Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 29-08-2017, 18:07   #581
Taq
Evil Scientist

Don't think the cast of Big Bang Theory would get out of bed for a mere $500k an episode
Old 30-08-2017, 08:37   #582
avid fan
Trusted User

Good episode, but feel letdown for some reason. I guess in previous seasons it’s always led up to one MASSIVE action setpiece in the penultimate episode, but this seaon hasn’t had the buildup because the whole thing’s been so rushed, and instead we’ve had a few big but shorter action sequences. Nothing that would rival Battle of the Blackwater for example, when all the threads of the season were moving towards it.

The dragon was great, as was Jaime's scene (thought he would be the surprise goner), but I felt a little let down in how quickly the wall came down. However, they can’t avoid the stupid clumsy writing…2 glaring examples:

-Euron’s faked walkout etc….how on earth are they supposed to have conspired to form that plan before they’d even known anything about the living dead?

-The exposition about Jon…Bran sets out his parentage and then says he should be a surname of Sand and not Snow….Sam points out he saw a scroll about an annulment, so Bran does a quick rewind and corrects himself?!

-As for Theon…that whole scene…’Oh no, I’m kicking him but he’s got no balls…now the tables are turned!!’. If I was one of those other crewmen I think I’d be less enthusiastic about swapping captains.

On the whole, a season of rushed pace and great individual scenes, but very concerned that the plot seems to be hanging together by a thread in the scramble to tie everything up.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:02   #583
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,461 Times in 444 Posts
Re Jon - Bran knew he was Rhaegar/Lyanna's son so assumed he was merely a barsteward, born in Dorne and not the North, hence he was Sand not Snow. When he found out they had married in secret he updated that to say he was a Targaryen and in line to the throne.

The Euron thing bugged me too. Only way it could have been staged was that they planned for him to walk out at some point, given the earliest opportunity.

Last edited by The Bear; 30-08-2017 at 09:04.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:43   #584
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Re Jon - Bran knew he was Rhaegar/Lyanna's son so assumed he was merely a barsteward, born in Dorne and not the North, hence he was Sand not Snow. When he found out they had married in secret he updated that to say he was a Targaryen and in line to the throne.
I got that - just seemed very clumsy; isn't he supposed to be all knowing, all seeing etc?...half expected him to say "D'oh, my bad - seen it now"
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:54   #585
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
I got that - just seemed very clumsy; isn't he supposed to be all knowing, all seeing etc?...half expected him to say "D'oh, my bad - seen it now"
I don't think he knows everything, rather he has access to everything, if he chooses to look. He's like a Westerosi Google.

Quote:
The Euron thing bugged me too. Only way it could have been staged was that they planned for him to walk out at some point, given the earliest opportunity.
Yeah, it would have been better if he'd genuinely ****** off.

Regarding the Iron Bank and these mercenaries, it doesn't make sense for them to back Cersei any more. They have their money, so they have no vested interest in her. Why lend her more money to hire more dragon fodder? Better to back Daenerys, as she obviously has the stronger force. They said they always back the stronger side.
Old 30-08-2017, 12:21   #586
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Cercei has a better credit rating (seriously). She's already proved she can repay with interest. Danni has nothing like that.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 13:17   #587
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,064 Times in 757 Posts
Weren't they annoyed at Dani because of what she'd done to them in Slavers Bay? Would be glad to see her out of the picture all together.

I can see Euron getting stopped early on next series, they might not be able to swim but they've now got an undead dragon which I strongly doubt his ships have got any way of stopping.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 13:32   #588
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I was curious what the scene with Jamie looking at his hand and a spot of blood appearing was all about...
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 13:42   #589
JoePrecious
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
I was curious what the scene with Jamie looking at his hand and a spot of blood appearing was all about...
It was a melting snowflake. Presumably signifying that winter has arrived in King's Landing as well.
Old 30-08-2017, 20:48   #590
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,461 Times in 444 Posts
Also I think he took off his hand to hide it, so he wouldn't be so easily recognised on the road.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 08:46   #591
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
Cercei has a better credit rating (seriously). She's already proved she can repay with interest. Danni has nothing like that.
While that may be true, it's no good if you are dead. They may back Dany by not backing anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Weren't they annoyed at Dani because of what she'd done to them in Slavers Bay? Would be glad to see her out of the picture all together.
Braavos is a free city, founded in opposition of the masters, so I doubt they care about what she did in Slavers Bay. It might even warm them to her.

Quote:
Also I think he took off his hand to hide it, so he wouldn't be so easily recognised on the road.
I thought he just put a gloves on to hide it? But yes, he's travelling incognito, hence no Lannister colours either.

I expect Bronn to join up with him.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:59   #592
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Season 8 seems to have been delayed to 2019

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...-final-season/
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 18:20   #593
Taq
Evil Scientist

"We're just waiting for George to catch up"
Old 06-12-2018, 14:18   #594
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 1,950 Times in 818 Posts
Game of Thrones: 18 Secrets, Easter Eggs, and Revelations Hiding in 7 Seasons of Scripts
A cache of scripts from the show help clear up long-held questions—and blow several theories wide open.