Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Notices

Old 26-11-2008, 23:31   #61
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

My local Woolies is having a huge sale on Friday (presumably as a result of the news). Maybe I should have waited before buying my son's Peppa Pig rocket for his Christmas present ....
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 00:58   #62
dvds2000
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I could actually see Wilkinsons being next to go under, they do pound world stuff as well (for slightly more than £1) and its so cheap they can't actually be making money. I bought a double duvet in there for £3 the other week.
I doubt that, you would be surprised how cheap trade prices are on stuff like that.
I was buying quilts in 100's a few years ago, and was paying £2 single, £2.50 double and £3 king size, I know the person I was buying from was making 50p on each one, and his order was 500 a week, so I presume Wilkinsons are getting them cheaper than that considering their buying power!
dvds2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 05:49   #63
Guest 66640
Banned

Waterstones -No problem as the original owner wants it back. At the right price.

Poundland -No problem as it was sold approx 2 years ago to people with £££s. They were actually in the process of dumping it when we got the credit crunch.

Woolies and MFI (REALLY glad to see MFI go) have been on the road out for years and years. I don't blame the loan managers (ie banks) for closing these businesses because their models (companies AND banks to be honest) are a complete mess and the banks have been supporting them far too long. Problem is Woolies and MFI own all sorts of strange companies that we would miss sharpish so I'm hoping that's all sorted quickly.

About 5 years ago the type these **** companies that bought Rover Group went on an enormous spending spree buying up brands and stripping their assets. Most will be fine but others will die within weeks because they were sold off to idiots (with idiot banks giving them our money) like some of the people who owned Woolworths.

And at the end of the day these are PLCs so should have no governement (ie our tax) protection. Not even for those giant cola bottles in Woolies. Northern Rock, RBS and the rest of the snake oil businesses had to be saved because if the very polite people in Iceland (the country not the shop) riot over a few mortgages imagine what "English" people would do if they lost their savings? Think Poll Tax riots x 10.

Capitalism has failed. But nobody said it was perfect. It'll restart with nothing lost really.

My finances are fine so I feel for all these people who have an uncertain xmas period and I'm sure we'll all be thinking about them. Hopefully all will go well.
Guest 66640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 08:53   #64
DJBenson
Android Defector

Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Will be very sad to see Woolies go. It is a national institution and it will be weird not having them on the highstreet any more.

I used to live in Chorley, and Woolworths is housed in the largest of the units in the Market Walk shopping centre, many of the smaller units have come and gone, but if/when Woolies goes (and this is a fairly busy store) it will be another nail in the coffin of the Market Walk.

In it's day, Woolworths was the only place my grandparents would shop at Christmas. They used to get all the chocolates, crisps, nuts etc. as well as most of our presents.

I agree that they have lost their way somewhat, and simply cannot compete with the big gun's - but surely a complete overhaul of their business could mean they could survive going forward, in some capacity at least.

The Burnley store (where I work now) is one of the stereotypical stores, pretty dirty, dingy looking thing with no logic to their merchandising. I have less affection for that store, having been brought up around the Chorley store, but I do feel for the staff set to lose their jobs - it's not nice, but it's compounded by the time of year.

My company (Homeserve) is undergoing a consultation period at the moment as they need to save £5million next year (despite hitting their targets this year) so I and a lot of people I work with are all holding our breaths until Tuesday when we find out what the score is.

Last edited by DJBenson; 27-11-2008 at 08:55.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:08   #65
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

in the small town where i live the toyshop closed down 2 years ago because of the competition from woolies, now with woolies gone there is nowhere to buy toys in our whole town

i like toys.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:32   #66
topcatderby
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
My local Woolies is having a huge sale on Friday (presumably as a result of the news). Maybe I should have waited before buying my son's Peppa Pig rocket for his Christmas present ....
nah - they allways have sales on payday...

http://www.thedvdforums.co.uk/forums...d.php?t=437089
topcatderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 10:03   #67
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Heard on the news this morning the Dixons group shares have taken a hamering today.

Also heard that there's a group ready to buy Woolies but wholesalers are blocking it till Woolworths shift loads of stock. So they could be some cracking bargins coming up soon.

Last edited by Mr Majestik; 27-11-2008 at 10:07.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 10:15   #68
Guest 33510
Trusted User

I live near a small town in the highlands - when I came here 10 years ago there were 2 hardware stores, a currys, a small department store, a kitchenware shop, a home decoration shop, and woolies. Without woolies there will be very few useful shops left on the high street at all. These shops have been replaced with either discount outdoor clothing retailers, or charity shops, which now make up a lot of the shops on the high street.
The selection of non food items at Morrisons is limited, so the places left to buy practical items (electrical, hardware, toys etc) is very limited. Obviously the internet is going to take over in a lot of areas of retailing, but the high streets of a lot of small towns will be desolate. I have no idea if there's any solution to this, I personally always liked woolies, but obviously a lot of people didn't. I would have thought that some of their market town style shops would be reasonably profitable, where competition is low. I guess all the shops will disappear though.
Guest 33510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 10:45   #69
AdminSpod
Does anybody read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
Heard on the news this morning the Dixons group shares have taken a hamering today.
DSG shares have lost 90% of their value over the past year and I heard that means it has dropped out of the FTSE 100.
AdminSpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:00   #70
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkrag View Post

I'm sure WHS will be the next to go. Both them and Woolies are just relics from the high street of the 80's.
Out of interest what are people basing there "WH Smith to go next" on?

Is it just a hunch or are there some figures to back it up?

Reason I ask is that this was from 9 October 2008

Quote:
WH Smith profit flat but sales up

WH Smith has reported flat annual profits, but a strong performance by shops in airports and railway stations.
Helped by cost cuts, its pre-tax, post-exceptional profits totalled £76m for the year to 31 August, the same figure as a year earlier.
Like-for-like sales, excluding new store openings, were down 2%, although total sales were up 4%.
WH Smith said it was now planning for a "competitive" Christmas trading period as consumer spending continues to slow.
Travel outlets
While like-for-like sales at WH Smith's High Street stores fell 3% during the last year, they rose 1% at its travel business, which comprises its outlets at railway stations, airports and motorway service stops.
Overall, sales at the travel unit were up 22% due to acquisitions during the year.
Total sales across the group, including new store openings, were up 4% to £1.35bn from £1.30bn a year earlier.
Across the year, WH Smith said it achieved cost savings of £8m and also managed to increase product profit margins.
WH Smith chief executive Kate Swann said the firm had "delivered another year of good profit performance".
On a pre-exceptional basis, WH Smith's pre-tax profit rose 15% to £76m from £66m a year earlier.
Shares in the firm were up 7.6% in lunchtime trading in London.
Considering what has been going on, those figures are quite good, has something happened since this?

Last edited by new; 27-11-2008 at 11:06.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:07   #71
douglasb
Suedehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Out of interest what are people basing there "WH Smith to go next" on?

Is it just a hunch or are there some figures to back it up?
Nothing. Smiths are trading quite well at the moment. It's just armchair economists using their own spending patterns as the basis for an opinion.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:53   #72
Guest 22574
Roar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
Nothing. Smiths are trading quite well at the moment. It's just armchair economists using their own spending patterns as the basis for an opinion.
I hope that bbc presenter doesnt read this thread & mistake it for fact too.
Guest 22574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 12:53   #73
LouBarlow
Retired Member

My local Woolworths is closing sunday. Sad day
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:04   #74
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

The two towns I live in (Braintree and Chelmsford) both have huge Woolwortheseses, it'll be weird without them.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:05   #75
douglasb
Suedehead.

I (allegedly) stole a U2 cassette from Woolies when a callow youth. My deeds are truly coming home to roost now.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:39   #76
philatio
up spook hill

Quote:
Waterstones -No problem as the original owner wants it back. At the right price.
I wouldn't pay much notice of that.
Tim Waterstone is all talk. He was talking of buying it back when WHS owned it. He's been talking of buying it back now HMV own it. It'll never happen.
I thought it was doing quite well under HMV ownership anyway?

As for Smiths..
I used to work for them many years ago and am still a shareholder. We're assured they're doing OK and the figures seem to back that up.
Don't know how though to be honest. The stores are a right mess. Not as bad as Woolies.. but not far off.
philatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:40   #77
Richie
Trusted User

Woolies' website seems to have gone. It was there then suddenly it wasn't.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:57   #78
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatio View Post
I wouldn't pay much notice of that.
Tim Waterstone is all talk. He was talking of buying it back when WHS owned it. He's been talking of buying it back now HMV own it. It'll never happen.
I thought it was doing quite well under HMV ownership anyway?

As for Smiths..
I used to work for them many years ago and am still a shareholder. We're assured they're doing OK and the figures seem to back that up.
Don't know how though to be honest. The stores are a right mess. Not as bad as Woolies.. but not far off.
I have to take our son pass our local WHSmith & Woolies every Saturday on the way to his swimming lesson.
Have to say WHSMith is always the most busiest shop in the high street, where as Woolies is one of the largest but less busy of the street.

In fact the only people I know who shop at Woolies is my son & his mates and thats to make use of there 3 for 2 offer that they always had going for toys.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 14:52   #79
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Plenty of people shopping in Woolies at lunchtime. Lots of people carrying BIG Woolies bags with BIG things in.

Off to the 'Toon tomorrow so no doubt I'll pop in to see if they are reducing any stock... I'll have to fight my way through the crowds of Pramfaces though. They love Woolies in Clayton Street for some reason...
Old 27-11-2008, 15:01   #80
meeti roti
Trusted User

Staines Woolies not doing Lottery. Does this mean the the National Lottery have pulled the plug on them selling tickets.

Store was packed with people, but i could see some bare space on the shelves. Wonder if deliveries have stopped.

Lots of long faces from the staff. Very sad esp this time of year

Still i bet the vultures will be circling especially if the stores start having closing down sales.

people fighting over pic n mix reduced to 1p!!!!!!
meeti roti is offline   Reply With Quote