Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 06:10   #1
Kryten

The Official Sky HD Thread and FAQ

Well seeing as so many people seem to be upgrading to Sky HD on the current offer I figured it would be a good time to start an official thread with some FAQ's in as we go.

So I guess the first things would be that we detail things like:

Which boxes are good, which are bad, which have HDMI only and which have component

Channel List and planned channels

Known bugs

Software updates planned

Feel free to suggest any other things that should go in the thread. This is not to mean you cannot start threads with specific questions, but would be good to check here first

Once we have some info in I can stick the thread

Last edited by Kryten; 05-02-2009 at 06:11.
Kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:10   #2
Kryten

Subscriptions:

What Packages Are Available?
The table below shows the packages and prices as at 05 February 2009:

What Is The Minimum Level of Subscription?
This depends upon what features you want.

The cheapest way to use the recording features is either £9.75/month with no subscrption channels, or the option below
The cheapest standard Sky package is £16.50 (one entertainment mix) and includes Sky+ recording functionality
The cheapest route to HD is £26.25 (one entertainment mix @ £16.50 and the HD pack @ £9.75)
The cheapest multiroom subscription is also £26.25 (one entertainment mix @ £16.50 and the multiroom subscription @ £9.75)

If I Don't Subscribe, Can I Record the FTA Channels?
For free? No. The cheapest way is laid out above, either £9.75 just to record FTA channels, or £16.50 for the lowest subscription package which includes Sky+ recording functionality.

Does The HD Pack Constitute A "Mix" for Sky+ Recording Purposes?
No. In order to enable the Sky+ recording features, the minimum subscription is currently £16.50. The cheapest route to HD with recording capabilities would be 1 mix and the HD pack (£16.50 + £9.75).

Installations:

What LNB Will Be Fitted?
From talks with the installers in my area, I am led to believe that you will almost certainly be fitted with a quad LNB - this will allow 4 outputs, meaning you could have 4 standard boxes, two Sky+ or Sky+HD boxes or a single Sky+ or Sky+HD box and either one or two standard boxes. For customers taking multiroom in more than two rooms, an octo-LNB (8 outputs) will be fitted. It is unlikely you will be fitted with an octo-LNB unless absolutely necessary (i.e. you probably wont get one if you simply ask in the hope you can install Freesat yourself off the spare LNB outputs).

What Is A "Standard Install"?
From Sky's suppled definitions to ASA's, a standard install is a single box in a single room, with a maximum of 10m of cable. The dish will be wall mounted below roof level of a 2 storey property. Non-standard includes properties higher than two stories, ground and pole mounts.

Do I Need A BT Line?
No. You need a fixed phone-line, that can be from BT, Virgin, Post-Office or Sky themselves. VOIP lines cannot be used.

Can I Choose My Own Box?
No. You can ask nicely, but the general rule of thumb is that you get whatever the engineer has on his van.

How Can I Tell If I Got A Refurbished Box?
New boxes tend to be delivered in a black, blue or red branded box. Refurbished boxes are usually in plain cardboard boxes.

Can I Demand A New Box?
No. You will be supplied with a box that is suitable for purpose (i.e. capable of decoding either Sky or SkyHD signals. The condition of the box (i.e. whether or not it is new) is irrelevant as long as it is fit for purpose. You can ASK for a new one, the same you can ASK for a specific brand, but the installer/Sky can decline.

Equipment:

Do I Own My Box?
Yes - from day one the box is yours. The downside to this is that after 12 months, it is your responsibility to have the box repaired if it fails.

How Big Is The Hard Disk?
300gig. 160gig is available user storage, 140gig is reserved for Sky Anytime TV.

What Connections Will My Box Have?

There are some variations on this, but as a general rule, all boxes will have 2xSCART, Stereo Audio Out (Phono), Modem connection, Optical Audio Out (TOSLINK), RF In, RF Out, RF Out 2 (With power for Sky Eye remote extender). Some boxes will have an RS232 port (unused for customer application) and of course the satellite input connectors (1 on standard boxes, two on Sky+ and Sky+HD boxes).

HD boxes will have the above connections plus an HDMI port. Older HD boxes may still have component out. The Samsung HD box also has a USB port under the flap where the viewing card is located. This has no known use at present.

Do I Need To Keep My Box Connected To The Phone Line?
Depends on your situation:

a) You have just had a single box installed

You have two options here - you can keep the box connected and then do with it as you wish after the initial 12 months or you can buy your way out of the "Interactive Discount" by making a one-time payment to Sky of £25. You can then disconnect the box from the line.

b) If you have more than one box and have a multiroom subscription

It is a must that the second box (the one with the multiroom subscription) remains connected. If you disconnect the second box and Sky poll the box to see if it's there, you will firstly get a warning letter, then maybe a call, then they will charge you full price for the second subscription.

What's In The Box?

Standard Sky boxes and Sky+ boxes come with the following;

Box, SCART Cable, UHF Patch Cable, Telephone to Modem cable, Remote, Batteries, Manual.

Sky+HD boxes come with everything above with the inclusion of a basic HDMI cable.

Will My Remote Control My TV/Amp?
More than likely. A selection of the most popular codes are included in the enclosed manual. To the best of my knowledge, I believe the Sky remotes to use a subset of the "One4All" remote control database so the scope for support is massive. Newer remotes (i.e. those provided with Sky+HD) will obviously have more support for a wider range of devices as the code database has been expanded. Standard Sky remotes, Sky+ Remotes and Sky+HD remotes are all interchangeable but obviously certain hardware buttons will vary.

Viewing

What Is Anytime TV?
Anytime TV is a pseudo-on demand service whereby the box records a selection of programming each week which is available on rotation. If you wish to save a programme from Anytime TV, simply select it from the Anytime TV list and press the record button, it will then be saved to the user part of the recorder, and will only be deleted when you decide.

What Is Sky Remote Record?
This is a feature that allows you to schedule recording remotely, either from a supported mobile phone using a downloadable client, vis Sky.com or using SMS (charged at 25p each). Full details available via MySky.

I Have More Than One Box, How Does Remote Record Work?
Remote Record is tied to a single mobile phone number and box. To make use of Remote Record on more than one box, you will need a second mobile number and an additional account added to the primary MySky account.

How Long Does It Take For A Remote Record Request To Be Delivered?
Sky say to allow 30 minutes - real world tests prove it is almost instant. To test this, go to the "Planner" section of your Sky Guide, schedule a recording remotely, come out and go back into "Planner" and your new recording should be there

What Is Sky Player?
Sky Player is Sky's VOD service that runs on the same platform as the BBC's iPlayer and Channel 4's 4OD (Kontiki). Any customer with a valid subscription can make use of Sky Player to watch a selection of on demand programmes. If you also have a multiroom subscription, you can watch up to 10 live TV streams online using the same Sky Player Client. Sky Player programmes are DRM protected and have expiry dates activated upon first play. Some Sky Player content is PPV or for lifetime purchase. Sky Player can only be installed on a single PC - if you want to reinstall it on a different computer, you must call Sky to deauthorise the first PC. See MySky for full details.

What HD Channels Are Available?
Channel 4 HD (Free, but card must be inserted)
BBC HD (Free, no card required)
Sky One HD (Requires HD mix)
FX HD (Requires HD mix)
Bio HD (Requires HD mix)
Sci-Fi HD (Requires HD mix)
Sky Arts HD (Requires HD mix)
Luxe.tv HD (Free, no card required)
Sky Real Lives HD (Requires HD mix)
Sky Premier HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Screen 1 HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Screen 2 HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Comedy HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Action HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Family HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Drama HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Sci-Fi/Horror HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Modern Greats HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Sports 1 HD (Requires Sports Mix)
Sky Sports 2 HD (Requires Sports Mix)
Sky Sports 3 HD (Requires Sports Mix)
Eurosport HD (Requires HD Mix)
Rush HD (Requires HD Mix)
Discovery HD (Requires HD Mix)
Crime HD (Requires HD Mix)
National Geographic HD (Requires HD Mix)
Sky Box Office 1 HD (PPV)
Sky Box Office 2 HD (PPV)

Is ITV HD Available?
No! There is an ongoing dispute between Sky and ITV, so ITV are backing Freesat as their primary carrier or ITV HD. There is no ETA for ITV HD. It can be added as an extra channel via the 'Other Channels' option, see here - http://www.tellytoad.com/page/itv-hd-on-sky-hd.aspx

Can I Disable The "Press Red" Logo's That Appear?
A lot of broadcasters are now using the interactive features of Sky Digita's platform - unfortunately, it is not possible to disable this interactivity, so a programme containing interactive features will likely have the "Press Red" (or similar) prompt displayed throughout the programme. These prompts are NOT present whilst watching recorded programmes.

Technical:

How Much Space Does Recording Consume?
Sky's channels use different amounts of bandwidth, which causes variances in the amount of space required on the hard disk.

An hour long episode of 24 on Sky One in standard definition would take up approximately 1.4gig (about 0.8%). The same programme on Sky One HD would take up 4.5gig (about 2.8%).

These calculations assume an average bitrate of 3Mbps for Sky One SD and 10Mbps for Sky One HD. It's not an exact science unfortunately.

As a rough guide, you can assume an SD channel will use up between 1.5-2gig/hour whilst HD will consume between 4-7gig/hour.

Does The HDMI Port of a Sky+HD Box Carry Multi-Channel Audio?
No. To get multi-channel audio from a Sky+HD box using the HDMI connection, you will still require a connection between the optical out connector of the Sky+HD box and your A/V receiver. There is a known issue with older versions of the Sony SGR-DT820 A/V receiver when using a Sky+HD box - this is resolved in the latest firmware revision.

Other:

I Have Heard Sky Have Trialled 3DTV via Sky+HD - When Can I Get This?
It is true that Sky have held in-house testing of 3D television delivered by their Sky+HD box. This had some limitations in that it required a special television set and also the viewer was required to wear special glasses. There is no confirmed reports that Sky will release this technology to the public.

I Am Not Happy For The Sky Box To Make Phone Calls - Can I Stop It?
Any calls the box makes of it's own accord will be to a freefone number. Unfortunately, the box tends to "phone home" at random intervals in order to validate the telephone number (for "Interactive Discount" eligiblity and also Multiroom eligibility). Attempting to stop these calls will likely result in a letter/call from Sky.

Any other calls which you initiate will have their call charges clearly stated before the modem dials. Some calls are freefone, others are 0844 or 0845 numbers - again the call charges are clearly displayed. If you want to stop all customer-prompted calls, you can pin protect the modem so that any calls must be authorised by the user via a PIN.

What Is My PIN?
If you haven't changed your PIN, the default is the last 4 digits of the viewing card number. It is recommended that you change this as soon as possible. This can be done either via Sky.com or via Sky Active. If you forget your PIN, you can get it reset, again via either Sky.com or Sky Active.

Tip : Dumping The Current Programme To The Hard Disk
If you started watching a programme from the beginning on live tv, it is possible to dump it to the hard disk from the beginning (so say your programme started at 7pm and you watched until 7.15pm then decided to record it). Simply press the record button to dump the recording from the point you started watching.

Component outputs

Only available on Thomson boxes and then only on earlier versions.

Known bugs
The Thomson v1 has a bug with fast forwar and reverse. At x12 & x30 it is not at all smooth and often very confusing.

There is a known issue with the PSU in the Thomson v1 more info and upgraded PSUs available at http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page12.htm#psukit

Unfortuneately one of the symptoms of a failing psu can be caused by another bug. Future recordings failing before they occur can either be the PSU on its way out or a bug on the sky time feed which is known to have happened on several occasions

Last edited by Alan b; 03-03-2010 at 21:46.
Kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:39   #3
Guest 650
Trusted User

Component outputs

Only available on Thomson boxes and then only on earlier versions.

Known bugs
The Thomson v1 has a bug with fast forwar and reverse. At x12 & x30 it is not at all smooth and often very confusing.

There is a known issue with the PSU in the Thomson v1 more info and upgraded PSUs available at http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page12.htm#psukit

Unfortuneately one of the symptoms of a failing psu can be caused by another bug. Future recordings failing before they occur can either be the PSU on its way out or a bug on the sky time feed which is known to have happened on several occasions http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=813729 http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=624085

Might be worth a section on Hard drive upgrades. The three most useful pages are:
http://www.geocities.com/skypluswss/hdd.htm
http://www.morlocks.co.uk/disc-change-hd.htm
http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/instructions.php

Last edited by Ridcully; 05-02-2009 at 08:37.
Guest 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42   #4
mattymoo
Gamertag: stevie40

Samsung boxes - very good but HDMI only. Had mine for about 2 weeks now (bought before the offer ) no issues to date.

Thomson boxes - known issues with power circuit board and failing capacitors. Replacement kits available via ebay (capacitors) but only of any use if you are very good at soldering surface mount components. Does have component out though.

There is a planned upgrade to the EPG and should roll out within the next month. Sky engineers have been testing it in their personal machines. Will change the colour scheme and re-organise the way series linked programmes are handled. Apparently where you have a series recorded, you will see one entry only and then what looks like a stack of papers next to it to show there is a sub directory containing the various episodes.
mattymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48   #5
mjb1975
Blandiblub

As someone with a Thomson box, I can confirm the power supply problem - I've replaced mine already (had it about 18 months to now, replaced the PSU the latter part of last year).

I actually got lucky on eBay for mine (someone selling one they didn't need after all) but the Satcure site above is a good option otherwise.

The x12 and x30 fast forward is annoying but easily dealt with. You can put it on either speed and it does actually go that fast but not as far as you can see on screen. If you leave it on either speed for a short while, then flick back to x6, it kinda 'catches up' and goes mega fast until you reach the point you would've got to if the screen showed those faster speeds genuinely.

With a bit of practice you can master advert breaks, etc, and get it to slow down again for the next part of the prog you're watching.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44   #6
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Just my 2 pennies worth....the 10 HD James Bond films that they are showing from Sunday 8th Feb are all going to be available on Anytime from Sunday

http://tv.sky.com/tvlistings

Oh yeah.....the new HD epg software is now "imminent"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...-imminent.html

Last edited by platty; 05-02-2009 at 08:46.
platty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:50   #7
DJBenson
Android Defector

Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Subscriptions:

What Packages Are Available?
The table below shows the packages and prices as at 05 February 2009:

What Is The Minimum Level of Subscription?
This depends upon what features you want.

The cheapest way to use the recording features is either £9.75/month with no subscrption channels, or the option below
The cheapest standard Sky package is £16.50 (one entertainment mix) and includes Sky+ recording functionality
The cheapest route to HD is £26.25 (one entertainment mix @ £16.50 and the HD pack @ £9.75)
The cheapest multiroom subscription is also £26.25 (one entertainment mix @ £16.50 and the multiroom subscription @ £9.75)

If I Don't Subscribe, Can I Record the FTA Channels?
For free? No. The cheapest way is laid out above, either £9.75 just to record FTA channels, or £16.50 for the lowest subscription package which includes Sky+ recording functionality.

Does The HD Pack Constitute A "Mix" for Sky+ Recording Purposes?
No. In order to enable the Sky+ recording features, the minimum subscription is currently £16.50. The cheapest route to HD with recording capabilities would be 1 mix and the HD pack (£16.50 + £9.75).

Is The HD Pack Mirrored On The Multiroom Subscription?
No. Should you have more than one Sky+HD box, you will need to pay the £9.75 subscription for each box you wish to view subscription HD content on.

Installations:

What LNB Will Be Fitted?
From talks with the installers in my area, I am led to believe that you will almost certainly be fitted with a quad LNB - this will allow 4 outputs, meaning you could have 4 standard boxes, two Sky+ or Sky+HD boxes or a single Sky+ or Sky+HD box and either one or two standard boxes. For customers taking multiroom in more than two rooms, an octo-LNB (8 outputs) will be fitted. It is unlikely you will be fitted with an octo-LNB unless absolutely necessary (i.e. you probably wont get one if you simply ask in the hope you can install Freesat yourself off the spare LNB outputs).

What Is A "Standard Install"?
From Sky's suppled definitions to ASA's, a standard install is a single box in a single room, with a maximum of 10m of cable. The dish will be wall mounted below roof level of a 2 storey property. Non-standard includes properties higher than two stories, ground and pole mounts.

Do I Need A BT Line?
No. You need a fixed phone-line, that can be from BT, Virgin, Post-Office or Sky themselves. VOIP lines cannot be used.

Can I Choose My Own Box?
No. You can ask nicely, but the general rule of thumb is that you get whatever the engineer has on his van.

How Can I Tell If I Got A Refurbished Box?
New boxes tend to be delivered in a black, blue or red branded box. Refurbished boxes are usually in plain cardboard boxes.

Can I Demand A New Box?
No. You will be supplied with a box that is suitable for purpose (i.e. capable of decoding either Sky or SkyHD signals. The condition of the box (i.e. whether or not it is new) is irrelevant as long as it is fit for purpose. You can ASK for a new one, the same you can ASK for a specific brand, but the installer/Sky can decline.

Equipment:

Do I Own My Box?
Yes - from day one the box is yours. The downside to this is that after 12 months, it is your responsibility to have the box repaired if it fails.

How Big Is The Hard Disk?
300gig. 160gig is available user storage, 140gig is reserved for Sky Anytime TV.

What Connections Will My Box Have?

There are some variations on this, but as a general rule, all boxes will have 2xSCART (1 RGB-enabled), Stereo Audio Out (Phono), Modem connection, Optical Audio Out (TOSLINK), RF In, RF Out, RF Out 2 (With power for Sky Eye remote extender). Some boxes will have an RS232 port (unused for customer application) and of course the satellite input connectors (1 on standard boxes, two on Sky+ and Sky+HD boxes). I believe some boxes also have SVIDEO sockets too.

HD boxes will have the above connections plus an HDMI port. Older HD boxes may still have component out. The Samsung HD box also has a USB port under the flap where the viewing card is located. This has no known use at present.

Do I Need To Keep My Box Connected To The Phone Line?
Depends on your situation:

a) You have just had a single box installed

You have two options here - you can keep the box connected and then do with it as you wish after the initial 12 months or you can buy your way out of the "Interactive Discount" by making a one-time payment to Sky of £25. You can then disconnect the box from the line.

b) If you have more than one box and have a multiroom subscription

It is a must that the second box (the one with the multiroom subscription) remains connected. If you disconnect the second box and Sky poll the box to see if it's there, you will firstly get a warning letter, then maybe a call, then they will charge you full price for the second subscription.

What's In The Box?

Standard Sky boxes and Sky+ boxes come with the following;

Box, SCART Cable, UHF Patch Cable, Telephone to Modem cable, Remote, Batteries, Manual.

Sky+HD boxes come with everything above with the inclusion of a basic HDMI cable.

Will My Remote Control My TV/Amp?
More than likely. A selection of the most popular codes are included in the enclosed manual. To the best of my knowledge, I believe the Sky remotes to use a subset of the "One4All" remote control database so the scope for support is massive. Newer remotes (i.e. those provided with Sky+HD) will obviously have more support for a wider range of devices as the code database has been expanded. Standard Sky remotes, Sky+ Remotes and Sky+HD remotes are all interchangeable but obviously certain hardware buttons will vary.

Should I Take Out A Warranty?
In my personal opinion, no! The first reason is that there are a lot of scam warranty companies out there, many posing as agents of Sky. The second is the simple fact that a broken box outside of your 12 month contract will give you some bargaining power. If your box breaks, you are no longer able to watch TV, and if you can no longer watch TV, you will cancel your subscription. If you try cancelling your subscription due to a faulty box, you will more often than not be offered a repair or replacement (usually a refurbished box) in order to retain your custom. This is playing the game somewhat, but at the end of the day, Sky need your cash, so will probably resolve your box issues in order to keep taking your cash.

Viewing

What Is Anytime TV?
Anytime TV is a pseudo-on demand service whereby the box records a selection of programming each week which is available on rotation. If you wish to save a programme from Anytime TV, simply select it from the Anytime TV list and press the record button, it will then be saved to the user part of the recorder, and will only be deleted when you decide.

What Is Sky Remote Record?
This is a feature that allows you to schedule recording remotely, either from a supported mobile phone using a downloadable client, vis Sky.com or using SMS (charged at 25p each). Full details available via MySky.

How Long Does It Take For A Remote Record Request To Be Delivered?
Sky say to allow 30 minutes - real world tests prove it is almost instant. To test this, go to the "Planner" section of your Sky Guide, schedule a recording remotely, come out and go back into "Planner" and your new recording should be there

How Does Remote Record Work?
Basically, your request is sent to Sky's servers, in turn, your request is matched to a particular box and is then sent out in the satellite signal which is then decoded only by your box. This is much the same way as subscription changes (i.e. adding/removing channels) are delivered to your box over the air.

I Have More Than One Box, How Does Remote Record Work?
Remote Record is tied to a single mobile phone number and box. To make use of Remote Record on more than one box, you will need a second mobile number and an additional account added to the primary MySky account.

What Is Sky Player?
Sky Player is Sky's VOD service that runs on the same platform as the BBC's iPlayer and Channel 4's 4OD (Kontiki). Any customer with a valid subscription can make use of Sky Player to watch a selection of on demand programmes. If you also have a multiroom subscription, you can watch up to 10 live TV streams online using the same Sky Player Client. Sky Player programmes are DRM protected and have expiry dates activated upon first play. Some Sky Player content is PPV or for lifetime purchase. Sky Player can only be installed on a single PC - if you want to reinstall it on a different computer, you must call Sky to deauthorise the first PC. See MySky for full details.

What HD Channels Are Available?
Channel 4 HD (Free, but card must be inserted)
BBC HD (Free, no card required)
Sky One HD (Requires HD mix)
FX HD (Requires HD mix)
Bio HD (Requires HD mix)
Sci-Fi HD (Requires HD mix)
Sky Arts HD (Requires HD mix)
Luxe.tv HD (Free, no card required)
Sky Real Lives HD (Requires HD mix)
Sky Premier HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Screen 1 HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Screen 2 HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Comedy HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Action HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Family HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Drama HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Sci-Fi/Horror HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Modern Greats HD (Requires Movie Mix)
Sky Sports 1 HD (Requires Sports Mix)
Sky Sports 2 HD (Requires Sports Mix)
Sky Sports 3 HD (Requires Sports Mix)
Eurosport HD (Requires HD Mix)
Rush HD (Requires HD Mix)
Discovery HD (Requires HD Mix)
Crime HD (Requires HD Mix)
National Geographic HD (Requires HD Mix)
Sky Box Office 1 HD (PPV)
Sky Box Office 2 HD (PPV)

Is ITV HD Available?
No! There is an ongoing dispute between Sky and ITV, so ITV are backing Freesat as their primary carrier or ITV HD. There is no ETA for ITV HD.

Can I Disable The "Press Red" Logo's That Appear?
A lot of broadcasters are now using the interactive features of Sky Digita's platform - unfortunately, it is not possible to disable this interactivity, so a programme containing interactive features will likely have the "Press Red" (or similar) prompt displayed throughout the programme. These prompts are NOT present whilst watching recorded programmes.

Technical:

How Much Space Does Recording Consume?
Sky's channels use different amounts of bandwidth, which causes variances in the amount of space required on the hard disk.

An hour long episode of 24 on Sky One in standard definition would take up approximately 1.4gig (about 0.8%). The same programme on Sky One HD would take up 4.5gig (about 2.8%).

These calculations assume an average bitrate of 3Mbps for Sky One SD and 10Mbps for Sky One HD. It's not an exact science unfortunately.

As a rough guide, you can assume an SD channel will use up between 1.5-2gig/hour whilst HD will consume between 4-7gig/hour.

Does The HDMI Port of a Sky+HD Box Carry Multi-Channel Audio?
No. To get multi-channel audio from a Sky+HD box using the HDMI connection, you will still require a connection between the optical out connector of the Sky+HD box and your A/V receiver. There is a known issue with older versions of the Sony SGR-DT820 A/V receiver when using a Sky+HD box - this is resolved in the latest firmware revision.

Other:

I Have Heard Sky Have Trialled 3DTV via Sky+HD - When Can I Get This?
It is true that Sky have held in-house testing of 3D television delivered by their Sky+HD box. This had some limitations in that it required a special television set and also the viewer was required to wear special glasses. There is no confirmed reports that Sky will release this technology to the public.

I Am Not Happy For The Sky Box To Make Phone Calls - Can I Stop It?
Any calls the box makes of it's own accord will be to a freefone number. Unfortunately, the box tends to "phone home" at random intervals in order to validate the telephone number (for "Interactive Discount" eligiblity and also Multiroom eligibility). Attempting to stop these calls will likely result in a letter/call from Sky.

Any other calls which you initiate will have their call charges clearly stated before the modem dials. Some calls are freefone, others are 0844 or 0845 numbers - again the call charges are clearly displayed. If you want to stop all customer-prompted calls, you can pin protect the modem so that any calls must be authorised by the user via a PIN.

What Is My PIN?
If you haven't changed your PIN, the default is the last 4 digits of the viewing card number. It is recommended that you change this as soon as possible. This can be done either via Sky.com or via Sky Active. If you forget your PIN, you can get it reset, again via either Sky.com or Sky Active.

If you started watching a programme from the beginning on live tv, it is possible to dump it to the hard disk from the beginning (so say your programme started at 7pm and you watched until 7.15pm then decided to record it). Simply press the record button to dump the recording from the point you started watching.

Last edited by DJBenson; 05-02-2009 at 16:19.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:41   #8
mattymoo
Gamertag: stevie40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
[B]

If you started watching a programme from the beginning on live tv, it is possible to dump it to the hard disk from the beginning (so say your programme started at 7pm and you watched until 7.15pm then decided to record it). Simply rewind the programme to the beginning then press record.
Thanks for all the info. AFAIK all you need to do is press record while watching the live TV. It will then dump everything to the HD since you started watching the programme.

To clarify though, if you start watching 5 mins in and press record 15 mins in, it will record everything from 5mins to end of programme. You will not get the first 5 mins.
mattymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:06   #9
DJBenson
Android Defector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymoo View Post
Thanks for all the info. AFAIK all you need to do is press record while watching the live TV. It will then dump everything to the HD since you started watching the programme.

To clarify though, if you start watching 5 mins in and press record 15 mins in, it will record everything from 5mins to end of programme. You will not get the first 5 mins.
I couldn't remember if you had to rewind or not so put it in for safety. I have amended accordingly. Cheers mattymoo!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35   #10
Guest 754
Trusted User

When mine gets installed, should I check that I don't get a brown box set? I asssume I paid for the box and it should be new as its a new account?
Guest 754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:42   #11
DJBenson
Android Defector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst View Post
When mine gets installed, should I check that I don't get a brown box set? I asssume I paid for the box and it should be new as its a new account?
See my new question "Can I Demand A New Box?" above.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:04   #12
Guest 754
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
See my new question "Can I Demand A New Box?" above.
Doh!
Guest 754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:25   #13
Philc
Cock

For the offer do you have to sub to a pack and the HD or can you cancel say the Variety pack and then keep the HD pack going?

Also when ordered online how long before you get the vouchers?
Philc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:52   #14
DJBenson
Android Defector

Philc - it is my understanding that the HD pack does not constitute a "mix" so you would still need at least 1 mix (£16.50) for the recording features to be enabled.

As for the vouchers - I am not sure on this one.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08   #15
Philc
Cock

Yes that was my thought too. I'm just not sure I need the extra HD chans, happy with Chan 4 and BBC. Other than that Sky1 but not too fussed.
Philc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:31   #16
Guest 43711
Trusted User

i can see you have said 160g available for recording above, but how much does a 1hr episode of say 24 take up?
Guest 43711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43   #17
DJBenson
Android Defector

That is subjective.

Last edited by DJBenson; 05-02-2009 at 16:20.
Old 05-02-2009, 13:26   #18
Kryten

Some great info there guys I'll spend some time later updating the first post with this info

Knowing my luck I know I am almost guaranteed to get the worst box out there and a refurb one at that! I have never got any of the good Sky boxes over the years

One question is are the hard disks quiet? I have had to turn off the instant rewind and the anytime TV as the noise from my Amstrad Sky+ box is too much to cope with for me
Old 05-02-2009, 13:33   #19
DJBenson
Android Defector

I hadn't heard a peep from either of our boxes until this morning, I was stood in the bedroom with the Sky+ box in front of my face (on top of the TV on top of some drawers) and there was a feint whisper from the HDD and/or fan. Really very quiet.
Old 05-02-2009, 13:53   #20
Kryten

Hmm, maybe it is just mine but I can hear the had disk seeking all the time. It is as bad as an old classic SCSI disk at times!