Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Bargain Forum

Notices

Old 16-04-2008, 16:00   #21
Kryten

Please post in the site suggestions forum if you can, would be nice to know how you think we can do that!
Old 16-04-2008, 16:01   #22
Guest 24656

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Hardware is where its at, TV's amps etc.

Beef up the playback, audio and video forums and get people posting in there, then add your affiliate links to them.

£27 per hit for a plasma rather than 60p for a DVD.
On the other hand someone will only buy a tv every 2/3 years, some people on here buy a dvd every week.

Last edited by simonmac; 16-04-2008 at 16:02.
Old 16-04-2008, 16:07   #23
Guest 49424

Quote:
Maybe you should just close the bargain forum then splobber then people won't abuse anything and toddle off to order stuff elsewhere.

Or make the forums financial accounts public so we can actually see that the place doesn't make a huge profit. It keeps getting said that the place is expensive to run but what never gets said is how much the place earns in affiliate income. If I earn £250 per year on my own cashback then this forum must make a bundle of cash from link clicks and such. I'm not sure I believe the hard up story thats posted here sometimes.

Not having a go, just posting my thoughts on the matter.

And, you don't have a god given right to any members affiliate income, you need to earn it and there are plenty of other forums and websites competing with you for those clicks. If people aren't using your links then maybe you need to have a look at the forums themselves and think up a new strategy for earning more affiliate income rather than moaning on that it puts your nose out of joint when people toddle off to save a tin of value beans. That sort of comment doesn't make me want to support you I must admit.
Well said. By the way affiliate links are constantly pushed and scrambled over by the admin when someone forgets to add a link; I find it hard to believe this forum doesn't make a considerable profit from its links/sponsorship especially considering the low cost of bandwith now.

Last edited by Merc; 16-04-2008 at 16:13.
Old 16-04-2008, 16:16   #24
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
That sort of comment doesn't make me want to support you I must admit.
You don't, you freely admit you go elsewhere to save those pennies. I'm sure those forums will be happy with an active new member if you don't like it here. Plenty of pics of granny and her 12 cats and important topics such as the never-ending debate of "Who's 10p baked beans are the best"
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 16:26   #25
Baz
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
You don't, you freely admit you go elsewhere to save those pennies. I'm sure those forums will be happy with an active new member if you don't like it here. Plenty of pics of granny and her 12 cats and important topics such as the never-ending debate of "Who's 10p baked beans are the best"
No, I freely admit that I use the other bargain forums to find the vouchers/discounts that weren't/aren't allowed here.

I try, when I remember, to use the forums links for places like amazon who don't have vouchers or any other discounts available and have done since I first joined.

The moderator (Kryten) asked for comments, yet from certain members comments and admin sarcasm I get the impression only certain types of comments are welcome.

Last edited by Baz; 16-04-2008 at 16:28.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 16:28   #26
Brad123
Well endowed

Damn no comet ones.
Old 16-04-2008, 16:31   #27
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
I find it hard to believe this forum doesn't make a considerable profit from its links/sponsorship especially considering the low cost of bandwith now.
Bandwidth does not cost us anywhere near as much as the several honking great servers required to run the sites (note the plural there, its not just the forums!)

Quote:
The moderator (Kryten) asked for comments, yet from certain members comments and admin sarcasm I get the impression only certain types of comments are welcome.
Use the suggestions forum or the contact us form to make them, we will either approve of them or not, you won't know until you post these constructive suggestions!

Last edited by Kryten; 16-04-2008 at 16:33.
Kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 16:50   #28
Guest 49424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
Bandwidth does not cost us anywhere near as much as the several honking great servers required to run the sites (note the plural there, its not just the forums!)
OK wasn't aware of other sites. What are they?
Old 16-04-2008, 16:52   #29
Kryten

DVDTimes, PoisonousMonkey, CDTimes, FilmJournal, mail server for all sites and Colin may have another out there I am not aware of! Also they can take more than one server per site for a site like this!

Last edited by Kryten; 16-04-2008 at 16:54.
Kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 17:12   #30
eye__writ
Trusted User

My general rule of thumb is to use the affiliate links here for most stuff (DVDs, games, etc), but if it's a £50 boxset/electrical item that I can save £5 on by going through a different site then I'll do that. I certainly don't begrudge missing out on the equivalent of a tin of Aldi beans just for the sake of it, but if it's a significant saving then I'll take it.

Anyway, to return to topic, allowing vouchers without T&Cs is a welcome change.

Last edited by eye__writ; 16-04-2008 at 17:13.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 17:16   #31
Guest 51105

I'm not sure what the problem is with the mod's "harsh" stance.

a) It's their house, its their rules. Its not like the rules aren't clearly laid out for everyone to see. If you don't like it, go elsewhere, but I have a feeling 95% of people are happy to stick to them.

b) I like having active mods who stick to the rules around, esp in the trading forums where they've helped me on numerous occasions to solve things that in other forums would have gone ignored.

I've updated most of my favourites links to include the affil id for the forums, so its nothing extra for me to do on a daily basis. Why shouldn't they ban links that take away income from their site? We've all saved a lot of money from using these forums, so I'd be quite happy if Colin & Co were living in luxury, sipping fine wine and eating peeled grapes The owners don't need to "earn" our affil income. We're using their forum, so if they want us to affil stuff, so be it.
Old 16-04-2008, 17:20   #32
Guest 29044

I would always encourage people to look after number one all the time, but I don't mean shaft people for the sake of it any way you can. Every penny's a prisoner and if you can get yourself a better deal then you are free to do that. Personally I use a site thats updated constantly where people vote to make it hot or otherwise. Even then I'll find my own way to try and get it cheaper or get cashback. Even if you save 1p but get £1 cashback on the same purchase it's worth it. Everyone's a winner. If the dvdf affiliate links are great value and/or there's no cashback to be had I'll click through.

The only thing is I've got a massive hosts file that blocks connections to ALL adserver/tracking sites with certain obvious exceptions since ads do not interest me at all. Sites got greedy with the number and prominence of said ads so I and many other people sought ways to hide or block these. It's your internet experience, you have it how YOU want it. You're paying for the connection and quite rightly choose what you download.

Sites do cost money to run but that is the person/company's risk and expense. They choose to set up a site and allowed it to expand with no clear business model around recouping costs. I've seen sites go under and while it's a shame then hey, it happens all the time to small and even large businesses. There's always a reason and I'm 100% behind good sites making back the costs to keep a site going but when it comes to making a profit and penalising people for not posting affiliate links - as slobber would say to to get back a bargain bin value tin of beans worth of commission, then thats a different story.

Never really found this place friendly at all but then I don't want virtual mates anyway so personally, it means nowt to me. Keyboard ninja's are everywhere, not just on here, so if it makes them happy, then . Mods don't get paid and there's a pretty good reason for that normally. It attracts a certain individual (again not just on here) but you can't block posts from them so you have to skip past them. Actually that refers to one not the others. I visit this place far less than I do any other and perhaps I am alone in that. Basically my point is I wouldn't put up with tossers in the bad ugly cruel real world, so in the comfort of my own home the defenses are raised even higher. I'm guessing visitor numbers have fallen. Look closer to home is all I can say. The fact the bargain forum was opened to the masses confirms this, and another way to bring in cash. Like I said previously, I'm not really bothered what people think or say (ironic eh? ) so flame all you want!

Alas I digress. You have to keep moving to stand still and competition is healthy.
Old 16-04-2008, 17:26   #33
alsemail
Bibble....

So the bargains are crap and you don't like the site or it's users.
It does beg the question.

Why are you here?

I don't think your idea that visitors numbers are falling either will hold true. Look at the "You're going to lose members" thread.

Last edited by alsemail; 16-04-2008 at 17:30.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 19:17   #34
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,272 Times in 639 Posts
Visitor numbers are stable - the costs for running the Forums alone are over half of the total outgoings for all of the sites. Each content-driven site we own MUST pay its own way otherwise it would be closed.

Over the past few years we had built up a financial buffer with the profit the site made - to ensure that if the worst happens we could keep running for a decent amount of time. That buffer stopped growing at the end of 2006, and the rate of affiliate conversions since then has decreased by 33% (66% since the start of 2006). We have cut costs where possible (retired one server) and therefore we haven't hit that buffer yet, but this is the crunch year for us and we'll be eating into our reserves if things don't pick up. Once that happens The DVD Forums is on borrowed time.

There are three causes for this:

1. Affiliate conversions are down - clickthroughs are reasonably steady so we're getting the clicks, but people aren't buying.
2. There aren't as many huge bargains as there were
3. Ad blocking preventing things tracking properly and therefore the loss in sale attributed to us

Point 1 is the main concern for us - we're losing out affiliate sales due to people finding bargains and clicking on them on our site and then trying to reduce the overall price even further by going through cashback sites and the like. We want to maximise our potential income before we start looking at things such as charging for access - doing this would be totally against what we have tried to do with all of our sites.

We've relaxed the rules here as much as we legally can now and all we are asking is for people who use the forums to have a little respect and to try and give something back - we're not asking for money, we're not asking for you to use our affiliate links every time, but we would appreciate that where you can you support the service we provide to you.

The only reason we try to bring in as much cash as possible is to fund the Forums - it's really that simple. This isn't some huge money-making scam and it isn't something that would ever let any of us live in luxury.
Old 16-04-2008, 20:35   #35
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

So, are we allowed to request for vouchers?

I'm looking for some Dell ones.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 20:49   #36
Jim989
GoldMember

I try to post bargains I find, although lately there is not many true bargains about Most of the stuff I have found are only in the stores.

Anyway... my BIGGEST problem is that links are not automatically affiliated! Is there not a way to setup this place so when someone just types Argos it sets that up as argos?

Then apply that to every forum and not just the bargain forum. This would be inline with other places.
Jim989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 22:31   #37
Guest 3656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
All posts made within the Bargain Forum must adhere to the following rules. Anybody failing to follow these rules will be subject to a warning, forum or site-wide suspension or in the worst case a permanent site-ban.

8. The Bargain Forum is not for requesting bargains. Any such questions should be posted in the Suppliers and Shopping Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
any ebuyer vouchers/codes around ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono View Post

Old 16-04-2008, 22:51   #38
gregh
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono View Post

That's a good point IMHO, how about a "requested bargains" forum????
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 22:53   #39
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
That's a good point IMHO, how about a "requested bargains" forum????
Click Me.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 22:53   #40
Guest 51105

Thats what the Suppliers and Shopping forum is for.