Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 26-12-2018, 15:34   #2141
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Terminator: Salvation BD, well the fans got both what they wanted and what they didn't all in one package. Fans had been clamouring for a future wars type scenario since we saw the battlefield full of terminators in T2. Well we didn't get that but we got an instalment set in the future. John "Batman" Connor appears less the prophesied one here than The Terminator or T2 predicted; more of a grunt than the fabled leader, yet it seems a lot of the major war stuff that was supposed to make him this great leader has happened before we got here. There is a resistance and quite a few military units on the go but seem to have their own leadership in Michael Ironside who appears to tolerate Connor rather than being a true believer. Sam "Forgettable" Worthington how he gets these roles is impressive and would make a good movie in itself. Is a human/cyborg hybrid i.e. it does not know its a cyborg who leads Connor on a trail to find Connor's father before the machines kill him. Machines fail again; which makes you think why not just keep going back and trying after his mother or his grandparents.

Weakest of the 4 so far.

1.5/5

Terminator: Genesys BD; Lets start out by getting it out there that I liked this; not all of it but a lot of it. Some great set pieces and I like the idea of a convoluted timeline being corrupted and things that shouldn't be in the 1980's are.

But, a lot of stuff has happened to the timeline before Jai Courtney (who is not actually that bad here) arrives in 1984. Those events would have made a more interesting movie.

Some age gags thrown in and a potential for a sequel which we'll never see. Emilia Clarke is tolerable but still think we needed someone with better acting skills. Lena Headey should have been offered whatever she wants along with Summer Glau and Thomas Dekker

3.5/5

The Car DVD, After Duel we had the car which unlike Christine that came later feels more like Jaws on land. James Brolin and Ronny Cox are the deputies trying their best to kill it. Supernatural overtones surround why this car is the way it is but are not fully explored. Ending leaves it open for a possible sequel which we never got.

Silly fun

3/5

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 11-01-2019 at 19:09.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 19:48   #2142
douglasb
Suedehead.

Mary Poppins Returns is great.

#review
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 12:44   #2143
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Rampage NOW TV, I think the Rock is acting in a different movie quite an earnest performance. The complete opposite can be said for Jeffery Dean Morgan's effort. The less said about the live action version of Team Rocket the better.

Not a bad film, with better bad guys could have been much better.

2.5/5

The Bedford Incident DVD, old time cold-war at sea thriller, Richard Widmark could really go from scary to nice quite easily in the same scene. He'd would have made an interesting "Joker". As captain he runs a tight ship the crew of which seem to respect hi; but he can be hard at times. Constant running a general quaters gives the crew little chance to relax even though they are not at war he acts like it they are. As the crew hunt for a sub against N.A.T.O orders tensions reach breaking point until one sailor makes a catatrophic mistake. Widmark's character is given little backstory and no reason for acting they way he does so its left up to the viewer to decide. The crew of the sub they are chasing are never shown.

4/5

Riddick BluRay The third entry not counting the animation; goes back to basics gone are the grand Dune type setpieces of the Chronicles Of Riddick. And the movie is better for it; a slight retread of the first but the people trapped with him are not helpless colonists. Some nice effects

Still waiting on Riddick 4; we have had 7 movies since this with a couple of duds, not sure why he is rationing his Riddick

4/5
Old 11-01-2019, 16:50   #2144
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Suddenly Frank Sinatra as an Assassin, his plan to assassinate the President when he travels through the town of Suddenly. Low budget, little backstory is given as to why and who is ordering the hit. What it does identify is the futility of it all as Sinatra puts it; 5 minutes after he is dead they'll swear in another one.

Escape Plan Stallone and Schwarzenegger together again and its not a bad story as Stallone is a Prison escape expert.

Godzilla - The Planet Eater Crikey as the movies go on the talking percentage to Godzilla being shown increases. Now its almost 80% talking. This is the worst of the three and a totally unsatisfying ending.
Old 11-01-2019, 18:48   #2145
shteve
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Terminator: Salvation BD, well the fans got both what they wanted and what they didn't all in one package. Fans had beem glamoring for a future wars type scenario since we saw the battlefield full of terminators in T2. Well we didn't get that but we got an installment set in the future. John "Batman" Connor appears less the prophesied one here than The Terminator or T2 predicicted; more of a grunt than the fabled leader, yet it seems alot of the major war stuff that was supposed to make him this great leader has happened before we got here. There is a resistance and quite a few military units on the go but seem to have their own leadership in Michael Ironside who appears to tolerate Connor rather than being a true believer. Sam "Forgettable" Worthington how he gets these roles is impressive and would make a good movie in itself. Is a human/cyborg hybrid i.e. it does not know its a cyborg who leads Connor on a trail to find Connor's father before the machines kill him. Machines fail again; which makes you think why not just keep going back and trying after his mother or his grandparents.

Weakest of the 4 so far.

1.5/5

Terminator: Genesys BD; Lets start out by getting it out there that I liked this not all of it but alot of it. Some great set pieces and I like the idea of a convoluted timeline being corrupted and things that shouldn't be in the 1980's are.

But, alot of stuff has happened to the timeline before Jai Courtney (who is not actually that bad here) arrives in 1984. Those events would have made a more interesting movie.

Some age gags thrown in and a potential for a sequel which we'll never see. Emilia Clarke is tolerable but still think we needed someone with better acting skills. Lena Headey should have been offered whatever she wants along with Summer Glau and Thomas Dekker

3.5/5

The Car DVD, After Duel we had the car which unlike Christine that came later feels more like Jaws on land. James Brolin and Ronny Cox are the deputies trying their best to kill it. Supernatural overtones surround why this car is the way it is but are not fully explored. Ending leaves it open for a possible sequel which we never got.

Silly fun

3/5

You say alot a lot. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Spaceranger2001 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 20:21   #2146
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
You say alot a lot. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Это должен быть медленный день для вас.

Тебе лучше поговорить с моим старым учителем английского, Полом Дэниелсом.

В любом случае, английский мертв, мы все должны учить русский

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 11-01-2019 at 20:23.
Old 11-01-2019, 20:33   #2147
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,479 Times in 454 Posts
Прямо на товарища
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:14   #2148
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

The spy dumped me

passable film but Kate McKinnon is just painful in every scene. Mila is just Mila from nearly every other film she has done it seems

How to talk to girls at parties

some 70's punks meets this american cult, not as funny and clever as thinks it is. No doubt the writer was smelling his own farts as he penned the script

Antman and the wasp

I like the fact antman films are not these world ending stories, with everything at stake. Its fun and light
Old 12-01-2019, 11:42   #2149
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post

Silly fun

3/5
Well, you asked for it:

aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 11:38   #2150
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

2036 Origin Unknown NOW TV, a new movie every day; but what they fail to mention is it’s usually a piece a rubbish with the best ones at the weekend. This fits into the former category. Katee Sackoff should be able to get better than this, straight to VOD rubbish. Cheap looking effects and a story so poor it wouldn't look out of place in an episode of Doctor Who.

0/5

3 Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri NOW TV, difficult to rate this one, thanks to all the hype I thought it was going to be as good as In Bruges. It isn't; way over the top performance by Sam Rockwell, not sure it if was supposed to be funny or merely to justify what he goes through later on but what he did he should have been arrested and jailed for but he wasn't. Woody Harrelson is the best in this; nice to see him move away from the crazy types he plays so well.

3/5

Dr No BD, Connery's first go at 007 and not a bad go either although he perfected it by From Russia with Love came along. Sometimes his delivery seems a bit for want of better words to quick, especially in the scenes where he is interviewing Strangways friends. When he slows it down as he does later on he's more like the 007 we'll come to know.

4/5
Old 04-02-2019, 21:51   #2151
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

The predator
What a dumpster fire of a film, its like a 5 year old made a film. It makes all the other films look like oscar wining material even AVP

A simple favour
Quite liked it despite Paul feig involvement but the tone is all over the place. Anna and blake are the best actors in this. the kid actors are annoying

The Meg
Its pretty bad even for b movie shark film but better than The predator
Old 05-02-2019, 07:52   #2152
dvdphile
Early Adopter

Bohemian Rhaposdy - Fabulous! I loved it. The music, the acting, the humour! Excellent!

A Star is Born - Also, very good! Great acting and music. Bit of a tear jerker though!

Aquaman - Oh dear! I was hoping for more but sadly got what I was expecting! Awful!
dvdphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:46   #2153
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

I went on a nostalgic bend last week.

1. The In-Laws: Saw it on my old Warner DVD for the 5th time. Enjoyed every minute of it as before. Peter Falk is brilliant and Alan Arkin almost just as good. 8/10

2. Midnight Run: Saw my recently purchased BD. Another great buddy film with superb turnout from Charles Grodin as the "White Collar Criminal". 7.5/10

3. World On A Wire: Criterion BD. I still have not got my head around all aspects of this Fassbinder classic but it is a visual treat and somehow memorable. I need to watch it a few times more. 8/10
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
dvdphile (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 21:07   #2154
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Been going through the Bond movies.

From Russia With Love All the usual trademarks are here, the pre credit teaser the opening theme that accompanies the gun barrel sequence, the gadgets. Connery seemed much more settled in the role with a decent story perfect for the Cold War era. SPECTRE is involved again which would seem to be one of the main problems with the Connery era; they were overused.

Goldfinger Third time at bat and the accent is more Scottish but Connery is even more Bond than before. Gadgets becoming more grandious, the villian working on his own (not confirmed if he is attached to SPECTRE) has an over the top plan; which is something the Moore era would adopt (Individual villians with their own agendas even though the agendas were usually the same)

Thunderball SPECTRE is at it again and I must confess I think this is the slowest of the Bond movies, it really drags with the underwater stuff. Gadgets were becoming a bit OTT, the jetpack itself opens up plotholes of its own when a rope would have sufficed.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:13   #2155
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

More Bond please

You Only Live Twice SPECTRE again but this time Blofeld is given a face. A decent story runs at quite a pace and some great fight sequences and of course the set design. But you can see Connery was tired of it all and its just not the same as his previous efforts.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service Lazenby's one and only crack at the 007 role and its a real shame because you could see things here that would not be picked up again until Dalton took over. Quite a long movie with a bit of pause between the action. More overuse of Blofeld who seems to be working one his own without SPECTRE. And don't mention the major plothole caused by filming the books out of order.

Diamonds Are Forever Connery's back! but really he should have stayed away, compared to when he came back for Never Say Never Again he really does appear to be phoning it in. And they used Blofeld again!!! in a plan that seems really sub-par compared to his previous schemes. The campness was just not suited to the Connery style bond, had Roger Moore done this one it might have been better.
Old 11-02-2019, 16:39   #2156
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Alita: Battle Angel
Really enjoyed it, it has some rough bits. cgi can be bad at times but its overall good. Alita is very likeable.

Mile 22
Deserves the mediocre reviews, its action packed but its not done well, chaotic mess is good description of the film

Not sure if this one counts as didn't really watch the end Bad times at the El Royale A friend's gf got it because of one of the hemsworth is in it The film is long and dragged out and the characters stories are not interesting, it wishes it was Tarantino film but lacks the style of his film

Venom
After 30 minutes it got going and there was some good stuff but the ending was just a mess of cgi fighting. Not as bad as it could of been
Old 11-02-2019, 18:39   #2157
dvdphile
Early Adopter

Not sure if this one counts as didn't really watch the end Bad times at the El Royale A friend's gf got it because of one of the hemsworth is in it The film is long and dragged out and the characters stories are not interesting, it wishes it was Tarantino film but lacks the style of his film.

I loved this film!
You HAVE to see the ending though! The whole film is made clear by the ending!
I’m afraid you just have to watch all of it and then maybe you’ll have a different opinion about it!
dvdphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 21:59   #2158
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Gave the bond films a pause before going into the Moore era

Mission Impossible The first and most like the TV series of old for me, granted it evolves into the Ethan Hunt show and that twist is a major kick in the nuts for fans of the TV show but its still a cracking solid piece of entertainment. Some great effects that still hold up today the techno speak about the computers Ving Rhames wants "Thinking Machine laptops, I’m talking about the 686 prototypes … with the artificial intelligence Risk chip" just wtf. Plus the internet in 1996 was never that fast took a few minutes just to log on. I would like to know why we never find out what happened to the rat in the air conditioning pipe above the vault.
4/5

M:I 2 Crikey how did the manage it a story by Ronald D Moore of BSG and a screenplay by Robert Towne of Chinatown fame could turn out so bad. Its only thanks to this overrunning that we got Jackman as Wolverine. That aside this movie should of been better and I am grateful it didn't kill the franchise dead. Didn't like the choice of soundtrack either on this which is a shame as its by Hans Zimmer but this Face/Off, Broken Arrow and The Rock are just not good compared to his later work even just a few year later. John Woo's trademarks the slooooow mo and the doves the bloody doves shoot outs and fighting does not work here its just not mission impossible now a Statham movie like the Transporter films might have suited this style more.
He was totally the wrong choice for this.

1.5/5

Mission Impossible 3 Back on track with the king of the copycat directors JJ Abrams. The music, the setups and having a team everything spot on. Except. Love interest McGuffin not enough Maggie Q and yet another rogue agent thats three times now its now wonder Alec Baldwin will call for it to be disbanded in M:I 5. Not so much the Ethan Hunt show as M:I 2 and a bad guy who is a bit more menacing than Dougray Scott.

3/5

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 17-02-2019 at 12:16.
Old 17-02-2019, 12:16   #2159
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Mission Impossible 4 BD, felt more like the first movie and TV series than it predecessors, a real team effort vs the Ethan Hunt show. Still do not like the Simon Pegg character, doing mostly Ving Rhames stuff with some forced humor thrown in. Having their technology fail at critical moment for comic effect was used once to often.

Nice that it sets up at the end part five.

4.5/5

Mission Impossible 5 BD, Its the Ethan and Benji show this time but that aside it way above parts 2 and 3 in the terms of a cracking story. Some great motorcycle stuff and stunts galore with a few ropey CGI at times. Nice to see Benji's forced humor is cut backa bit but he is supposed to be a field agent yet screams like a girl when hunt is driving them about.

4.5/5

Mission Impossible 6 BD, Sad to say that I found this was bit overlong near the end a good trimming of 15 mins would have helped

Cruise still has it even when going up against Cavill the restroom fight was very well staged.

Pegg was not too annoying in this and I am glad to see that his character has evolved.

Nice reference to the first movie. Shame that the wife stuff was abandoned makes the 3rd movie's reliance on it even more daft.

Not as good as parts 4-5 story wise.

4/5

Overall ranking

1st MI 4, 5
2nd MI 1, 6
3rd MI 3
4th MI 2
Old 21-02-2019, 20:37   #2160
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Spiderman: into the spiderverse
Great film, one thing it goes from very stylish movie to super kiddy. Saw it at the cinema today and the little kids got really upset at the certain scenes despite not being violent. I thought if they got rid of
it would be a better film

Blackkklansman
Enjoyed it, don't normally like adam driver but he is excellent in this and so is John David Washington. The parallels to then and what happened in 2017 is horrible

Mandy
Red letter media liked it but its awful, it looks good at times but takes ages to get going but the revenge bit is over so quick. Nic cage is just his normal self