Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Board Games Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 13:23   #21
ji
Just another member

Ticket to ride is actually pretty easy.

For a leftfield suggestion, Amazon currently have the DropMix bundle really cheap - a card game that plays music, syncing various genres together to make new tracks. I have ordered it for our family this Christmas
Old 08-12-2018, 14:39   #22
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,494 Times in 992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji View Post
Ticket to ride is actually pretty easy.

For a leftfield suggestion, Amazon currently have the DropMix bundle really cheap - a card game that plays music, syncing various genres together to make new tracks. I have ordered it for our family this Christmas
They have Ticket to Ride Junior edition.

Dropmix is interesting. I was aware of the deals but hadn't considered it. I think the main problem as a gift for these specific children is they don't have phones and on top of that I think you'd need a speaker as well for it to not sound terrible.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 16:30   #23
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

If you’re looking for a games they can play together, then go for Dobble and Jungle Speed.

And maybe, as it’s an excellent party game, Cash ‘N Guns.

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 13-12-2018 at 16:42.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 13:32   #24
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,494 Times in 992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
If you’re looking for a games they can play together, then go for Dobble and Jungle Speed.
This came a little late but Jungle Speed is on the shortlist for future birthdays/xmas. It looks perfect for the youngest. On the flip side the Safari version looks like kids would love it while some adults (me!) would hate it. Dobble we already have.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Now I've had time to play each game a few times at least with the kids I thought it'd be nice to give you an update on the games I went for...

Kingdomino - Gifted to my nephew for his 8th Birthday.

I think it's a great game and have enjoyed playing it both in 2 player and with 3 or 4. It's easy to teach / learn and everyone I've played with seems to enjoy it including my nephew who took to it very quickly. He likes the art and tries to match based on that which conveniently works to his benefit. My niece also seems to enjoy it if she plays alongside someone.

Sushi Go Party - Gifted to my nephew for Xmas.

Again I think this is great and have enjoyed playing it with family. The different card options in the Party version give plenty of variation, though so far I've only tried two sets.

It's a little harder to teach but not too bad, and there's a lot more setup involved (this is specific to the Party version - the standard should be faster).

My nephew seemed to grasp it pretty quickly actually and I think he likes it but unlike Kingdomino he hasn't been wanting to play multiple times in a row (on the two occasions I've had the opportunity to play).

Side note: Plenty of maths in both games which is good for him.

Magic Maze - Gifted to my nephew for Xmas.

This was a very late addition as I decided to keep Azul for myself. It's very different to everything else and I really enjoyed my test plays (2-players) although it turns out we were using the timer squares wrong and giving us much more time as a result.

Teaching it was quite tough - mostly because it's not turn-based which is hard for some to grasp - and playing with 5 people at one point was hectic and didn't go well in terms of completing the game according to the rules.

Subsequent plays have involved talking at my nephew's request. They've been quite fun and again I think he likes it. I'm hoping over time / with more experience it'll be more popular.

Rhino Hero - Gifted to my niece for Xmas.

Wow. This is the unexpected favourite I think. Incredibly easy to teach / learn and so quick to play. It's very good. Fun for all ages and my niece enjoys it (though she's at that age / has the personality where it's best not to play too aggressively to win - eg. making her skip a turn doesn't go down all that well).

Labyrinth - Gifted to my niece for Xmas.

I'm not a fan. So much so that I would have swapped it for something else if it was an option. I find it slow and boring as you're waiting on others to plan their moves or doing the same yourself, all the while knowing any plans can go right out the window on the next turn. More often than not you get out of a tough situation through sheer luck based on other player's turns and I now tend to just pick a row at random to move when I'm completely stuck.

The 'easy' version is slightly less annoying and the way it's been played with the kids. Both seem to like it but it's hard to say how much as so far it seems to have been unfortunate enough to be played just after a tantrum. I'm hoping they enjoy it more than I do at least!
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote