Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 13-07-2010, 16:51   #1
Guest 4174

Science Fiction and Fantasy book recommendations

I haven't read a Science Fiction or Fanatasy book for a good few years and am in the mood to read one.

I remember reading David Eddings Belgariad series of books and enjoyed them.

I don't have time, or really want to read a trilogy, so is there a good fantasy book which starts and finishes in one book?

Are there any good SF books out there, which are based well into the future and has a few space attacks, has futuristic gadgets and so on.

I look forward to the replies
Old 13-07-2010, 17:24   #2
Guest 3637

Some of Richard Morgans books are pretty good(Altered Carbon, Woken furies and Broken Angels). Although they use the same character, they are pretty much stand alone.

In a way it's a shame you don't wish to read a series as probably the best Sc-Fi I ever read was Dan Simmons's Hyperion series. The first two books simply blew me away and should be thought of as one book(A little like Lord of the rings comprises of 3 books). The final two are kinda optional, but still of high quality.

Last edited by Neil Smalley; 13-07-2010 at 17:31.
Old 13-07-2010, 17:29   #3
Guest 4174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smalley View Post
Some of Richard Morgans books are pretty good(Altered Carbon, Woken furies and Broken Angels). Although they use the same character, they are pretty much stand alone.

In a way it's a shame you don't wish to read a series as probably the best Sc-Fi I ever read was Dan Simmons's Hyperion series. The first two books simply blew me away
I'll have a look at the Dan Simmon's series.
If it seems really good, I'll most probably give it a go.
Old 13-07-2010, 19:14   #4
Guest 32525

Another recommendation for the Hyperion Cantos. Absolutely adored the first two books - they're probably my favourite SF novels.

On the fantasy side, Perdido Street Station by China Miéville is pretty incredible. If you want something different from the standard medievil fantasy then it's definitely worth a go. The writing is gorgeous and the world is fantastic. It takes a while to get going as the first third is bogged down with a lot of world building, but it's definitely worth the effort.

Miéville's written two other books set in the same world, but the books are all self-contained and independent from each other. I haven't read either of the other two yet, but the general consensus seems to be that they're even stronger than PSS.
Old 13-07-2010, 23:07   #5
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Well, as I posted in the what are you reading thread, I just finished Alfred Bester's classic The Stars My Destination which should tick all of your boxes. Being written in the 50s it has a different style to modern fare, but is beautifully written and has a deep intelligence behind it, as well as a very strong story.

I'd also echo Jaime's Miéville recommendation - PSS is an amazing book. I also haven't read the other two - I have The Scar. What is the other one?
Old 14-07-2010, 16:30   #6
Guest 4174

Thanks for the replies.
I'll have a look into the books mentioned.
Old 17-07-2010, 15:30   #7
Paden
Trusted User

Inherit the stars by James P Hogan
First in a trilogy but can be read on its own.
Must've read it twenty years ago but still one of my favourites!

Cheers, Paul
Old 17-07-2010, 17:38   #8
Guest 23929

I will say try pretty much anything by Alistair Reynolds or Peter F Hamilton. Hamilton's tomes tend to be epics, but his 'Reality Dysfunction' trilogy is one of the best things I've ever read. Don't be put off by the size as you'll fly through them. If you want gadgets, space wars, sex, violence, weapons that can destroy suns and a cracking good plot with twists and turns you'll be happy as a pig in ****.

I also loved the Hyperion books. He's also done an interesting looking sci-fi twist of the Odyessy poems, Iliad and something else whos name escapes me, but they look good. Have them sitting on my 'to read' shelf.

Last edited by KRW; 17-07-2010 at 17:39.
Old 17-07-2010, 17:45   #9
mitch316
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Another recommendation for the Hyperion Cantos. Absolutely adored the first two books - they're probably my favourite SF novels.

On the fantasy side, Perdido Street Station by China Miéville is pretty incredible. If you want something different from the standard medievil fantasy then it's definitely worth a go. The writing is gorgeous and the world is fantastic. It takes a while to get going as the first third is bogged down with a lot of world building, but it's definitely worth the effort.

Miéville's written two other books set in the same world, but the books are all self-contained and independent from each other. I haven't read either of the other two yet, but the general consensus seems to be that they're even stronger than PSS.
Just started this and am enjoyong it very much so far and im only about 150 pages in
Old 18-07-2010, 15:21   #10
Guest 25356

Orson Scott Card - Ender series:absolutely brilliant. Very very good.
Ian Banks - Culture series: mind blowing, very clever.
Old 18-07-2010, 16:57   #11
Guest 4174

Thanks for the latest replies.
I'll have a look at them aswell.
Keep them coming.
Old 18-07-2010, 21:23   #12
stupidboyjj
Billy-bumbler

Another vote for The Stars My Destination but also Bester's The Demolished Man , a remarkable piece of work which Babylon 5 paid homage to what with 'Alfred Bester' being head of the Psi Corps.

I'd also like to add The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (my link is to the book with the three novels in it, value for money there), incredibly imaginative.
stupidboyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 00:12   #13
ian turner
Trusted User

Perdido street station is long enough to be a trilogy
Try looking through the Fantasy Masterworks selection and SF Masterworks

Last edited by ian turner; 19-07-2010 at 00:13.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 02:33   #14
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Forget the movie, and get hold of Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein.
It's a totally different beast - And make sure you also read the aforementioned Forever War, as it's kinda the flipside of the same artistic coin.

And again, I know you said you didn't want a series, but the "Bio Of A Space Tyrant" books by Piers Anthony are excellent sci-fi fare. Each reads fine individually, but form an overarcing saga.

Same goes for the sci-fantasy Incarnations Of Immortality books by the same author.
Old 20-07-2010, 10:36   #15
CiderMyth
Random poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
I'd also echo Jaime's Miéville recommendation - PSS is an amazing book. I also haven't read the other two - I have The Scar. What is the other one?
The third one is Iron Council. I don't believe it's as strong as PSS and The Scar, but it is still very much worth a read.

On the space SF front, I'd recommend Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space trilogy:
Revelation Space
Redemption Ark
Absolution Gap

Also set in the same universe, the fantastic Chasm City

CM
"Say you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone says plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp. Out of the blue. No use looking for one either. It's part of the lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything."
CiderMyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 09:52   #16
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Thanks CiderMyth - think I might start on The Scar for my holiday reading
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 13:05   #17
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

I think mostly people have given you Sci-fi.

So for a Fantasy style book the you should read Magician by Raymond E Fiest

It is part of a series, but it also can be read on it's own. You'll probably find you'll want to read the others in the series afterwards anyway
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 12:43   #18
Guest 76331

hmm!!!
try reading twilight

i mean its the most hyped of the times now with it getting into movies !!

beware of bats !!

see yah around !!
Old 26-07-2010, 12:48   #19
Ghost Dog
Xbox Live: Spacescape

If you want another fantasy recommendation then you should try The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, i read it earlier this year and really enjoyed it. If you've enjoyed David Eddings in the past then this isn't a million miles away. The second part is due out next year too i think.
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 13:01   #20
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
If you want another fantasy recommendation then you should try The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, i read it earlier this year and really enjoyed it. If you've enjoyed David Eddings in the past then this isn't a million miles away. The second part is due out next year too i think.
Seconded. A good book and the long-awaited sequel should be out early next year. One of the best fantasies of recent years. I also enjoyed:-

- The First Law trilogy and "Best Served Cold" by Joe Abercrombie
- "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch
- "The Painted Man" by Peter V.Brett