Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 31-05-2011, 11:44   #81
CLH
La Bender

What interests me most of all is the hate for Queen. Where does it stem from? Amazingly accomlished musicians, technically brilliant songwriters and they fully admit that they do so with bombast. With a lot of bands you get grudging respect, what confuses me from the haters is the lack of any respect at all.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:07   #82
douglasb
Suedehead.

It's just an age thing. If you were around in the mid-80s (and subscribed to a certain train of thought) then Queen were just another bunch of 70s rockers who thought the world owed them a living while putting out some seriously MOR material. The Sun City affair did them no favours at a time when society was much more politicised. There was probably a bit of homophobia in there too. It also didn't help that if you ran into a Queen fan, they were almost certainly a terrible Tory Boy who didn't like any other music and would turn red-faced if you dared to diss them.

But distance is a wonderful thing and of course they've been re-evaluated/re-embraced now that music is less tribal. Taylor/May have totally *******ised their legacy, though maybe proper Queen fans are more forgiving.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:17   #83
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

I'm a huge fan of everything the band did in the 70s, enjoy most of their 80s output and love the small amount of stuff they did in the 90s. I admit though, I really dislike just about everything Brian and Roger have done since the latter half of the 90s (the musical, Paul Rodgers stuff) and tend to avoid it.

Just to put my point of view in context, I was born in 1981 and grew up with their songs on the radio, but didn't really discover the band properly until 1989. I don't have any friends who particularly like Queen - and a couple who actively scorn them, one due to a dislike of the big multilayered sounds (which is exactly what I love) and one due to pure homophobia.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:22   #84
DeadYankee

Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
It's just an age thing. If you were around in the mid-80s (and subscribed to a certain train of thought) then Queen were just.....
"chicken in a basket" rock music.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:25   #85
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
What interests me most of all is the hate for Queen. Where does it stem from? Amazingly accomlished musicians, technically brilliant songwriters and they fully admit that they do so with bombast. With a lot of bands you get grudging respect, what confuses me from the haters is the lack of any respect at all.
Because during the 80's/90's they were every Mum's favourite rock band. (Mum's who only owned Hits 1 & 2 admittedly.)

What right minded teenager wants to listen to the same records as their mum.

Personally i really like the Queen of the 1st part of the doc. But I hate the stuff they made after the 70's. But then just about every major rock act went cack in the 80's.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:48   #86
ian turner
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
What right minded teenager wants to listen to the same records as their mum.
Considering the popularity of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and AC/DC amongst youf these days quite a lot it seems
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:48   #87
douglasb
Suedehead.

There were a slew of acts that were ripe for a kicking: Queen, Bowie, Status Quo, Phil Collins - basically anyone who would go to the press moaning that Radio 1 wouldn't play their new single. Do I hate Mark Knopfler any more? 'Course not but if a Queen fan liked a 2nd band, it was Dire Straits.

Quo were terrible serial complainers and it was hard to sympathise given the utter crap they were putting out at the time. Inevitably, I heard something from their new (Tesco exclusive) album and it was pretty rocking.
Old 31-05-2011, 13:21   #88
jpig
Trusted User

They were also quite savvy 'businessmen' when it came to music and tend to follow the mood of things instead of carving their own path. This is what waters down the band the further into their career you go. The most accurate thing I saw in the docu was when they looked back at their earlier material in disbelief that they even could do that kind of thing. Nowadays, the couldn't. Musically, they basically got complacent once they'd made it.

Most of the Queen hate is just anti-popularity because you can't be fashionable and popular. The fact that Taylor and May would sell their legacy so cheaply with 'stunt casting', jukebox musicals, X Factor appearances, Britney Spears collaberations etc doesn't really help support the idea that they are serious musicians.

Most Queen fans would be happy if they just got back to doing what they do well: recording and touring and trying to be a little bit dangerous, musically. Innuendo was a sign of this, but I think that part of Queen died in 1991.

Last edited by jpig; 31-05-2011 at 13:23.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:32   #89
CLH
La Bender

It's a start, but NO respect at all. Why? The music, whilst different to what some wanted, was still very good music (a lot of AKOM is crap though). I'm not sure about the musical complaceny. Hot Space was ill judged but never complacent, The Works is 2 songs short of being very good. The Miracle is two opening songs away from being excellent. And yes, they reached a pinnacle not seen since the 70's in innuendo, perhaps one of the most complete albums.
Old 31-05-2011, 20:37   #90
douglasb
Suedehead.

I don't know if anyone is gonna be able to give you any more that what's already been said. I'm looking at their discography and my guess is that there's probably a line after 'Jazz' maybe where the perception changed among the people who get to decide these things.

As a Queen aficionado you can make a case for any of the subsequent albums in terms of craft, performance, production or whatever but they're not the ones that Queen's rep is built upon. It's just what happens when a band has a long career. Fans can find worth long after the fact, whereas it's easier for history to just pick out a period. Most people don't need anything by Bowie after about 1980 but fans can find worth in all manner of things he did after that.
Thanked once by:
CLH (31-05-2011)
Old 31-05-2011, 21:54   #91
Marv
Friday the 13th

Enjoyed the documentary, pity it did'nt mention there work on the Highlander soundtrack since they never seem to talk about it in interviews and they could have done with showing abit more of the unseen footage. No dout there's still shed loads of footage in the Queen Poductions archives.
Old 31-05-2011, 23:03   #92
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
The Miracle is two opening songs away from being excellent.
I love Party and Khasoggis Ship! Hate the turgid My Baby Does and Rain Must Fall. Was It All Worth It is one of the best Queen songs of them all.
Old 31-05-2011, 23:13   #93
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Khashoggi's Ship is definitely one of the best things on the album - can't say the same for Party, though! I was never that enamoured with The Miracle (the song, or the album) but Scandal and Was It All Worth It are simply stunning songs.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32   #94
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Was It All Worth It is one of the best Queen songs of them all.
QFT - I had no idea about it until about 8 years ago when I picked-up the rest of the albums I was missing. Talk about discovering a gem
Old 01-06-2011, 07:24   #95
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
I love Party and Khasoggis Ship! Hate the turgid My Baby Does and Rain Must Fall. Was It All Worth It is one of the best Queen songs of them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Khashoggi's Ship is definitely one of the best things on the album - can't say the same for Party, though! I was never that enamoured with The Miracle (the song, or the album) but Scandal and Was It All Worth It are simply stunning songs.
I like the songs but you need strong openers and I'm not sure they cut it, even though they are clearly designed as such.
Old 01-06-2011, 19:19   #96
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
I don't have any friends who particularly like Queen - and a couple who actively scorn them, one due to a dislike of the big multilayered sounds (which is exactly what I love) and one due to pure homophobia.
Your homophobic friend deserves a slap.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22   #97
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
His solo stuff was a bit hit and miss. A fair bit of variety in there, which means most people would find something they would like but personally I find the whole Barcelona opera album unlistenable. Most of his other stuff is very disco, and it's generally not bad at all mostly because of his wonderful vocal melodies, unfortunately they are over very generic and dull backing tracks. I do prefer the remixes of much of this material that were done shortly after his death.
Agree with most of that.

I like most of the stuff on Mr Bad Guy a great deal - even more than the remixes/Queen versions that came later (though I love the extended remix of Living On My Own) - but these days I only listen to 2/3 tracks on Barcelona. I also love his version of The Great Pretender

Quote:
There's some real treasures on the bonus discs of rarieties, though. My favourite stuff is probably the tracks released under the name 'Larry Lurex', he sounds so young.
Is this any different to the 6/8 CDs that accompanied the huge 'faux leather bound' book ? I still have that somewhere in a cupboard ... it also contained outtakes from recording sessions for Barcelona done at his house with Montserrat.

On a similar theme - Roger's 'pure' solo work is pretty dire (though I could listen to most of the The Cross output all day long) but Brian's is pretty good (especially IMHO Back To The Light and The Star Fleet 'project')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Enjoyed the documentary, pity it did'nt mention there work on the Highlander soundtrack since they never seem to talk about it in interviews
Not sure what that there is a lot to say about it ? I have never considered it a Queen soundtrack, in the same way that Flash is, as it has always sounded, to me, like a film with a load of Queen songs dumped in the audio at various points ... if that makes sense. Bar "Gimme The Prize", there is nothing in AKOM overtly linked to Highlander at all IMHO.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 04-06-2011 at 10:29.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39   #98
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Disagree with the Barcelona album - I thought (and still think) it was a triumph and I listen to it more than the original, very dated disco-type songs on Mr Bad Guy. As songs themselves Mr Bad Guy is a very strong selection, but for me they need to be the alternative versions on some of the CDs in the Freddie Mercury Solo Collection (the big book version), or the Queen versions of 'I Was Born to Love You' and 'Made in Heaven', which are fixtures in my music playlist. I guess it's just down to good old fashioned personal taste.
Old 04-06-2011, 14:30   #99
jpig
Trusted User

Yeah agreed - when Brian and Roger (and John, although not much apparently as Brian played most of the bass) "Queen-y-fied" the Freddie songs there were standouts. The originals are dated - too much gated drum machine. Although She Blows Hot And Cold, a B side from that time, is excellent. I love Barcelona - but the synth orchestral arrangements annoy me.

Word is that Brian and Roger are currently Queen-y-fying the Freddie and Michael Jackson tracks for release. And there is a project called 'Forever Queen' due out at the end of the year which is shrouded in secrecy. So there might be some more 'Queen' to come before the rest the project once and for all.
Old 04-06-2011, 16:49   #100
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:

. And there is a project called 'Forever Queen' due out at the end of the year which is shrouded in secrecy. .
Is that the multi tracked sound of a barrel being scrapped?
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote