Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 14:56   #61
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

Anything that's the flip-side of Clarkson has to be good!
Johnny Vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:02   #62
Jimmyboy
^__^

WTF! LOL
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 19:51   #63
Robin Davies
Trusted User

I liked this a lot more than Dead Set or Nathan Barley, though it's still not up to the standard of Screenwipe and his magnificent Guardian columns which contain some of the best (and wisest) comedy writing of the last ten years.
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 22:34   #64
mamboboy
Legend

Beautiful lead actress aside, I'm finding this second episode incredibly dull and a little bit silly...

Last edited by mamboboy; 11-12-2011 at 22:40.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 22:46   #65
olivetti
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamboboy View Post
Beautiful lead actress aside, I'm finding this second episode incredibly dull and a little bit silly...

A bit like reality TV then.

That was some rant by the lead character but all I could do was picture it being delivered by Brooker :-)
olivetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 22:52   #66
cet
Trusted User

That was beautiful!
cet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 22:55   #67
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

A like for me. Took a while to get going, but prob needs another watch to get the exact detail/ nature of the society it points to. I presume there are no 'real' jobs?
Old 11-12-2011, 23:06   #68
Psycho
Trusted User

I liked it!

My friend did send me a text to say it was boring within the first 15-20mins. I said that was probably a point about people's concentration.

Maybe they filmed the first half in quite a slow pace to see how many people actually stuck with it!

I'm sure the regular X Factor viewers would have been playing FarmVille while watching it!

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 23:21   #69
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

I think there was probably a lot of subtle detail in the first half, which is why it might benefit from another viewing. Last week's episode was definitely more in your face right the way through. Was it ever obviously explained the nature of the society and why people were just cycling rather than doing any sort of proper work?
Old 11-12-2011, 23:25   #70
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vodka View Post
I think there was probably a lot of subtle detail in the first half, which is why it might benefit from another viewing. Last week's episode was definitely more in your face right the way through. Was it ever obviously explained the nature of the society and why people were just cycling rather than doing any sort of proper work?
I think it just jumped in without explaining it... which was okay. It lets you make your own mind up.

There were a few things that I might have missed... I thought there might have been a point with the ginger boy when he was selecting his hair... was the shorter ginger hair more expensive than the bigger version? i.e. to hid your less popular hair you have to pay a higher price?

Psycho
Old 11-12-2011, 23:33   #71
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

There was a line (when the girl was on the show) about people powering the spotlight in the show, so perhaps that was the whole point of everyone's existence and the cycling - to generate power to watch crap and generate avatars, etc? Even the food was made in a lab and the point was made that no-one bought anything 'real'. So basically people were just eating lab food and cycling to generate power to watch either crap reality TV, prOn or play games (with graphics significantly crapper than today's consoles ).

Last edited by Johnny Vodka; 11-12-2011 at 23:34.
Old 11-12-2011, 23:34   #72
Anorakus
Trusted User

I can just about imagine a future where exercise machines in gyms power the National Grid, and the entire economy of the UK is based around the X Factor

A.
Anorakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 23:38   #73
Psycho
Trusted User

It's been a while, but this has made me want to watch Soylent Green again... I think it's out on Blu-Ray.

Psycho
Old 11-12-2011, 23:42   #74
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorakus View Post
I can just about imagine a future where exercise machines in gyms power the National Grid, and the entire economy of the UK is based around the X Factor

A.
Well, yes. The beauty of it is it's not that different from where we are now. Much of last week's episode (certainly in the reaction of the public) wasn't beyond potential reality either; if David Cameron was going to **** a pig on live TV, 90% of the British public would be glued to the box.
Old 11-12-2011, 23:54   #75
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Brooker said that this episode was heavily influenced by XBox Kinect and the Twilight Zone episode Number 12 Looks Just Like You.

I thought all episodes were Brooker's, but next week's is written by Jesse Armstrong.
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 00:00   #76
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGearAl View Post
Brooker said that this episode was heavily influenced by XBox Kinect and the Twilight Zone episode Number 12 Looks Just Like You.
I don't have Kinect, but the cycling through the various apps looks just like the normal Xbox screen.
Old 12-12-2011, 00:08   #77
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Thought tonight's Black Mirror was excellent, much better than last week's. Really liked the way that a lot of the story was told visually instead of dialogue (and am shocked people have been complaining that made it 'slow' and 'boring' (ref: Twttier); clearly they'd hate, say, Silent Running). I knew there was going to be a twist in it with the talent show, but I wasn't expecting what they delivered. **** me, that was well grim. Completely nailed how debased shows like the X Factor have become, though.

The question of why the society is like it was is pretty irrelevant, BTW. It's a classic SFnal thing of putting you right in the middle of a situation where the background details are simply there to be taken at face value, while the main story takes centre stage. So, yes, we know they're cycling on bikes to earn credits, and we know the bikes generate power, but even though we don't know why, we don't need to know why. IYSWIM.

Or to put it another way, no-one watches Doctor Who and demands to know exactly how the TARDIS works and so on - you take the magic blue box at face value and carry on paying attention to the actual story.
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 00:11   #78
Psycho
Trusted User

Did anyone see the Facebook programme on TV the other week? There was one part that could have been straight out of tonight's Black Mirror:

A guy playing a Facebook game where you collect your virtual pets poop! He paid actual money to buy an online big golden and glass case to put one of this treasured "collections" in so that other players could admire it!

It might have been this game:

http://www.playfish.com/?page=game_pets

EDIT: http://petsocietyanonymous.com/category/poo/

Psycho

Last edited by Psycho; 12-12-2011 at 00:12.
Old 12-12-2011, 00:13   #79
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
I liked it!

My friend did send me a text to say it was boring within the first 15-20mins. I said that was probably a point about people's concentration.
The first 15-20 minutes were the best thing about it being quite filmic, the rest went into middling been done before (and much better) territory. By the finish, it negated itself into a sub-par Doctor Who programme (but a very cheeky and norty one) to explain its endgame.

Last edited by jmdomain; 12-12-2011 at 00:15.
jmdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 00:20   #80
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Did anyone see the Facebook programme on TV the other week? There was one part that could have been straight out of tonight's Black Mirror
If you're interested in Facebook satire, you should look up the brilliant, yet utterly mad story of a game called 'Cowclicker'. To give you a taster; "You get a cow. You can click on it. In six hours, you can click it again."
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote