Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 24-10-2018, 12:32   #181
Taq
Evil Scientist

I'm not sure really! A bit of both I think, although I do see them trickling in off the back of free promos.
Some of the ones I did in review clubs in the early days got deleted, so I don't think I'll bother doing that again as I ended up spending time reading books I wouldn't have chosen to read. Goodreads, on the other hand, don't delete anything.

I use Amazon ads but I don't really sell anything from them (or spend that much, so from that point of view it's fine). I even bought KDPRocket to help generate targeting lists, but that did sod all so far. More money pee'd down the sink...
Old 24-10-2018, 12:39   #182
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,108 Times in 787 Posts
Wow 40 reviews is a great achievement, obviously people are reading it! Need to cash in with a sequel
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 19:57   #183
Taq
Evil Scientist

So, after a hiatus I'm back working on the sequel to IVL. 54,000 words down, unknown number to go! (then months of editing hell).
Old 09-12-2018, 20:09   #184
Rob
Indie Author

Good to hear.

I always look forward to the edit, but it does quickly become annoying.
Old 09-12-2018, 20:17   #185
Taq
Evil Scientist

Being stuck in Copenhagen airport for 6+ hrs the other day certainly helped
When the staff of Pret start stacking up chairs all around you, you know it's time to sit somewhere else...
Old 10-12-2018, 06:50   #186
Rob
Indie Author

What's Copenhagen like? We've got a family trip booked there next summer for my wife's 50th.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:09   #187
Taq
Evil Scientist

I was only there for overnight and one day as I had a lecture to give, so I didn't really get to see much of it (plus the weather was freezing cold and wet), but what I did see looked nice.
We went to a restaurant called 'Gorilla' in the old meat packing district, which was very trendy and Masterchef-y, it you're into that kind of thing (I'm not, but it was interesting!).
Old 10-12-2018, 12:01   #188
Rob
Indie Author

No, I'm not into poncy restaurants at all - the kids even less so!
Old 27-12-2018, 08:55   #189
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Any thoughts on how to get the word out in America? Managed to get the wife's new Christmas Novella to No.1 in Sagas, which wasn't easy it looked like it'd never overtake "ploughed by a cowboy in a barn" or that was the gist of the book anyway, but managed it after 3 days. I was actually well impressed as managed to overtake a number of bestselling authors on the way.

It has been consistently in the top 100, mid 30's in Romance.

Link to book

But it languishes at about 2000 in the USA, 43 in sagas.

Christmas seemed a good time to do a promotion btw, I guess a number of people got a kindle at Christmas and just went through the free stuff.

However 600+ downloads seems to have generated a few page reads of the other books and one sale.
Old 27-12-2018, 13:16   #190
Taq
Evil Scientist

Sounds good!
Old 28-12-2018, 07:49   #191
Rob
Indie Author

Went better than my promo then - spent £25 when offering for 0.99 and got 1 sale! Thin I'll stick to the free option in future.

If you are consistently in the top 100 we should be coming to you for advice!
Old 28-12-2018, 08:49   #192
Taq
Evil Scientist

"ploughed by a cowboy in a barn" sounds intriguing...

Quote:
Went better than my promo then - spent £25 when offering for 0.99 and got 1 sale! Thin I'll stick to the free option in future.
I feel your pain - hate it when that happens. I can be disappointed for free, no need to pay other people for the pleasure.
Old 28-12-2018, 10:30   #193
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

it's not called that, now my wife's book is off promo, I can tell you it was this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thompson-So...rds=rocky+ride

She was a long way behind it for a while, then she spent most of the last couple of days at number 1 spot!

£10 of facebook advertising (we spent a fiver) got 90 downloads in America.

I'm basically taking the books written so far as loss leaders, we did a freebie for the first book a while ago and didn't do much advertising and it got a few free downloads, being in the charts I think helped and HUKD thread helped a fair bit I think.

I think the cover for the Christmas one was £5, we'll probably make that back for kindle unlimited people reading it and starting the others.

Just can't seem to get any reviews.
Old 17-01-2019, 20:34   #194
Rob
Indie Author

Taq - just saw your post about BGS Authors Amazon ads.
First of all, why do you need to change the title for Jack Gilmour? I think it's pretty good.
Secondly, what's the deal with BGS Amazon ads - how much does it cost and what are they offering?
Old 17-01-2019, 20:40   #195
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Sorry, what are BGS AA ads?

Where was the post
Old 17-01-2019, 21:32   #196
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Sorry, what are BGS AA ads?

Where was the post
BGS = Books Go Social - it's an author help/promotion group that has various Facebook groups. The post I'm talking about is on the Authors Group page.

I've joined a few of the groups and got some reviews that way (kind of a round robin thing because obviously review swaps are a no no). They also offer other services - Group NetGalley membership and now Amazon adverts.
Old 18-01-2019, 07:10   #197
Taq
Evil Scientist

For the title BGS suggested a change Since I'm going through them for ads, if I don't change it and the ads fail, then they can come back to me with that being the problem.
I can always change it back if it doesn't work

I've tried Amazon ads before and the issue I've found is that I just don't shift any volume due to a lack of clicks. I don't tend to lose money, but last time after 1 month and 5 different ads, I'd spent about $5 and made about $6.
BGS aim to sell about 3-5 per day, so we'll see how that goes.
I'm giving them $50 a month for ads, and they're charging $75 a month fee so I'll need to sell about 50 copies a month to make that back (hence the price increase last week). I've signed up for 2 months,.

It's a gamble and we'll see how it goes, but it's my last attempt at marketing for a while if it fails.
Old 18-01-2019, 07:11   #198
Taq
Evil Scientist

Thanks for title suggestion, by the way! It's great!
Old 18-01-2019, 12:10   #199
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Thanks for title suggestion, by the way! It's great!
No problem - feel free to use it, or not!
I quite liked some of the suggestions others had posted - e.g. "Devil in the detail", but could see where you were coming from with making sure potential readers realised that Jack was on the good side.

Spending $5 and making $6 sounds good to me! Everything I've tried so far makes a loss. I don't mind making a loss if it leads to a few sales somewhere down the line. I read some of the comments on BGS about having to be open to changing covers/titles etc and decided it wasn't for me, but I'll still be interested to see how you get on.

With Book #2 two weeks away, I'm currently giving my short story away free - with no adverts other than social media, I've had 11 downloads so far. Next month, I have secured a slot with ereader news today - $40 for 3 day free download of Monkey Arkwright. They seem to be one of the bigger hitters in the bracket under the all-conquering Bookbub, so I'm hopeful of getting a good number of downloads. The plan is to keep giving away Book #1 and short story to get some readers interested in the series.
Old 18-01-2019, 12:57   #200
Taq
Evil Scientist

I've used ENT before for freebies and they are pretty good, although as I tend to use them at the same time as Book Barbarian I'm never sure how good Never had a 99p promotion work with anything, though. I think there's just too many books out there now.
I've used BGS before for their Twitter spamming service and wasn't impressed at all, but their NetGalley one got me a decent set of reviews a few months back. It can be quite variable, but I got a download:review ratio of about 10%, which is much better than the 0.5% I usually get from free promos. If you're thinking about using it, wait until they have an offer though

For the Amazon ads, it's getting people to click and then getting them to buy. Judging by my results so far, I have no idea how to do the first, and part of the fee is BGS making all the ads up.

Last edited by Taq; 18-01-2019 at 12:58.
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote