Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 13:27   #181
Guest 23929

I can tell you exactly how he did it, but only a few minutes after he tells us.

That's how it works.
Old 10-09-2009, 13:32   #182
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
I swear some of you have forgotten what entertainment is because you've spent too long watching Xfactor and big brother.
Exactly. What did people expect from this show? For him to reveal he really is the second coming of Jesus and had bought a lottery ticket for it beforehand. Cut to him afterwards sitting in a big bath of coke, surrounded by a gang of high-class hookers lighting his cigar, pouring him champagne etc. He's a show-man, just enjoy his programmes for what they are and if they make you think a bit, trying to work things out, then all the better.

Some of the posts early on are like the ones you get in music threads where there's a new album out or tour announced and you get people posting in it to say just how crap they think the artist is. Why bother?

Bizarre.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:33   #183
Guest 27799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeka View Post
Did he say cameramen? If so, he's probably not lying. The third camera is probably computer controlled
No he says:

"For security reasons and so that nobody else benefits from what I am doing here there is just me and two camera men in here. "

He then reinforces two by saying hello to just two cameras.
Old 10-09-2009, 13:35   #184
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatBoy View Post
While I still think it's a camera trick, I don't think that movement proves it, not taken from a compressed stream over the net. Anybody kept the original? Is the movement there?
Someone pointed it out on another forum but I checked my freeview recording and it's still there, also when he turns the balls round at the end that one is still raised up. I tried to check at the beginning of the recording but he doesn't go close to the balls there.

He's made it so obvious with the lack of audience and the fake camera shake that this must be what he wants us to think. Maybe his point is that people still believed him despite so many obvious signs.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:36   #185
dean richardson
Trusted User

he did somethng similar in his stage show on TV last night.
there is a box suspended throught on stage and at the end of the show the reveal is it contains details on the show and the audience.
Its just misdirection (last night he collapsed doing the oracle trick) and it gets switched.

more of the same again probably.
dean richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:37   #186
ascender
Trusted User

I guess with him there's every chance of a double bluff and things in there just to point you in the wrong direction.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:38   #187
Philc
Cock

What makes me laugh is the fact that he bull****s by saying that he can't show his numbers! Why? Camelot said no and as you can't put the numbers on 5 mins before then it shows it's a fix!
Philc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:39   #188
Sneeka
pull my finger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingcactus View Post
"For security reasons and so that nobody else benefits from what I am doing here there is just me and two camera men in here. "

He then reinforces two by saying hello to just two cameras.
That's what I mean - he doesn't explicitly say there's only two cameras - he says there's only two cameramen. Therefore if there is indeed a third camera he isn't technically lying.
Sneeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:41   #189
B0zza
Awaiting a package

Apparently can be viewed here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHb_WqX_plg

(can't access youtube at work)
B0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:58   #190
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogsuk View Post
Go on then, but use spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenza View Post
Tell.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 14:01   #191
dean richardson
Trusted User

statto - did he reveal this or just your opinion?
dean richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 14:12   #192
statto
Jedi Master

All IMO. However, given that he also claimed to memorise an encyclopedia in an hour or so in one episode of his show, it's clear he lies about a lot of the stuff he's supposedly memorised. In his book he gives an example of how he can memorise Shakespeare's plays and their order, but that technique can't be applied to the encyclopedia or a-z trick.

How he probably did the encyclopedia thing

EDIT: I used to work with a bloke who was in the magic circle, and he hinted about loads of stuff DB did. I've also read a truckload of stuff about mentalism (including a lot of stuff specifically aimed at practicing mentalists, some of it written by DB himself). Misdirection and showmanship are the key to his act. Thinking he's memorised the entire a-z/atlas/phonebook/dictionary etc is a lot more impressive that what he's actually done. As with all magic acts there's a certain degree of disappointment when you know how it's really done.

Last edited by statto; 10-09-2009 at 14:17.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 14:26   #193
Guest 16908

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEjLOs-V9A

Old 10-09-2009, 14:31   #194
boonspoon
SILENCE!! I KEEEEL YOU!!

Unseen footage from last night....

Old 10-09-2009, 14:35   #195
TheDot
Space Monkey

However he did it, the intrigue surrounding this should secure a decent audience for Fridays nights show.

I did notice while watching last night that the camera seemed to be shaking quite a bit and because of this I couldnt help but notice it when it when dead still. Having just watched the video again I did notice it went still just as he was finishing writing up the numbers on the board.

You have to wonder why he wrote them down and didnt just turn the balls round individually as the numbers round up was being completed. To give him and his assistant (or whatever method of getting the numbers on the balls) that little bit of time required to complete the trick??
TheDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 14:39   #196
bigman
Trusted User

If the 'moving ball' is evidence of a split screen scam then it should also be noted that at the point that the 'real' balls were presumably being put into place (and the split screen removed) DB lets out rather unnecessary shudder as he attempts to read the numbers out in order (even though they have already been placed innumerical order on the BBC show at this point).

Classic misdirection?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 15:22   #197
Guest 2517

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I can tell you exactly how he did it, but only a few minutes after he tells us.

That's how it works.
I was going to say this earlier, but unfortunately KRW had the legal rights to do this gag first.
Old 10-09-2009, 15:28   #198
Guest 23929

Yes, i've done a special spoiler box and everyhing, that I'll reveal on Saturday.
Old 10-09-2009, 15:38   #199
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb View Post
Exactly.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 15:53   #200
eklipze
Surfing with the alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
All IMO. However, given that he also claimed to memorise an encyclopedia in an hour or so in one episode of his show, it's clear he lies about a lot of the stuff he's supposedly memorised. In his book he gives an example of how he can memorise Shakespeare's plays and their order, but that technique can't be applied to the encyclopedia or a-z trick.

How he probably did the encyclopedia thing

EDIT: I used to work with a bloke who was in the magic circle, and he hinted about loads of stuff DB did. I've also read a truckload of stuff about mentalism (including a lot of stuff specifically aimed at practicing mentalists, some of it written by DB himself). Misdirection and showmanship are the key to his act. Thinking he's memorised the entire a-z/atlas/phonebook/dictionary etc is a lot more impressive that what he's actually done. As with all magic acts there's a certain degree of disappointment when you know how it's really done.
Don't have a list of the books do you ? Only read the last DB book and fancy delving a little deeper.
eklipze is offline   Reply With Quote