Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 21:10   #1
eye__writ
Trusted User

Widows (2018)

Steve McQueen's new film is out and I liked it a lot more than his others.

It's maybe not quite as good as the reviews have gushed about it, but then it's also in another stratosphere to Ocean's 8.

In fact it's mostly terrific, with super strong performances throughout (even from Liam "Wolf Puncher" Neeson) and characters who change and grow over the course of events.

The relationships are believable and the motives of everyone involved are not only painfully, and at time tragically clear, but they're believable and layered.

I guessed some of the plot twists early on, but it didn't spoil things, and I'd wager there's enough of a balance between the character driven heart and the violent/unforgiving world those characters are dropped into to please most tastes, although it is much more the former than the latter than I'd expected.

Overall I'd strongly recommend it as both an entertaining cinematic experience and also the kind of message-driven piece that you would surely expect from the director.

I could've done without the harpies in my screening cheering and whooping at a certain point though. It wasn't supposed to be a celebratory moment and the reaction ruined the weight of things slightly, but that's hardly the movie's fault.

The trailer isn't particular spoilerific, but I'm glad I didn't watch it before the film.

Last edited by eye__writ; 09-11-2018 at 23:22.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
ROne (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 22:01   #2
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
Steve McQueen's new film is out and I liked it a lot more than his others.

It's maybe not quite as good as the reviews have gushed about it, but then it's also in another stratosphere to Ocean's 8.

In fact it's mostly terrific, with super strong performances throughout (even from Liam "Wolf Puncher" Neeson) and characters who change and grow over the course of events.

The relationships are believable and the motives of everyone involved are not only painfully, and at time tragically clear, but they're believable and layered.

I guessed some of the plot twists early on, but it didn't spoil things, and I'd wager there's enough of a balance between the character driver heart and the violent/unforgiving world those characters are dropped into to please most tastes, although it is much more the former than the latter than I'd expected.

Overall I'd strongly recommend it as both an entertaining cinematic experience and also the kind of message-driven piece that you would surely expect from the director.

I could've done without the harpies in my screening cheering and whooping at a certain point though. It wasn't supposed to be a celebratory moment and the reaction ruined the weight of things slightly, but that's hardly the movie's fault.

The trailer isn't particular spoilerific, but I'm glad I didn't watch it before the film.
Does Jon Bernthal get the $£"% kicked out of him or killed in this?
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 22:06   #3
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Does Jon Bernthal get the $£"% kicked out of him or killed in this?
Old 09-11-2018, 22:20   #4
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
I don't know why he got the job as the Punisher outside of that role he gets killed or beaten more often that Sean Bean
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:47   #5
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Coming from the director Steve McQueen and writer Gillian Flynn (via Lynda La Plante, albeit indirectly), I think my expectations for this were quite high. Possibly too high.

Widows has some exquisitely well put together sequences and an interesting premise but it's also extremely by-the-numbers and feels like nothing we haven't all seen before, with characters so flat that they gave me a craving for pancakes.

Elizabeth Debicki and Michelle Rodriguez come out on top in terms of performances, both giving their roles some meaning. Very happy to see Cynthia Erivo so soon after Bad Times at the El Royale, too. But I was quite surprised at just how poor Viola Davis was here (especially given that I know what an extraordinarily good actress she is), but the constant grimace on her face only reminded me of her similarly dour part in Suicide Squad.

There's some unintentional comedy from Robert Duvall of all people, who doesn't seem to quite know what to do with the script he was given.

The film has some stunningly violent moments which are realised in a highly impressive manner and

Widows is still a gripping and enjoyable ride, but I think it could have been a far more engaging experience and could have benefited from a tighter script with more life.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 23:59   #6
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

The real question is ... is it better or worse than the ITV original series ??
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote