Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 23-07-2010, 15:39   #1
avid fan
Trusted User

Question Stephen King recommendations (beyond the usual…)

Hi folks,

Surprised to see Mr King didn’t have a general thread, so thought I’d start one up for general recommendations..

I usually dip in and out of Stephen King - I read IT a long time ago, and remember reading Dreamcatcher too, loving them both. More recently I read The Stand -also great, although I thought it drifted off towards the end. I’ve just started on Night Shift.

I’ve got a renewed interest in horror (though don’t let that limit recommendations), and picked up Salem’s Lot today, together with Insomnia (a blind purchase). However, I was surprised at how many titles had his name on that I hadn’t heard of and was after some guidance.

I have to admit to being put off some of his books if I’ve already seen tv adaptations – I know the Tommyknockers and Needful Things are frequently recommended, but whenever I hear of them I just think of Jimmy Smits, or Bonnie Bedelia!. Are these up there with his best?

Another one I saw and nearly bought was The Talisman (one of his co-writing efforts) – any comments?
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 15:43   #2
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

I struggle with his books. If they are too long, I get pretty bored because his writing style is so referential of pop culture. I got pretty far in both It and Dreamcatcher, but couldn't finish them, they just felt overlong.

His masterpiece by a long way is The Dark Tower series, and a big part of that is because it doesn't feel like typical Stephen King (epic dark fantasy in a western setting, if you don't know). Books 2, 3 and 5 in particular are incredibly well written and exciting (people often say they love book 4, but it didn't work for me). The first book is a little difficult to get through, but it's very short. I was probably one of the few who really liked the way book 7 ended it all.

I also really enjoyed The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, nice and short and genuinely creeped me out. Carrie is very overrated, I think, I didn't really enjoy it.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 23-07-2010 at 15:45.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 15:52   #3
LouBarlow
Retired Member

All the usual suspects really. Pet Sematary, Misery, The Shining. The Bachman books, in particular The Long Walk, is also a fine, fine read. Generally, I find it best to ignore everything he has done *after* his health problems, barring Under the Dome which was a somewhat return to form.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 23-07-2010 at 15:54.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 16:09   #4
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
His masterpiece by a long way is The Dark Tower series, and a big part of that is because it doesn't feel like typical Stephen King (epic dark fantasy in a western setting, if you don't know). Books 2, 3 and 5 in particular are incredibly well written and exciting (people often say they love book 4, but it didn't work for me). The first book is a little difficult to get through, but it's very short. I was probably one of the few who really liked the way book 7 ended it all.
Thanks, I am a fan of the Dark Tower series. Well, the start of it anyway.

I’ve listened to the Gunslinger audiobook and started the second one, also on audiobook (though I’m finding the second harder to stick with). I’m keen to try and get the whole set at a discount, but I don’t know how likely that is…
Old 23-07-2010, 18:26   #5
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Tommyknockers - forget the miniseries (a huge diappointment). While the book has its detractors, for me it's one of his best.

Insomnia - good choice for a blind buy. It has some links to The Dark Tower series, but works perfectly well as a standalone.

The Talisman - truly superb, not a dry eye in the house. Worth checking out some of his co-writer Peter Straub's material - Ghost Story, Shadowland, Floating Dragon. The Black House is a follow-up, but wasn't so sure about it.

The Shining is unexpectedly touching - Kubrick's movie got some of it, King's own TV adaptation had a go and was more faithful but far less successful.

The Green Mile - another King classic, a rare one where the novel and movie adaptation are equally good.

Also - Different Seasons (source material for Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me), Christine (fun), Pet Sematary and the usual suspects. Oh, and Night Shift (Children of the Corn, Mangler and other divertions)....

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Down it goes, into my belly...

Last edited by mrsteve; 23-07-2010 at 18:28. Reason: Awful typos
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 18:34   #6
Guest 32525

The Shining, Misery, The Long Walk, Secret Window Secret Garden, The Dark Half, the Dead Zone and Bag of Bones are some of my favourites that you haven't mentioned reading.
Old 23-07-2010, 18:47   #7
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Never fully appreciated The Green Mile as I read it as it was originally released i.e. serialised. I'm not convinced that's the best way to take in a book like that. May have to revisit.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 19:05   #8
philipjg
broke

I liked 'Desperation' and 'The Regulators' - both similar in feel to The Stand.
philipjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 19:10   #9
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Never fully appreciated The Green Mile as I read it as it was originally released i.e. serialised. I'm not convinced that's the best way to take in a book like that. May have to revisit.
I picked up all the serial minibooks in one go and trundled through the lot, so yeah, worth a go.

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Down it goes, into my belly...
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 23:59   #10
simong
I'm taking it back!

I seem to remember enjoying Dolores Claiborne.
Old 24-07-2010, 00:14   #11
statto
Jedi Master

I assume you've looked at reading the books he wrote under the Richard Bachman pseudonym?

My brother raves about how good Talisman is but I haven't got around to reading it yet.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 15:16   #12
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
I assume you've looked at reading the books he wrote under the Richard Bachman pseudonym?

My brother raves about how good Talisman is but I haven't got around to reading it yet.
Pseudonym or not doesn't bother me, so I'll be looking at everything that's recommended

As mentioned, I pondered grabbing The Talisman but went for Insomnia on an offer - looks like it's on a shortlist though

BTW, what's with the new paperback cover art?? - really garish bold colours, which are way poorer than the previous paperback with nice iconic art on the front and his name in large font at the top (i.e.. my old copy of The Stand has a nice pic of a crow in front of a barren wasteland; my new Salem's Lot is bright green!)
Old 25-07-2010, 16:25   #13
SIMON ADEBISI

Salem's Lot is my fave King novel. Its a perfect book.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 18:27   #14
morrisb
Amorous Humphrey Plugg

I only started reading Stephen King in the last 12 months - I was surprised to find books that I expected not to like being surprisingly good. Christine was way WAY better than the film and of the 10 or so that I've read Misery was the scariest.

My favourite so far is the Green Mile - I've only ever read it as a complete novel. The final line alone does it for me:
"We each owe a death, there are no exceptions, I know that, but sometimes, oh God, the Green Mile is so long."
morrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 18:32   #15
andybhoy
Trusted User

The Talisman is an amazing book.
The Long Walk is my favourite of his shorter novels.
The Stand and It are the two most obvious classics.
Insomina was the last one of his I enjoyed.
andybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 13:28   #16
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

Desperation and Cell are both fantastic books, a lot of SK books can get bogged down with too much descriptive stuff but they are both heavy on the action and kept me hooked till the end.

Also loved The Stand and his collecive works of short stories are good for bite size reading.

Havent tried the Dark Tower, do people recommend this? Always thought it looked a bit like it was aimed at the childrens market?
Old 26-07-2010, 13:39   #17
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

It's about as far from a children's series as you can get! I don't think kids would enjoy demon rape.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 13:41   #18
RoboCop4
Senior Mumbler

It sounds clichéd, I know, but IMHO his earlier works are definitely superior - either that or I just outgrew him in my mid-20s.

My recommendations are:
  • The Dead Zone
  • It
  • Salem's Lot
  • The Stand (uncut)
  • The Dark Half
  • Misery
  • Christine
  • Firestarter (often overlooked, but very good)
  • The Bachman Books
  • The Green Mile
  • Different Seasons
  • Cycle of the Werewolf
  • Four Past Midnight
  • Night Shift and Skeleton Crew (short story collections)
  • Dolores Claiborne
  • Needful Things
  • Bag of Bones
RoboCop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 18:07   #19
Guest 32525

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr starface View Post
Havent tried the Dark Tower, do people recommend this? Always thought it looked a bit like it was aimed at the childrens market?
The Dark Tower is absolutely incredible and definitely not for kids. It's probably my favourite novel saga, although I read the first four books at a formulative age when most of my friends were reading Tolkien, so that may bias me.
Old 28-07-2011, 22:53   #20
DrZarkov
Gods holy trousers!

Just finished re-reading The Shining. The last time I read it I was around 15-16 years old and didnt really appreciate it, much preferring the Kubrik film.

I have to say reading it again as a 33 year old I really connected with the main character. The way King portrays his hero/villain is masterful.

Time to check out a few more of the old ones
DrZarkov is offline   Reply With Quote