Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 29-01-2015, 16:04   #321
Werdna007
Trusted User

The good feedback in this thread has spiked my interest - I will definitely have to look into going to see them in Feb in Zurich.

I have been a long time fan since seeing them in Earl's Court many, many years ago - and I have very fond memories of Freddie's performances in the 3 times I saw them live.

I avoided the Paul Roger's shows and disc.

It will be interesting to Adam's performance (hopefully as good as people are saying)
Werdna007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 20:55   #322
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

I would've gone to see Brian and Roger regardless of the singer they were working with, but Lambert was quite outstanding at the Manchester show. I never had the privilege of seeing Freddie so I can't imagine anyone will ever compare, but Lambert has been touring with them for while now and he's very comfortable with the back catalogue at this point, so I doubt anyone will do any better at this stage. Regardless, Brian and Roger during the shows put men half their age to shame, so that'll almost be worth the price alone IMHO.
Old 29-01-2015, 20:59   #323
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Thought I had missed the boat but I see they are also playing Wembley Arena ( or whatever it is called now ) next month
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 21:00   #324
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I saw them in Birmingham last Friday. I'd got no interest in going (girlfriend's suggestion) and was more looking forward to Slipknot/Korn this week. Queen and Lambert blew them away.

The bit in the middle where Lambert goes for a break could've done with being a bit shorter though.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 16:09   #325
Jonny G
Trusted User

Saw them in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago and have to agree that the section without Lambert couldve been shorter. But any doubters missed a great show as Lambert fitted in really well and I think has given Taylor and May a new energy. In fact I doubt the songs have sounded much better in the post-Live Aid years.
Old 16-07-2015, 18:49   #326
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Gorgeous looking newly complete vinyl album set coming out.
http://studiocollection.queenonline.com/
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Robby (23-07-2015)
Old 21-07-2015, 19:27   #327
mikegray
Trusted User

Comparatively cheap at Amazon Italy

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00V5OE9AM/
Old 23-07-2015, 18:12   #328
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
That's a pretty swish looking boxset that's making my credit card twitch.
Old 12-10-2015, 15:12   #329
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Nice chrimbo pressie
http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-a...november-20th/
Old 12-10-2015, 15:16   #330
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Finally! They've been teasing us with this release for 5+ years. Can't wait!
Old 12-10-2015, 15:51   #331
platty

Bit disappointed the blu and DVD don't contain seven seas and see what a fool
Old 12-10-2015, 17:53   #332
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
Bit disappointed the blu and DVD don't contain seven seas and see what a fool
Yeah I don't like that either. Fine, they haven't got video for those songs, but why not montage some stills or something on the screen whilst the audio plays? Hell they could cut to black if they want and it would be fine, but don't just drop the songs completely.

Other than that I'm looking forward to this - it's been a long wait
Old 30-10-2015, 09:56   #333
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

40th anniversary of Bohemian Rhapsody, if you haven't noticed. Gonna be a lot of promo stuff going around, documentaries on radio/TV. Personally it's a song I'm pretty sick of, despite recognising what a monumental beast of composition and technical accomplishment it is.

I'll be in the corner listening to Sheer Heart Attack.
Old 11-11-2015, 14:01   #334
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

So, despite the rumours Queen are not playing Glastonbury But - they are the headline act at the Isle of Wight festival.

Sorely tempted to go but .... £400 for a pair of tickets (day tickets are not available), no other news on the rest of the line up and it being the weekend after I get back from a week long holiday in France (for 4) which cost less than £400 says otherwise.
Old 11-11-2015, 15:05   #335
jpig
Trusted User

At those prices, I'd hold out for an early 2017 tour, like earlier in the year.

Interested to see them sticking with Adam Lambert - they were fantastic in Manchester this year. New material is the obvious next step, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 20:45   #336
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I think you're right; there is only so long they can get away with touring with just Lambert singing the greatest hits.
Old 17-11-2015, 12:28   #337
jpig
Trusted User

For those who thought the William Orbit mix of 'There Must Be More To Life Than This' was a bit of a botch, this has been 'found'.

I strongly suspect that it's the roots / guts of the May / Taylor version they weren't allowed to release. And it's much better.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Dxfatass (19-11-2015)
Old 19-11-2015, 10:33   #338
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

New Brian write up on the status of the Freddie movie, refuting the rumours that circulated these past few years:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian May
Some reports have Sony making decisions about writers, etc, but that’s not the case. Sony simply have an option to pick it up, or not, once we’ve all signed off (Roger, Jim Beach, Graham King and myself) on a script we believe in. Contrary to rumour, the project has never been ‘adrift’ - and Sacha Baron Cohen didn’t walk out due to artistic differences (even though his management put that story out). It was our decision. We simply realised that we wouldn’t get the believable portrayal of Freddie Mercury we needed from Sacha, so we, as considerately and diplomatically as we could, moved on. Sacha is a great comedy character creator, but we need someone who will actually 'suspend disbelief’ so that we believe we are really watching Freddie on screen. More annoying to us was the rather mischievous impression given (and still believed by some) that we were shrinking from telling the truth, and ‘sanitising’ Freddie’s story in some way. In fact, the opposite is true. Anyone who knows us knows we have NEVER done anything by halves, and this will be no exception. The film will be devastatingly truthful, and will do Freddie justice as a human being, as well as channel his immense musical energy and the power of Queen in our Golden Days. We could never settle for anything less. It’s actually an incredible challenge to make this happen, and that’s why it’s not been quick. It will be worth the wait.

Our Producer Graham King is firmly at the helm of the ship, as he has been from the start, with incredible persistence and faith. As for casting, we are certainly hoping that Ben Whishaw will turn out to be the man to bring Freddie to life; I’ve (and Roger has) already spoken about Ben in interviews, so that’s no secret. But it remains to be seen whether the planets will align for that to happen. I’ve also recently talked in interviews about screenwriter, Anthony McCarten, who is now doing some fantastic work, collaborating closely with us. There are some radical new developments in ideas, and at this moment I’m more excited than I’ve ever been about the film’s potential. But the rest ? We’ll make an announcement when we’re ready. It may be soon.
Thanked once by:
Dxfatass (19-11-2015)
Old 19-11-2015, 17:40   #339
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
For those who thought the William Orbit mix of 'There Must Be More To Life Than This' was a bit of a botch, this has been 'found'.

I strongly suspect that it's the roots / guts of the May / Taylor version they weren't allowed to release. And it's much better.
Wow, that sounds amazing! Those vocals Just stunning

It could be a fan mix of course, but I'd probably think it's genuine from Queen given how "fresh" those vocals sound. I've been expecting a leak of the Queen version ever since it came out that they hadn't been granted permission to release their version, but I can't remember if it was ever confirmed that Brian and Roger had finished it before the Jackson estate rejected it? I'd seriously love to hear a complete version based on this.

Hopefully one day
Old 22-11-2015, 09:17   #340
platty

Getting the Bluray of Odeon for chrimbo , but listening to the album on Spotify , it sounds stunning whoever has remastered it have done an incredible job , if you didnt know it was 40 years old you would think it was recorded yesterday , incredible stuff