the XBMCbuntu installer now lets you set up wireless when you install, but when installed mine was showing loopback for the DNS address. Is there an easy way of changing wireless settings in XBMCBuntu?

I'd really like to go with OpenELec, but I'd definitely prefer to have Windows on there as well as it's handy for iPlayer (which I can only use through windows as I need to have a VPN running to access it).

Ridiculous that Openelec doesn't install in the same way.....! I've looked as using EasyBCD as well, but I doubt that will work as that needs Windows installing first to run, so as soon as I try to install OpenElec it'll wipe it.
Old 05-06-2013, 22:38   #244
ZrByte
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Christ, trying to get Openelec to dual boot is a nightmare. It's easy enough to get Windows and Ubuntu/XBMCbuntu dual booting, but because the OpenElec installer insists on wiping the drive there's no chance. I've tried installing OpenElec first, then Windows and then Ubuntu, and then using grub-customizer to add OpenElec to the Grub menu but I just can't get it working. I can get Openelec listed on the Grub loader but I've not got the settings right to make it load it and just get missing KERNEL, etc file errors.

I noticed that the XBMCbuntu installer now lets you set up wireless when you install, but when installed mine was showing loopback for the DNS address. Is there an easy way of changing wireless settings in XBMCBuntu?

I'd really like to go with OpenELec, but I'd definitely prefer to have Windows on there as well as it's handy for iPlayer (which I can only use through windows as I need to have a VPN running to access it).

Ridiculous that Openelec doesn't install in the same way.....! I've looked as using EasyBCD as well, but I doubt that will work as that needs Windows installing first to run, so as soon as I try to install OpenElec it'll wipe it.
How about using a different hard drive to where you install ubuntu/windows and selecting it at POST rather than from GRUB?

EDIT: Also what router do you have? could you not set your VPN to run through that? Or buy a cheap DD-WRT router (WRT54G?) and put it inbetween your primary router and your openelec?

EDIT2: Some further reading suggests that VPN may be supported somewhere in openelec 3.x.x and is also an option within the iPlayer plugin itself.
http://openelec.tv/forum/69-network/...openelect-xbmc

Last edited by ZrByte; 05-06-2013 at 22:47.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:36   #245
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
So what are the other model numbers besides the 3610 and 3700
Currently they are on the R70 and R80 (and maybe 90 too now).

I spotted a N230 but that has too small a hard drive (and looks pre-R70 too) only useful if you can store all your media off of the device.

I'd personally only look at the R80 now if you're set on a Revo.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:18   #246
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
How about using a different hard drive to where you install ubuntu/windows and selecting it at POST rather than from GRUB?
It's a Revo so there's only room for one hard drive. I can run Openelec off a USB stick but I'd rather not as it slows it down (there's often a lag in showing the artwork when browsing, etc)

Quote:
EDIT: Also what router do you have? could you not set your VPN to run through that? Or buy a cheap DD-WRT router (WRT54G?) and put it inbetween your primary router and your openelec?
It's an Asus RT-N66u. It does allow me to run a VPN but that would mean everything going through the VPN. The connection here is very unreliable, very up and down (the speeds vary from 16mbps to 1mbps and the ping times range from 30ms to over 1000!) I've been able to use Unotelly's DNS redirection to get things like iPlayer on my iPad and iPod Touch but when I put in the Unotelly DNS address in XBMC and try the addons it doesn't run. I am considering getting a cheap DD-Wrt router just for my smart TV (and could run XBMC through that), but it'd often be too slow to keep a program running without buffering - I've just been downloading programs as it's painful trying to watch something when it buffers every 60 seconds.

I did actually try a modified version of Tomato that lets you specify which devices go through a VPN. It worked, but the wireless speeds were really poor and not worth compromising so I got my money back on that and went back to another version.

Quote:
EDIT2: Some further reading suggests that VPN may be supported somewhere in openelec 3.x.x and is also an option within the iPlayer plugin itself.
http://openelec.tv/forum/69-network/...openelect-xbmc
Looks like it will be available in 3.1, but I'll have a look at the plugin to see if I can add it in there. I paid a year up for Hide my Ass VPN (I didn't want my laptop set up for UnoDNS) as well so I can use that if it does work.

It's a pain though. I do find it handy having Windows on the Revo as well. I may have one more try today but then that's it, I've already spent too long on it!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:30   #247
ZrByte
Trusted User

Quote:
It's a Revo so there's only room for one hard drive. I can run Openelec off a USB stick but I'd rather not as it slows it down (there's often a lag in showing the artwork when browsing, etc)

It's an Asus RT-N66u. It does allow me to run a VPN but that would mean everything going through the VPN. The connection here is very unreliable, very up and down (the speeds vary from 16mbps to 1mbps and the ping times range from 30ms to over 1000!) I've been able to use Unotelly's DNS redirection to get things like iPlayer on my iPad and iPod Touch but when I put in the Unotelly DNS address in XBMC and try the addons it doesn't run. I am considering getting a cheap DD-Wrt router just for my smart TV (and could run XBMC through that), but it'd often be too slow to keep a program running without buffering - I've just been downloading programs as it's painful trying to watch something when it buffers every 60 seconds.

I did actually try a modified version of Tomato that lets you specify which devices go through a VPN. It worked, but the wireless speeds were really poor and not worth compromising so I got my money back on that and went back to another version.

Looks like it will be available in 3.1, but I'll have a look at the plugin to see if I can add it in there. I paid a year up for Hide my Ass VPN (I didn't want my laptop set up for UnoDNS) as well so I can use that if it does work.

It's a pain though. I do find it handy having Windows on the Revo as well. I may have one more try today but then that's it, I've already spent too long on it!
I see I've never had need of a vpn so didn't realise the other issues with doing that. With regards to usb why not meet it halfway and use an external hard drive rather than a pen drive? Should be much quicker.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:39   #248
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Or just a small SD card. OE only takes 200MB and it's plenty quick enough running from one. And I got my remote working - brute forced the Info button by changing every reference to MyPVR to Info in the keyboard.xml file. At some point I may well try to find out which is the single keypress it is, but I'm in no rush.

Last edited by shteve; 06-06-2013 at 07:40.
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54   #249
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Would the read times be quicker from an SD card over a USB stick? Presumably an external USB drive would be faster than both? I completely forgot that the Rev has an SD slot.

Last edited by Stevie G; 06-06-2013 at 08:01.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13   #250
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

There's not much reading once it's up and running. You would have your media on a Hard Drive and OE on the SD card. It also looks neater and less chance of something being knocked rather than a USB stick. I don't use the internal drive on mine for anything (apart from storing win 7!).
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19   #251
ZrByte
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
There's not much reading once it's up and running. You would have your media on a Hard Drive and OE on the SD card. It also looks neater and less chance of something being knocked rather than a USB stick. I don't use the internal drive on mine for anything (apart from storing win 7!).
That's a good point as he could do the same even if he sticks with USB pen drive. Keep the OS on the pen and the cached artwork on the HDD.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40   #252
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

How do you change the location of the cache to the HDD?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:18   #253
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Gah, sod it. I'm going to reinstall with Windows 7 and then XBMCBuntu on the hard drive and run OpenElec from a USB stick (I'll get an SD card when I get the chance and put it on that). That'll give me the back up of XBMCbuntu if I have any probelms with OpenElec.

Just need to work out how to change the wireless adapter settings in XBMC now.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45   #254
ZrByte
Trusted User

Quote:
How do you change the location of the cache to the HDD?
I don't actually know because I've never had to do it but I know its possible. IIRC The database doesn't even have to be on the same system.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58   #255
redvers
Member? FNARR!

I'm using a raspberry pi but the principal is the same... The SD card boots the pi, which runs RaspBMC from USB. The database is running in MariaDB on my WHS2011 box, but the cache is local to the USB stick. When I was running OpenELEC I had the cache on the WHS box too, using an NFS mount...
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17   #256
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

How did you do it though? Great an EXT partition on the hard drive? And how do you point XBMC to that partition?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25   #257
redvers
Member? FNARR!

Quote:
How did you do it though? Great an EXT partition on the hard drive? And how do you point XBMC to that partition?
With openelec on the pi you edit the config so that it mounts the nfs partition as the data partition rather that mounting a section of the USB drive. I imagine it's the same on the non-pi. Can't remember exactly what the syntax is; have a gander on the openelec forums as the information is all there...

(This was to use a partition that was mounted on a PC that was running alongside the pi. I imagine if you have a ext partition on the internal hard drive you can mount it accordingly in the same way once you know the /dev references)
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38   #258
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Keeping your database in mySQL is best tbh. You could then share that with both the XBMCBuntu and OE instances (I think the cache is held there too post Frodo).
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46   #259
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, I used the mySQL method before. It worked fine but it was noticeably slower still. It's not an option for me at the moment though, not until my Microserver turns up! I just have a laptop and the Revo with me at the moment.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53   #260
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

On another note, I changed the skin to Bello the other day as I no longer need to use a mouse/ keyboard (was using Confluence before). I'm really liking it.