Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 23-01-2011, 19:47   #41
Guest 21225

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaity View Post
Jtarry - How much would you want for the Hate issues?
hi Slaity

Just so I dont get in trouble with the mods, I've copied my list into a new thread over in the classifieds
here and added prices, if you want to take a look...

Old 23-01-2011, 22:22   #42
Guest 3835

Just finished Blackest Night (was reading concurrently with the GL and GLC titles)... and really enjoyed it! The best "event" I have read from DC... tempted to pick up all the spin offs now. Excellent!
Old 23-01-2011, 23:54   #43
Disappearer
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
So whats the story on Fantastoc Four, or Three as it seems to going to be
One of the FF will die (for the time being) - expect it to be spoilerised all over the internet from Tuesday as various newsites run with the story. Unlikely to be as big as the Death of Cap, but if it's a slow news day then you never know!
Disappearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 06:51   #44
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
£12.34 online at WHSmith
Direct LINK
This has now been dispatched to my local store
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 23:05   #45
Guest 32525

Anyone know what's going on with the Vertigo trades at the moment?

Decided to start picking up Transmetropolitan. Found the first volume with no problem, but the second seems to be out of print and can't find it in stock anywhere. Having the same problem with Y - the Last Man. Bought the first five volumes years ago and figured it was about time I finished my collection, but can't get any of the remaining paperbacks new. Figured I'd cut my losses, sell the five books I have and pick up the hardcovers instead, but can't seem to find those either!

Anyone know any places that have these in-stock for a reasonable price or if Vertigo are planning reprints any time soon?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:44   #46
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Anyone know what's going on with the Vertigo trades at the moment?

Decided to start picking up Transmetropolitan. Found the first volume with no problem, but the second seems to be out of print and can't find it in stock anywhere. Having the same problem with Y - the Last Man. Bought the first five volumes years ago and figured it was about time I finished my collection, but can't get any of the remaining paperbacks new. Figured I'd cut my losses, sell the five books I have and pick up the hardcovers instead, but can't seem to find those either!

Anyone know any places that have these in-stock for a reasonable price or if Vertigo are planning reprints any time soon?
The Book Depository have most of the Y deluxe editions HERE

Amazon.com have all the Y for just under $20 and in stock for just under the $20 and the Transmetropolitan for just over $10 in stock.
Books are still VAT free so there will be no import duty on them.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:32   #47
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Man, those Y books are tempting... I wonder how badly my wife will rape me if I get them...

I've got all the singles though, so can't really justify it

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 07-02-2011 at 10:35.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 19:05   #48
Guest 32525

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
The Book Depository have most of the Y deluxe editions HERE

Amazon.com have all the Y for just under $20 and in stock for just under the $20 and the Transmetropolitan for just over $10 in stock.
Books are still VAT free so there will be no import duty on them.
Fantastic, thanks

Can't really say no to those Y Amazon prices.
Old 16-02-2011, 07:39   #49
new
Sand Dab

An ABSOLUTE IDENTITY CRISIS is on its way:
Quote:
ABSOLUTE IDENTITY CRISIS HC
Written by BRAD MELTZER
Art and cover by RAGS MORALES and MICHAEL BAIR
“The IDENTITY CRISIS mystery uses all of Mr. Meltzer’s skills as a thriller novelist.” — The New York Times
“A genuine comics landmark.” — Publishers Weekly
The unforgettable 7-issue miniseries from New York Times best-selling novelist Brad Meltzer (Dead Even) is now in DC’s Absolute format! Starring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the entire Justice League, this is the widely talked-about tale of intrigue and an inventive look at the world of Super Heroes, fantastic powers and secret identities.
When the spouse of a JLA member is brutally murdered, the entire super hero community searches for the killer, fearing their own loved ones may be the next targets. Before the mystery is solved, a number of long-buried secrets will threaten to divide the heroes before they can bring the killer to justice.
This gripping mystery includes a gallery of the variant covers, previously unpublished script pages and more!
Advance solicited • On sale OCTOBER 12 • 288 pg, FC, 8.25” x 12.5”, $99.99 US
Old 16-02-2011, 08:16   #50
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Not sure that book particulalrly suits the Absolute format myself, I think there are plenty of more "worthy" series out there that should be getting that treatment myself...

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 08:22   #51
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Not sure that book particulalrly suits the Absolute format myself, I think there are plenty of more "worthy" series out there that should be getting that treatment myself...
I think Ill get it, BUT as you say there are quite a few others I would rather have been done.
Old 22-02-2011, 21:00   #52
Guest 78654

The General Comics and Graphic Novels Thread part 2 ?!?!

Only recently got into comic books, my mate has introduced me to them although I've always been interested in the characters and knowing roughly what was going on I've only just recently started reading them. I've started on DC and I have read 52 on my friends recommendation and loved it so I'm now reading infinite crisis and then gonna read final crisis. I couldn't start on crisis on infinite earths as the retroness of it kinda annoyed me and I couldn't have stuck with it. I'd like to start on the blackest night series but was wondering what others I should read first so I know the full backstory as well as what green lanterns I should read to understand everything fully, I know basics lol. I'm going to ask my friend as well but thought I'd ask you lot too.
Old 23-02-2011, 20:58   #53
Guest 3835

I would read the new Green Lantern saga by Geoff Johns from scratch right up to BN to be honest... Quite a few books, but outstanding stuff!
Old 25-02-2011, 21:58   #54
Guest 78654

The General Comics and Graphic Novels Thread part 2 ?!?!

Thanks, What's the start of that? What's the series called?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:04   #55
new
Sand Dab

Powers TV pilot is given the go ahead:

Quote:
‘Powers’ Gets The Green Light At FX
FX is one of those networks that are easy to forget about, but pay attention they are doing some interesting stuff over there. Currently the network has a couple of fantastic shows, Justified and Sons of Anarchy, and one odd but entertaining animated series, Archer. Now it seems that they are getting into the superhero game and they may actually be getting some talented folks behind the camera. Sure that sounds snarky but when you look at shows like The Cape and you read everything that’s happening with the upcoming Wonder Woman series, it’s easy to get a little jaded when it comes to “superhero” shows or adaptations of comics to TV.

FX has greenlit a pilot for an adaptation of Brian Michael Bendis‘ amazing comic book series called Powers. FX Senior Vice President of Public Relations John Soldberg made the official announcement on Twitter.

Bendis replied on Twitter, “Powers pilot was just greenlit by FX! It’s official! Your window of reading Powers while it was still cool is running out.” Powers was initially set to be a film from Sony Pictures back in 2001, but Bendis revealed in February 2009 that a television series was in development at FX. Sony is co-producing the series with FX.

As previously mentioned the series has a solid creative team behind it with the pilot being directed by executive producer Michael Dinner (Justified, Sons of Anarchy) and the script being penned by Charles Eglee, former executive producer of The Walking Dead and part of the creative team behind such television series as The Shield and Dexter.

If you aren’t familiar with Powers you really should be. The series started in 2000 and was published by Image Comics until 2004 when it moved to Marvel’s Icon banner. The series focuses on homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, as they investigate cases involving “powers” (people with superhuman abilities) in an alternate universe where superheroes and super villains are common.

There’s a lot of great story content in these comics for the creative team behind the TV series to make use of and hopefully they will rather than just falling back on the case of the week. The other challenge with this series is that it needs a grounded and believable style and presentation. It’s OK to be a comic book, just do it in a way that’s grounded. When Heroes was at its best that series really did a good job of making that world feel real. The Cape on the other hand constantly looks like a cheap syndicated series rather than a major network show. The Walking Dead also does a great job of making zombies look commonplace so maybe some of that expertise is coming to Powers.
and what looks like 'perfect' casting:
Quote:
Katee Sackhoff to star in 'Powers'?
Katee Sackhoff has revealed that she is in talks to star in new FX project Powers.

It was previously reported that the cable network had ordered a pilot episode based on the comic book by writer Brian Michael Bendis.

Responding to a fan query on Twitter, former Battlestar Galactica actress Sackhoff wrote: "[I] already met on Powers last year! I love it! I've just been waiting for a green light to go after it!"

Powers follows two homicide detectives as they investigate crimes committed by super-powered criminals.

Sackhoff is believed to be under consideration for the lead role of Deena Pilgrim, the partner to former costumed hero Christian Walker.

The Powers pilot will be scripted by Walking Dead writer Charles Eglee and helmed by Law & Order director Michael Dinner.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37   #56
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Vertigo has announced the fifth volume in its Absolute Sandman series.

The publisher unveiled the oversized book on its official Graphic Content blog.

It collects three graphic novels - The Sandman: Endless Nights, which features stories of each of Morpheus's dysfunctional family, The Sandman: The Dream Hunters in both its prose and comic forms, and the rare Sandman Midnight Theatre, which stars both Neil Gaiman's Sandman and the Golden Age version of Wesley Dodds.

Absolute Sandman will be released in November.
Old 19-03-2011, 13:02   #57
Guest 32525

Got my Y deluxe editions today. So gorgeous.

Little worried as it's beginning to put me in the mood to upgrade all my other trades to HCs
Old 20-03-2011, 16:01   #58
gjkendall
Gooner

Clive Barker is re-visiting the Hellraiser franchise...

"One of the greatest horror franchises of all time returns, now under the control of its original creator! Clive Barker has touched Hellraiser only twice: once to write The Hellbound Heart, and once more to write and direct the original Hellraiser film. Now witness Barker's long-awaited return to tell a new chapter in the series' official continuity — a trajectory that will forever change the Cenobites... and Pinhead! So prepare your soul for an epic journey into horror from one of the medium's greatest voices, and starring one of the medium's greatest characters, in an unforgettable new chapter of Hellraiser."

Issue 1 out next week!
Old 27-03-2011, 15:29   #59
gjkendall
Gooner

The new Hellraiser is superb...essentially carrying on from the events of Hellraiser 2. The Harrowers are also going to be involved (if you a familiar with Hellraiser mythology)
Old 28-03-2011, 12:01   #60
Questor
Pharmatron

So, anyone getting current books have any recommendations of what to read?

Been out of it for a cpl years and I've been reading Blackest Night and enjoying that, trying to decide whether Brightest Day is worth a read, or anything else?
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote