Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 18-10-2008, 11:37   #1
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

Travelling/Books: Lone traveller for the first time books?

I'm looking into going travelling for the first time and will be on my own, probably to America. Parts of the trips will be to stay with friends, but other times I'll be on my own.

Are there any good books on travelling alone for the first time?

Any good websites?

Any tips?

Thanks
Old 18-10-2008, 11:51   #2
SIMON ADEBISI

Lonelyplanet.com

Dont wear jewellery
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 12:21   #3
Guest 44108

Where are you going?

How long are going for?

How are you travelling?

The US isn't great for the lone ranger, it doesn't have same amount of travellers/backpackers as other countries.

take a look at Bill Bryson's books.
Old 18-10-2008, 12:56   #4
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

Practical nomad

this book is quite good.

Though with the US, all you really need is good reading books, its the one place i'm perfectly happy to travel alone - at the very worse, if you get lonely, you can go to the cinema/watch the local tv/read the local books/papers/mags.

Bill bryson does ace travelogues.

having time on your own and then meeting mates sounds a good way to break things up.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 13:27   #5
Guest 22574

I always go for the DK books, and look at tripadvisor.com. The books don't have anything that i noticed specifically about going alone, but have been twice to US and been fine.
Old 18-10-2008, 13:31   #6
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
The US isn't great for the lone ranger, it doesn't have same amount of travellers/backpackers as other countries.
I have to disagree with you strongly because having very widely travelled within the US several times in the last 17 years, I believe it is one of the best countries in the world for the "lone ranger". In fact, in 2005 I deliberately arranged a lone visit to the Carolinas going through the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mountains and the Outer Banks; I have planned a similar holiday to New Mexico in 2010. It takes a bit of getting used to because the major highways are planned differently from UK or Europe but it is much more geared up for the long traveller. I always hire a car in the US because it is cheaper and far more convenient; motels and eating places (there is a huge choice almost everywhere) are located in relation to Highway exits in a lot of states and the road planning and signposting is second to none.

One of the great things about travelling alone in the USA is to plan your own itinerary, stopping off in motels off the beaten track and charting your own route. Except in popular places like Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon etc, you don't even need to book in advance.
Raigmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 14:56   #7
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Seconded. One of the first places I backpacked on leaving college, and one of the best times of my life. Made many friends, and had an absolute blast. I hitchhiked, and greyhounded it as well - didn't even use a car at the time.

I would have thought for a "lone ranger", the US is probably the best place you could start!
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 16:22   #8
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
I would have thought for a "lone ranger", the US is probably the best place you could start!
Not only that, but I would actually prefer to be on my own while travelling in Countryside USA because I can do excatly my own thing. I spent 3 wonderful days lazily driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway sightseeing and stopping completely at random. I wish I had done similar things more often.
Raigmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 17:51   #9
Guest 8391

I intend to backpack through the states within the next year, I was going to get one of those greyhound passes which gives you unlimited tickets so I can go where ever I want, when I want. Heck, the greyhounds also go into Canada and Mexico.
Old 18-10-2008, 18:17   #10
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
I intend to backpack through the states within the next year, I was going to get one of those greyhound passes which gives you unlimited tickets so I can go where ever I want, when I want. Heck, the greyhounds also go into Canada and Mexico.
Don't rule out megabus either, as they operate in the US too! You can travel between states cheapy cheap if you plan a little in advance.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 12:17   #11
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

Thanks all
Old 20-10-2008, 12:30   #12
Guest 56160

check out all your hotels / hostels on trip adviser for the candid snaps, http://www.roughguides.com is always a good place to look.
Old 21-10-2008, 19:23   #13
Guest 10192

I just returned from a 2 week trip in the US and travelled alone. I had a car and it was very easy to get around. Drove from Vegas to the Grand Canyon South Rim and it was a lovely drive. Also drove to the Valley of Fire and it was really nice to have the peace and quiet of being inside the park, you can hear a pin drop it is so quiet.

I took a copy of Dave Gorman's America Unchained to read and it was a great read.

I was in Vegas, Grand Canyon, and San Francisco and although it would have been nice to be with a companion, it still was a good experience on your own as you can do what you want and when you want especially if you have a car.

If you are in San Fran, I would recomment you visting City Lights Book store on Columbus, it's a great bookstore and they encourage you to stay there and read some books. Also, there is a nice book shop on Height St which is also worth going, can't remember the name but it is in Lower Height.

Last edited by zenza; 21-10-2008 at 19:26.
Old 11-01-2009, 21:18   #14
Jonnyrepp
Gone Petshopping

I'm considering doing something like this but somewhere else, possibly S.E. Asia. Does anyone have any more tips for websites/travel books please?

Many thanks
Jonnyrepp is offline   Reply With Quote