Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 23-05-2011, 16:30   #61
Guest 1330
No Wakka for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo71 View Post
For anybody interested I noticed that four out of the original batch of five releases were down to £6 in my local HMV yesterday
I had a look in my local store and they had some for £6 too. I didn't look closely to see which versions they were as I didn't realise until I got home and read this that there were different versions! I picked up A Night At The Opera (which was the 2cd version) for £6. Have owned the greatest hits CDs for years but being a very casual listener of Queen (and music in general these days!) haven't actually listened to any full Queen albums! Had to get this one... it's got Bohemian Rhapsody on it!

They also had a couple of 2011 remasters of 'Queen' for £4 (just the single disc version I think), plus some in the rack for £6 that could have just more pricey due to the usual odd HMV pricing but probably were the 2cd versions (I didn't look). They had the Deep Cuts CD for £4 too.

Last edited by Fozzybear; 23-05-2011 at 16:36.
Guest 1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 18:59   #62
Guest 79606
Trusted User

I never knew that there was single disc remasters but I went to my local HMV tonight and can confirm that Queen, Queen II, A Night At The Opera and Sheer Heart Attack are all double disc sets and are all £6 each.
Guest 79606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Ste7en (24-05-2011)
Old 24-05-2011, 22:38   #63
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
A new BBC 2-part documentary called 'A Certain Band Called Queen' is scheduled to be shown in the coming weeks, apparantly. They are saying it contains a lot of previously unseen stuff. Here's hoping.
This is on over the bank holiday weekend, & is now called 'Queen - Days of Our Lives'

Part 1 Sunday 29th, 10pm BBC2
Part 2 Monday 30th, 10pm BBC2
(part 2 is followed at 11pm by the 'Legendary 1975 Concert' from the Hammersmith Odeon, Christmas Eve 1975)

aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 07:56   #64
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Oh, any indication if the concert is being shown unedited this time? They did a brilliant remastering job of it and said it was for a new DVD release...about 2 years ago.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 17:26   #65
hallanthony
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
This is on over the bank holiday weekend, & is now called 'Queen - Days of Our Lives'

Part 1 Sunday 29th, 10pm BBC2
Part 2 Monday 30th, 10pm BBC2
(part 2 is followed at 11pm by the 'Legendary 1975 Concert' from the Hammersmith Odeon, Christmas Eve 1975)

For the HD viewers amongst us both parts are on on Monday 30th from 9pm
hallanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:26   #66
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Is the Christmas Eve Hammersmith gig the one with Freddie singing "Big Spender" ? Or was that at the Rainbow ?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 13:01   #67
gjkendall
Gooner

Having only ever heard the singles..I am really enjoying the first 5 albums. Looking forward to the next wave...and the documentary in HD on the 30th!

I am toying with buying into Freddies solo material...that boxset must be due a reissue, it is a tad expensive at the moment!
Old 26-05-2011, 13:11   #68
ian turner
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Is the Christmas Eve Hammersmith gig the one with Freddie singing "Big Spender" ? Or was that at the Rainbow ?
Hammersmith as part of a medley
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 13:39   #69
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
I am toying with buying into Freddies solo material...that boxset must be due a reissue, it is a tad expensive at the moment!
His solo stuff was a bit hit and miss. A fair bit of variety in there, which means most people would find something they would like but personally I find the whole Barcelona opera album unlistenable. Most of his other stuff is very disco, and it's generally not bad at all mostly because of his wonderful vocal melodies, unfortunately they are over very generic and dull backing tracks. I do prefer the remixes of much of this material that were done shortly after his death.

There's some real treasures on the bonus discs of rarieties, though. My favourite stuff is probably the tracks released under the name 'Larry Lurex', he sounds so young.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 26-05-2011 at 13:40.
Old 26-05-2011, 14:29   #70
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
His solo stuff was a bit hit and miss. A fair bit of variety in there, which means most people would find something they would like but personally I find the whole Barcelona opera album unlistenable. Most of his other stuff is very disco, and it's generally not bad at all mostly because of his wonderful vocal melodies, unfortunately they are over very generic and dull backing tracks. I do prefer the remixes of much of this material that were done shortly after his death.

There's some real treasures on the bonus discs of rarieties, though. My favourite stuff is probably the tracks released under the name 'Larry Lurex', he sounds so young.
Well that has made me have second thoughts!

I did like 'Living On My Own', it may well of been released after his death, so I guess that was a remix and not an original production.
Old 26-05-2011, 14:44   #71
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Yes, the version of Living on My Own that got to number 1 in 1992 was a remix. The original was from the 1983 'Mr. Bad Guy' album and sounds quite different (and certainly is less interesting).

All the remix stuff is in the box set, though.
Old 28-05-2011, 19:36   #72
hallanthony
Trusted User

Picked up the first four remasters (2cd ones) for £6 in-store HMV plus Deep Cuts for £4 - so thanks for the tip everyone

Last edited by hallanthony; 28-05-2011 at 19:36.
hallanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 22:28   #73
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A pretty decent documentary, I thought, but it felt very light. Most of it was stuff seen many times before, but some of the new footage was rather lovely (not all that much of it, though). It skipped over a lot of the music as I thought it would - thankfully not a big focus on BoRhap.

Really liked the lovely story about Brian getting his dad's approval, many of Roger's more scathing comments and the footage of Freddie on the 'Day of our Lives' shoot was absolutely shocking to see.
Old 31-05-2011, 00:50   #74
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Outstanding doucmentary I thought; it was always going to be difficult to cover the lot in real depth in two hours (the first 20 years imparticular) but I liked the things they decided to focus on (like LHG says it wasn't just Bohemian Rhapsody). I did think they would go further with the post-Freddie stuff - not that there was any need to do so, I just expected it.

The colour video of the recording of the Days of our Lives video was almost unwatchable. Just so unbearable seeing the great man like that. His spirit was unbreakable

I like that they focused a bit on Mother Love as that rarely gets talked about despite the sadness of it being "unfinished". I expected to hear the story of the recording of Show Must Go On, where Brian was concerned the lyrics would be physically too much for Freddie, but he just threw back another drink and belted it out regardless. Still the most impressive vocals I've heard (and my favourite song).
Old 31-05-2011, 06:51   #75
CLH
La Bender

What an utterly awesome, amazing man he was. Incredible.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 07:55   #76
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Think I'm going to watch this on the iPlayer in the week.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:09   #77
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

I'm not a massive Queen fan, but thoroughly enjoyed the documentary - always like hearing the candid opinions of well-established musicians.

Also, huge lulz at Freddie calling Sid Vicious 'Simon Ferocious'
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:21   #78
ian turner
Trusted User

The American critic was a knob.
"They're called Queen but they're all guys"
"Why call an album Jazz?"
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:31   #79
jpig
Trusted User

Agreed, was nice. Would like to see an extended version with a bit more input from the new interviews with Brian and Roger. Thought that John was massively overlooked in the first part, but part two seemed to put this right somewhat.

The footage of Freddie on Days Of Our Lives video was awful - love the fact that he wanted to do it at all as surely it would have been easier to do a clip compilation a la Show Must Go On.

But a good documentary, all the same. Some new bits in there too, which was lovely to see.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:34   #80
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I think the American guy was quoting what the American press was saying at the time.

Looking back at the documentary, there are some fairly huge omissions which I think were a bit to important to miss; notably, there was almost nothing about Brian's homemade guitar or the playing styles of him and Roger. The 'A Kind of Magic' album was skipped over (just the tour was noted), as was most of 'The Miracle' and there was nothing about the band's work with the movies Flash Gordon or Highlander. The diversity of the songwriting, especially in the earlier albums, was not noted, nor was there any real focus on the actual music of the band, their influences, what they wanted to achieve with their sound, etc.

The thing which has really bugged me though is the way that John Deacon was hardly mentioned. I know he wants no part of what Queen do now and he appeared in some archive footage, but the documentary really seemed to do the bare minimum to even acknowledge his existence.

But, as a documentary that wanted to tell the STORY of the band, it works. This was more about personalities and events, and on that level it was enjoyable. Still, I would still rate the 'Champions of the World' documentary as a much better and much more complete viewing experience (despite its horrifically choppy editing).