Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 21:35   #81
Vulcan101
More DVD's please

You can get a stack of free e-books from Baen.

“Life is not an easy matter. You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness” Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Vulcan101; 04-09-2011 at 23:12.
Vulcan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 21:36   #82
Vulcan101
More DVD's please

Deleted by user
“Life is not an easy matter. You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness” Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Vulcan101; 06-09-2011 at 18:08. Reason: Double post
Vulcan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25   #83
sharp_circle
Fantasist

SPOILERS FFS
Old 02-09-2011, 13:24   #84
Summerisle
Trusted User

Coming soon the online 3rd edition of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction; Orion's Gollancz imprint has signed ebook deals to make a lot of out of print SF available again at the Science Fiction Gateway in the near future as well. So not a specific recommendation but a couple of things to keep an eye on.
Summerisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:45   #85
roddy
Trusted User

Just found out last night that Richard Morgan of the noir sci-fi Takeshi Kovacs books has done some fantasty - started The Steel Remains yesterday and it seems pretty good. Similar in tone to Joe Abercrombie, I'd say, which is no bad thing.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 21:43   #86
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr90 View Post
Quite a few new SF books out:

There's "Fuzzy Nation", which is John Scalzi's 'reboot' of H. Beam Piper's "Little Fuzzy".

A chap called Ernest Cline has done a book called "Ready Player One", about a bloke searching for the easter egg to beat all easter eggs in a MMORPG. It looks like a book that pushes a great number of pop-culture buttons, so I'm eagerly awaiting getting hold of it myself.

If it's a "really kickass space opera" you're after, then it looks like "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey is the one to try. Seems to have been getting good reviews.

And finally, if you prefer your SF to be a bit more cerebral, Adam Roberts has a new book out called "By Light Alone". He's a bit of a hit-and-miss author, I find, but lots of my mates rave about him.
Thanks!

Thoroughly enjoyed "Ready player One" - great with the 80s flashbacks , a little short and light but well worth it.

Leviathan Wakes was OK, very generic, not convinced by the characters, not enough tension or new stuff and all quite predictable.

Still not bought By "Light Alone", the sample was OK so I may go for it later.

Stumbled into reading neuromancer again so thats a few days gone..

I think theres a few new books out/soon , Neil Asher , PFH etc.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:13   #87
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

I currently reading through the Gears of War series to co-inside with the game launch. Quite enjoying them and they tie the games together nicely. That aside they are pretty well written by Karen Travis who I believe has done some of the Star Wars books.
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 19:40   #88
sharp_circle
Fantasist

I'm currently ploughing through the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher which are very very good. Basically about a wizard in Chicago. Funny and scary all at one
Old 27-10-2011, 21:52   #89
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Just found out last night that Richard Morgan of the noir sci-fi Takeshi Kovacs books has done some fantasy - started The Steel Remains yesterday and it seems pretty good. Similar in tone to Joe Abercrombie, I'd say, which is no bad thing.
Finished The Steel Remains and the second in the trilogy, The Cold Commands. Not sure when the third's out, the second is only just out in hardback so I guess it's a while. Joe Abercrombie is the obvious reference point - hard-bitten, cynical fantasy - but Morgan doesn't have as much humour. There's also a lot more gay sex. The setting has more magic than Abercrombie, and there's talk of dragons . . .

I'll read the final part when it comes out - won't rush to get it, but it'll go on my reading list.

Last edited by roddy; 27-10-2011 at 21:57.
Old 28-10-2011, 22:33   #90
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Quote:
Not sure when the third's out
Not anytime soon! He probably hasn't even started writing it yet. There was a three year gap between Steel Remains and Cold Commands, so I'd lay money on the third book not coming out until early 2013, at the very least.
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 11:03   #91
roddy
Trusted User

Ah well. Not in any rush for it at the moment.

Have started Iain Banks' Culture books from the start - I've read some of them, but not in the right order. Got hold of a complete set, so that'll keep me busy for a while.

Last edited by roddy; 29-10-2011 at 11:03.
Old 03-11-2011, 22:36   #92
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

for any kindle peeps out there, i just noticed Amazon have a large batch of Harry Harrison books available now which didnt seem to be there a couple of weeks ago. 2.99 to 4.99 so not too badly priced.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34   #93
Mike Mither
Trusted User

After working through all the Song of Ice and Fire books to date (the first books in this genre I've read for many years) I thought I'd try Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, starting naturally enough with The Eye of the World. Needless to say, it was a step backward - took me months to pluck up the interest to keep going and I found myself caring little for the characters, the mythology, the daft names, etc. I don't know if it was just me, but the similarities with a certain Rings trilogy were obvious and often, and these reminded me of why I stopped reading these types of books for a long time - too many LOTR rip-offs, bunch of people go off on a quest, magician (Moiraine), future king in disguise (Lan), hobbits (Two Rivers people), etc. Perhaps I'm wide of the mark, but that's how it felt to me.

What next? I might try that Brandon Sanderson stuff...
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20   #94
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mither View Post
What next? I might try that Brandon Sanderson stuff...
The best stuff that I've read in the fantasy genre over the last few years has been:-

1. Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora
2. Joe Abercrombie - The First Law trilogy + 2 follows ups
3. Peter V.Brett - The Painted Pan and The Desert Spear
4. Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind + Wise Man's Fear

The first two on the list are, in my opinion, particularly brilliant - Lynch for the plot and characters and Abercrombie for the characters alone deserves a gold medal ...... and they're nothing like LOTR.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52   #95
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Thanks Rob - I've heard a lot of good things about Joe Abercrombie so he might be the next stop.

And please don't get me wrong - I've nothing against LOTR, just the heavy number of rip offs that flood the market. They're the reason I stopped reading this genre years ago and I got the impression it hasn't changed entirely. Original ideas, people, original ideas.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05   #96
roddy
Trusted User

Rob, have you read the Richard Morgan stuff I mention above? It's in the same vein of what I guess you might call Non-Tolkien Fantasy, but personally I'd rate it above Peter V Brett and Patrick Rothfuss. - with both of them I enjoyed the first one, but by the second one was finding myself just not that interested.

Last edited by roddy; 11-11-2011 at 09:05.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36   #97
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Hi Mike,

I think I like the same kind of fantasy as you - Martin great; Jordan boring.

Got to agree about Abercrombie and the Scott Lynch recommended above - both worth trying. The Rothfuss is a compulsive page turner but perhaps a bit more traditional than is made out.

I want to recommend a series that's currently only available in the USA (so Amazon or a good import bookshop like Forbidden Planet) - Ken Scholes' Canticles of Isaak series.

Book one is Lamentation: Lamentation

I also want to recommend the fantasy books of Daniel Abraham, who has previously been mentioned in this thread as one half of the duo who write SF as James Corey ("Leviathan Wakes"). His "Long Price" quartet is available in two omnibuses in this country:

Long Price book 1: Shadow and Betrayal

The Abraham was my (combined) book of the year two years ago - it starts quite slow, and it takes a while to grasp a world where gesture is as important as language, but look at the amazon reviews and see if its your sort of thing.
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:08   #98
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mither View Post
Thanks Rob - I've heard a lot of good things about Joe Abercrombie so he might be the next stop.

And please don't get me wrong - I've nothing against LOTR, just the heavy number of rip offs that flood the market. They're the reason I stopped reading this genre years ago and I got the impression it hasn't changed entirely. Original ideas, people, original ideas.
No worries - read Lynch or Abercrombie and you'll definitely know that there are plenty of original ideas and angles. The Lies of Locke Lamora was the first fantasy book that I'd read for years - it's got the best plot that I've read in any book of any genre. As a result of this revelation, 90% of what I read now is "fantasy".

Quote:
Rob, have you read the Richard Morgan stuff I mention above?
Have heard of it but not tried it yet so I'll put it on my list - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLaidlow View Post
I also want to recommend the fantasy books of Daniel Abraham, who has previously been mentioned in this thread as one half of the duo who write SF as James Corey ("Leviathan Wakes"). His "Long Price" quartet is available in two omnibuses in this country:
Just read the first book in his new "Dagger and Coin" trilogy ("The Dragon's Path") and it's a pretty good read.

Last edited by Rob; 11-11-2011 at 12:10.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 18:08   #99
Guest 61747
Collector Of Cool Stuff.

Harry Harrison's STAINLESS STEEL RAT books. Just the first five and not the prequels or progressively silly later sequels.

His DEATHWORLD TRILOGY books are also a good, entertaining and fast read.

The SSR has been in movie development hell for about 30 years...there will be a movie...one day.

Last edited by LightStorm; 09-12-2011 at 18:09.
Guest 61747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 03:30   #100
RobDickinson
Trusted User

OK so anything new out in the last couple of months!?