Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 12-02-2002, 22:24   #1
Guest 6354

Rutger Hauer's SPLIT SECOND

Rutger Hauer's epic masterpiece SPLIT SECOND is coming to dvd. Who might know when/if it will be made available in the UK?
Old 12-02-2002, 22:49   #2
Guest 2484

Oh yeah! Get me the coffee and chocolate.

This film is absolute class. Gonna be getting this, no two ways about it. Wouldn't expect a R2 release though.
Old 12-02-2002, 23:01   #3
Guest 8666

"We need bigger guns. We need big EDITED guns!"
Old 12-02-2002, 23:23   #4
mr_woo
Gamertag: Al Benicio

I love this film as well.

Great mature B-movie cheese of the most mature kind

Pity it's in damn full frame GITS!!
Old 13-02-2002, 00:10   #5
Guest 1764

Are you lot serious? This is one lousy movie with the only good sequence - the attack on the train - being directed by someone else apart from the guy who directed the rest of the flick. Maybe if itíd been the other way round this might have been a decent piece of exploitation but as it is itís just cheap, sub-Predator crap.

I think you may be remembering it through a haze of youthful nostalgia. Sad to see Roy Batty reduced to this.
Old 13-02-2002, 00:21   #6
mr_woo

Quote:
Originally posted by jonathan.e
Are you lot serious? This is one lousy movie with the only good sequence - the attack on the train - being directed by someone else apart from the guy who directed the rest of the flick. Maybe if itíd been the other way round this might have been a decent piece of exploitation but as it is itís just cheap, sub-Predator crap.

I think you may be remembering it through a haze of youthful nostalgia. Sad to see Roy Batty reduced to this.
Yes i am being serious, i really like this film, more than likely because i'm a big Rutger Hauer fan.

And i only watched the film a week ago so it's NOT nostalgia

Also can't wait for Blind Fury to come on dvd, another Rutger Hauer B movie special which i also really enjoy though im sure you Jonathon and most of the people on this board wont agree!

just found out Blind Fury IS out on dvd in a double pack with Omega Doom and is in anamorphic widescreen! Now we're talking!

Last edited by mr_woo; 13-02-2002 at 00:24.
mr_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2002, 00:21   #7
Guest 6354

I watch this movie every couple of months and it is timeless. A peerless meisterwerk

I have suspicion that due to the revolutionary filming and lighting techniques in the film that it was never actually made in widescreen
Old 13-02-2002, 00:27   #8
Guest 1764

mr_woo, Iím an admirer of Hauerís but not for lazy schlock like this - heís capable of much better.

BTW, Blind Fury is available on DVD - I know because I have a copy. Itís available on a twin feature set with Omega Doom. So you can see that Iím not biased against this genre but I really do believe Split Second is an extremely poor movie.
Old 13-02-2002, 00:31   #9
mr_woo

Quote:
mr_woo, Iím an admirer of Hauerís but not for lazy schlock like this - heís capable of much better.

BTW, Blind Fury is available on DVD - I know because I have a copy. Itís available on a twin feature set with Omega Doom. So you can see that Iím not biased against this genre but I really do believe Split Second is an extremely poor movie.
Well ok we're just going to have to agree to disagree about Split Second

Jonathon, whats the transfer like on Blind Fury ?

I obviously dont expect it to be earth shattering but if it's a decent transfer with decent sound then it's getting ordered!

As it's Columbia who released it i have decent hopes for it

I also agree Rutger Hauer is capable of much better, i know he's good in Blade Runner but my personal favourite is The Hitcher which i consider a fantastic film. It is very suspenseful at times and i really didn't have a clue what would happen next. It also has an ending that leaves you feeling-

I wish somebody would hire him for another Hollywood film

Last edited by mr_woo; 13-02-2002 at 00:36.
mr_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2002, 00:39   #10
Guest 1764

Nice clean transfer, no problems with it.

I agree about The Hitcher. Not many movies have the conviction to be as "gut-wrenching" as that.

One of Hauerís great early performances in Nighthawks has just been released in widescreen in Australia whereas the R1 is only crappy pan & scan. It can be had dirt cheap from etailers such as www.devoted.com.au
Old 13-02-2002, 00:43   #11
mr_woo

Quote:
Nice clean transfer, no problems with it.

I agree about The Hitcher. Not many movies have the conviction to be as "gut-wrenching" as that.

One of Hauerís great early performances in Nighthawks has just been released in widescreen in Australia whereas the R1 is only crappy pan & scan. It can be had dirt cheap from etailers such as www.devoted.com.au
Thats exactly the same as the region 2 release and is available from play for £7.99, just in case you didnt know

here's the link:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...R2&title=98245
Old 13-02-2002, 07:14   #12
Guest 1764

Yeah, I know, but I got a bunch of those Universal titles (People Under the Stairs, The Game etc) from Devoted and they worked out to about £5 each shipped.
Old 13-02-2002, 08:18   #13
Guest 1339

what about Salute of the jugger a classic piece of Rutger Tripe not available on dvd yet but im sure Anchor Bay would like to release it.
BTW which version of wanted dead or alive is the best?
Had blind fury and it was just as good as i remember when i was a lad full of corny action and rutger just bein cool
whats happened to him?
Old 13-02-2002, 10:37   #14
Guest 7482

Quote:
A Stallone and Hauer film?? Did this even get released over here??

My Best Hauer films were Hitcher, Blind Fury, Voyage
Best Recent Film was probably Bone Daddy all his others have been rubbish
Old 13-02-2002, 11:05   #15
Guest 345

"A Stallone and Hauer film?? Did this even get released over here??"

...I bet it did! I still have the UK PAL LaserDisc that I bought in London many years ago!...

. . . :o . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 13-02-2002 at 11:07.
Old 15-02-2002, 14:24   #16
Guest 14710

I can sum up Split Second in only two words... Pure Class..
Old 16-02-2002, 06:17   #17
Guest 6354

Last edited by Guiness; 19-02-2002 at 03:32.