Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 25-08-2011, 11:59   #61
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Another recommendation for the Hyperion Cantos. Absolutely adored the first two books - they're probably my favourite SF novels.
Have been reading these lately on the basis of this and other recommendations - absolutely loved the first one, it'd been a while since I'd read sci-fi where the quality of the actual writing was so good. Second one I didn't enjoy so much, but it's getting all theological now and I'm getting back into it.

Jaime (or anyone) how do the last two books compare? I'm quite happy to stop halfway if they're going to be a disappointment.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:20   #62
dnaddison
Trusted User

I've been re-reading Steven L Kents Clone series in anticipation of the next instalment out in a couple of months Clone Redemption Really enjoyed this series. I also Liked the Jack Campbell books that it recommends along side this on amazon.
dnaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 23:13   #63
Guest 32525

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Have been reading these lately on the basis of this and other recommendations - absolutely loved the first one, it'd been a while since I'd read sci-fi where the quality of the actual writing was so good. Second one I didn't enjoy so much, but it's getting all theological now and I'm getting back into it.

Jaime (or anyone) how do the last two books compare? I'm quite happy to stop halfway if they're going to be a disappointment.
Endymion and Rise of Endymion aren't bad books, but I found them incredibly dull. Took me months to get through each of them.

There's a lot of retconning of events from Fall of Hyperion (discarded by the main characters as lies) and it's a lot more self-indulgent, with a narrator who feels the need to describe everything in tedious detail. The universe is also a lot less wondrous and it lacks the flood of ideas that made Hyperion and Fall so eclectic and fascination for me.

Simmons has beautiful prose and I wouldn't say I regret reading them, but I didn't get much out of them either and they did tarnish my views on the series somewhat. I'd recommend skipping them and reading his Ilium/Olympos duology instead.
Old 25-08-2011, 23:20   #64
roddy
Trusted User

That's what I'll do then, thanks!
Old 25-08-2011, 23:45   #65
Woz
Viva indifference

Julian May's Saga of the Exiles series blurs the line between fantasy and SF nicely.
It's a series, but the thread seems to have moved in that direction anyway!

I'd second Iain Banks' Culture books. As far as I remember they can be read in pretty much any order as all the ones I've read have been stand-alone while set in the same universe. Notable for the fantastic names he gives the starships and the extremely nasty twists in a few of the books!

Anything by William Gibson - he invented the name Cyberspace don'tchaknow? I'm currently reading Pattern Recognition, which I think was his first non-future story, although it's got his trademark style of dropping brand names and technology throughout the prose.
Neuromancer has one of the best opening lines in history: "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 00:16   #66
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Anything new out recently? I've ploughed through way too much fantasy recently need some good scifi!
Old 26-08-2011, 00:26   #67
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

The new Gary Gibson looks ace; Paul McAuley has put up a kindle-only collection of his short stories which I'm currently reading - also ace. I'm also keen to see the new Darryl Gregory - his last two have been weirdly brilliant - and all because I liked his story in a collection of superhero shorts...
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 00:04   #68
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDickinson View Post
Anything new out recently? I've ploughed through way too much fantasy recently need some good scifi!
Quite a few new SF books out:

There's "Fuzzy Nation", which is John Scalzi's 'reboot' of H. Beam Piper's "Little Fuzzy".

A chap called Ernest Cline has done a book called "Ready Player One", about a bloke searching for the easter egg to beat all easter eggs in a MMORPG. It looks like a book that pushes a great number of pop-culture buttons, so I'm eagerly awaiting getting hold of it myself.

If it's a "really kickass space opera" you're after, then it looks like "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey is the one to try. Seems to have been getting good reviews.

And finally, if you prefer your SF to be a bit more cerebral, Adam Roberts has a new book out called "By Light Alone". He's a bit of a hit-and-miss author, I find, but lots of my mates rave about him.
Old 28-08-2011, 00:35   #69
RobDickinson
Trusted User

CHeers, bunch of sample chapters on their way!
Old 29-08-2011, 15:45   #70
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr90 View Post
If it's a "really kickass space opera" you're after, then it looks like "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey is the one to try. Seems to have been getting good reviews.
I struggle to call this space opera - it's all within the solar system, where's the galaxy-spanning intrigue? - but I agree it's excellent.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:56   #71
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Endymion and Rise of Endymion aren't bad books, but I found them incredibly dull. Took me months to get through each of them.

There's a lot of retconning of events from Fall of Hyperion (discarded by the main characters as lies) and it's a lot more self-indulgent, with a narrator who feels the need to describe everything in tedious detail. The universe is also a lot less wondrous and it lacks the flood of ideas that made Hyperion and Fall so eclectic and fascination for me.

Simmons has beautiful prose and I wouldn't say I regret reading them, but I didn't get much out of them either and they did tarnish my views on the series somewhat. I'd recommend skipping them and reading his Ilium/Olympos duology instead.
I really enjoyed the last couple of books!

The Ilium/Olympos ones were good too but not as good as the Hyperion series.
Old 30-08-2011, 14:01   #72
Guest 13833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
Julian May's Saga of the Exiles series blurs the line between fantasy and SF nicely.
It's a series, but the thread seems to have moved in that direction anyway!
Really enjoyed that series and the followup Galactic Milieu trilogy. A quick look on Amazon would seem to indicate that the books are no longer in publication. Only preowned copies available. Shame
Old 30-08-2011, 18:14   #73
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Brent Weeks's Night Angel trilogy is brilliant
Old 30-08-2011, 19:01   #74
Guest 45362

Neil Ashers Polity novels are pretty good (the Polity being human civilsation where AI's won 'The Quiet War', got millions of times smarter and run everything - relatively benevolently)

Also Alaistair Reynold's novels - either the Revelation Space quartet or some of the standalone stories. A common theme is that of extremely advanced galactic civilsations that are bound by the lightspeed limit - no warp drives here!
Old 30-08-2011, 20:20   #75
pburnage
xbox live: triptix21

I am currently reading the Harrington series by David Weber. It's like a space version of the nautical stories of Hornblower et al. Good fun anyway
Old 30-08-2011, 21:37   #76
Guest 11253

I recommend:

Sector General series by James White ( hence my user name with a single n )

Heritage Universe series by Charles Sheffield

Heechee series by Frederick Pohl

All excellent books that i enjoyed immensely !

Last edited by Thornastor; 30-08-2011 at 21:45. Reason: added more info
Old 31-08-2011, 18:28   #77
Guest 45362

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburnage View Post
I am currently reading the Harrington series by David Weber. It's like a space version of the nautical stories of Hornblower et al. Good fun anyway
I found his two "Bug" novels to be rather better - In Death Ground (taken from the saying of Tzun Tzu - "in death ground, fight!") and The Shiva Option

Although it must be said, his obvious adoration for former times when everything was run by the nobility and military does tend to rankle after a while
Old 31-08-2011, 18:34   #78
Guest 45362

The Heechee books are great although I found it kinda lost it's way in the fourth one.

The first one is brilliant, love the idea of a clutch of alien FTL spaceships being discovered where you set the co-ordinates and press the "go" button.

Trouble is, you don't know where the destination is. Or how long the trip will take. Maybe you'll discover some fabulous alien artefact and be very, very rich.

Or, more likely, just end up dead.

This doesn;t give away the plot. by the way! The back cover tells you more
Old 31-08-2011, 22:25   #79
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburnage View Post
What was I reading that reminded me of those, but better. Let me check . . .the Vorkosigan Saga, Lois McMaster Bujold. I think you can get one free from Baen. They're not great, but good fun. The Honor Harrington books I found got very samey.

Last edited by roddy; 31-08-2011 at 22:25.
Old 01-09-2011, 20:33   #80
pburnage
xbox live: triptix21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
What was I reading that reminded me of those, but better. Let me check . . .the Vorkosigan Saga, Lois McMaster Bujold. I think you can get one free from Baen. They're not great, but good fun. The Honor Harrington books I found got very samey.
Thanks- will have a look at those