Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2005, 16:42   #1
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

How to build a website which allows others to build a site ?

kinda an online editor where users drag n drop stuff onto a page and when they finished and saved it, the page will be hosted by my site.

Only needs to be simple, just edit stuff liek background colour, add images and text.

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 07-10-2005 at 16:42.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 21:26   #2
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,509 Times in 475 Posts
Not exactly what you're after, but HTMLArea is a free HTML editor control. Its very 'word processor' like, so you can type text, then make it bigger, add pics, etc. It then generates the HTML.

You'd have to create the 'backend' which stored this HTML but that wouldn't be that difficult.

http://www.dynarch.com/projects/htmlarea/
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 00:50   #3
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

yeah i was looking for something where someone without knowledge of html could make a page.

thanks anyway.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:21   #4
edwinrgarland
Trusted User

Have you looked into Mambo

Not sure how easy it is to set up but it enables the user just to "type the content" as they would in any other application and the page will convert the typed content into html.

Hope this helps

ED
edwinrgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:43   #5
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
yeah i was looking for something where someone without knowledge of html could make a page.
Well, thats the point - by using a WYSIWYG stylee editor, *that* generates the HTML (which is what you need to store and end up with). As far as the user is concerned, they type the text, highlight it, and make it blue, then make it 18 point, etc. They don't need HTML (although you can).

The only downside, is that its not easy to set a background colour - apart from that, it does what you want. If you want an example of how it works, its integrated into the Exponent CMS management system. I've got that on my test site - can set up a page to show you.

Are you after something where people create their own 'websites', or as edwinrgarland suggests, a CMS (content management system). The trouble with a CMS is that they are usually built around the same template, so each page will look the same (to fit in with the rest of the site).

From your original post, I thought you were after a system where you'd let people create entirely their own page, ala advertising space.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:16   #6
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Yep you was right, Im after a system which allows people create their own page. Its basically a community page where users can register and post their artwork, but it allows them to design the layout of their own page.

This is just an idea, im quite new to web design. I just thought it up as something to get me going but i guess it may be a little too ambitious for me.

But if you could set up an example, id really apprciate it
Old 08-10-2005, 11:12   #7
Dean[SAS]
Trusted User

I wrote a CMS like this for my final year project at uni.

http://www.ritchiebrothers.co.uk/hayden/cms/

login with admin/admin

If you alter the template to a simpler one (from the 'Global Site Settings' at the bottom, once logged in), you can change the colours etc.

Last edited by Dean[SAS]; 08-10-2005 at 11:13.
Dean[SAS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49   #8
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean[SAS]
I wrote a CMS like this for my final year project at uni.

http://www.ritchiebrothers.co.uk/hayden/cms/

login with admin/admin

If you alter the template to a simpler one (from the 'Global Site Settings' at the bottom, once logged in), you can change the colours etc.
Thats really cool ! thats kinda what i want.

How did you develop that site ?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:01   #9
Dean[SAS]
Trusted User

Quote:
Thats really cool ! thats kinda what i want.

How did you develop that site ?
It's done in PHP/MySQL, it's got its own installer - installs in about 10 seconds.
There is some stuff that would need fixing if it went out into the 'real world'.
New plugins and themes can easily be created by someone with a bit of HTML knowledge - but not for newbies
Old 08-10-2005, 12:09   #10
maddogsuk

Another CMS that uses a WYSIWYG that allows different access logins, page creating, form creation, image uploaded etc is Easysite. I installed it for the local Working Mens club and they update all thier own content, styles etc. Well worth the Ł2.50 it costs.
maddogsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:57   #11
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean[SAS]
It's done in PHP/MySQL, it's got its own installer - installs in about 10 seconds.
There is some stuff that would need fixing if it went out into the 'real world'.
New plugins and themes can easily be created by someone with a bit of HTML knowledge - but not for newbies
Wanna pass the source code this way ? Dont worry i wont use it. Its just im learning php/mysql as well and i just want to know how it works. If not, do you know any websites which discuss this kind of thing - tutorials, CMS design etc?
Old 08-10-2005, 13:06   #12
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

There are squillions of free CMS's out there - are you sure you want to reinvent the wheel, KeyserSoze?
As mentioned above, a lot of CMS's will only allow you to change the content - the theme around the page will be the same across them all. I'm not sure you want a CMS (I thought you wanted it so each person could create their own page?)

If you do want a CMS, check http://www.opensourcecms.com/ - they let you play with them on their site.
I recommend Exponent CMS - thats the one with the integrated editor I mentioned above. Each page really will look the same though, and creating templates with that CMS is a bit hard going. The results are worth it though.

I've only been learning php myself for a couple of months, and have accumilated a fair few .chm and .pdf files (learning books, tutorials etc). I'll gladly lob them your way if you'd like.

Last edited by Chris Locke; 08-10-2005 at 13:07.
Old 08-10-2005, 14:01   #13
Dean[SAS]
Trusted User

Quote:
Wanna pass the source code this way ? Dont worry i wont use it. Its just im learning php/mysql as well and i just want to know how it works. If not, do you know any websites which discuss this kind of thing - tutorials, CMS design etc?
You got mail. Techinally the sourcecode is (C) Leeds Met Uni - but like i care now
Old 08-10-2005, 14:14   #14
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Cheers Dean !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke
There are squillions of free CMS's out there - are you sure you want to reinvent the wheel, KeyserSoze?
As mentioned above, a lot of CMS's will only allow you to change the content - the theme around the page will be the same across them all. I'm not sure you want a CMS (I thought you wanted it so each person could create their own page?)

If you do want a CMS, check http://www.opensourcecms.com/ - they let you play with them on their site.
I recommend Exponent CMS - thats the one with the integrated editor I mentioned above. Each page really will look the same though, and creating templates with that CMS is a bit hard going. The results are worth it though.

I've only been learning php myself for a couple of months, and have accumilated a fair few .chm and .pdf files (learning books, tutorials etc). I'll gladly lob them your way if you'd like.
I will probably end up using one of these many CMS packages for my site. But learning how to program a CMS, well thats just another separate personal project, mostly for practice more than anything else. Thats why i wanted Deans source code. Cos as i said, im learning PHP/MySQL but never really had anything to practice it on. And since many php jobs want you to have some kind of CMS develop skills i thought id learn the fundementals.

But id be really interested in those tutorial files. Cheers Chris !

But why we on the subject of learning php. Other than a CMS system what else could i make ? maybe something more simple to start out on - shopping cart system ?
Old 08-10-2005, 15:27   #15
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

My first project was my Google Earth location database - seems to work quite well. Used two 'technologies' I was interested in - uploading files and database work. The second was a file uploader, similar to ImageShack - I use it in anger here for screenshots. I wanted something (advert free) to create thumbnails of pictures. The third (using the same uploader and a database backend) was an online photo gallery (I used Coppermine, but that didn't do what I wanted). I'm just in the process of re-writing the Google database now.
Databases are the easiest to get into - php works very well with mySQL and its quite speedy, too.
I'm just digging up some more tutorials on how to build proper applications using php - my Google Earth database is using a load of includes and horrible calls to functions, which I'm sure isn't the right way to do things... (which is why I'm rewriting it...)
Always start off with something simple and manageable ... also something that you'd use. I thought of creating an online bookmark database to share / store handy URLs - thats next when I've played around with sessions and 'logging in'.

Last edited by Chris Locke; 08-10-2005 at 15:32.
Old 08-10-2005, 22:47   #16
Dean[SAS]
Trusted User

The way i learn programming, especially PHP/MySQL is to throw myself in the deep end. My first project was an Online DVD rental site - fully working with rental queues and lending out (http://www.ritchiebrothers.co.uk/hayden/). I'd not done PHP before and hated databases - but I read a basic tutorial and started from there - whenever i got stook on something i didn't know, eg credit card validation, a quick google and you're sorted.

Look at other PHP scripts/sites, if there' something where you say "that's good, how did they do that?" - go find out how, replicate it, make it better

Last edited by Dean[SAS]; 08-10-2005 at 22:48.
Old 08-10-2005, 23:56   #17
Guest 35923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke
Could I be cheeky and ask for a me too please?
Old 09-10-2005, 00:05   #18
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Sure - drop me an email and I'll sort it out tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2005, 00:14   #19
Guest 35923

Thanks Chris, email sent.