Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 31-08-2018, 12:58   #181
Taq
Evil Scientist

I'm fortunate to have a job that gives me enough spare change to dabble with things - God knows how people who try and do this for a living cope!
Old 25-09-2018, 18:54   #182
Rob
Indie Author

Progress report - closing in on the end of Book #2

https://monkeyarkwright.wordpress.co...eptember-2018/
Old 26-10-2018, 18:46   #183
Rob
Indie Author

First draft of Book #2 in the bag. Now the editing …

https://monkeyarkwright.wordpress.co...-october-2018/
Old 26-10-2018, 21:08   #184
Taq
Evil Scientist

congrats!
Old 06-11-2018, 18:17   #185
Rob
Indie Author

Thanks for the tip on the cover design, Taq. I was so impressed with the design for upcoming book #2 that I got a new cover for "Monkey Arkwright". The result is here:

https://monkeyarkwright.wordpress.co...key-arkwright/
Old 06-11-2018, 18:29   #186
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,060 Times in 753 Posts
She really does good work, think she charged £4 for the latest one my wife needed and she ignored our idea and came up with her own which was loads better, but she'd have done it again.

All for £4!
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 18:47   #187
Rob
Indie Author

Can't fault her work. £11 for Book #2 (because I wanted two images), £5 for that one and I'm currently getting her to do a cover for my short story. Great heads up from Taq.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:18   #188
Taq
Evil Scientist

Like the new cover!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:37   #189
Rob
Indie Author

Cheers
Old 15-11-2018, 11:01   #190
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Very interesting read folks, I was wondering did any of you published authors use a established editor to give your book the final once over? I have a book that I have been writing for the best part of the last 20+ years on and off. Over the years it been rewritten and rewritten to the point that I think its the best I can make it. However I want someone with good editing skills to go over it and remove the drivel, suggest improvements and just give it a subjective opinion.

I know that is a pretty big job and probably very expensive but I think the end result would be pretty worth it.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 19:53   #191
Taq
Evil Scientist

I self-edited my first book, but my second one I used Karl Drinkwater to edit it. He's very reasonable cost-wise and gives good (although sometimes brutal so don't go in expecting an ego massage) feedback for both language use and story structure.
You can find him at : https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/ or https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/p/serv...r-writers.html but it sounds like he's taking a short break - still worth contacting though depending on the genre you're writing in.
Old 16-11-2018, 06:44   #192
Rob
Indie Author

I self-edited both my first and upcoming books. I say "self" - I've got my youngest daughter reading through them and I've said it before, but it's like having a human word processor - she spots just about everything.

Funny thing for an author to say but I'm close to being fed-up with my upcoming book! I'm on the second read-through to remove grammatical errors and sharpen up the text. Then I'll pass it over to my daughter for another read before doing another couple of reads myself. It can be quite exhausting, but I've found that it does catch the errors and sharpen things up.

I don't think my sales warrant paying an editor, but the bottom line is that you need one or two people who will read through your work and give you feedback.

What is you book about zantarous?
Old 16-11-2018, 10:20   #193
Taq
Evil Scientist

Yeah, recovering the editing costs is pretty much impossible for a lot of people I think (me included).
Old 16-11-2018, 16:58   #194
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
I self-edited my first book, but my second one I used Karl Drinkwater to edit it. He's very reasonable cost-wise and gives good (although sometimes brutal so don't go in expecting an ego massage) feedback for both language use and story structure.
You can find him at : https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/ or https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/p/serv...r-writers.html but it sounds like he's taking a short break - still worth contacting though depending on the genre you're writing in.
Thanks for this, I will get in touch with him and see if he can recommend someone else if he is not available. As for the truthfulness of it, I am fine with that, after all there is no point in me moving forward with something if it is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Funny thing for an author to say but I'm close to being fed-up with my upcoming book! I'm on the second read-through to remove grammatical errors and sharpen up the text. Then I'll pass it over to my daughter for another read before doing another couple of reads myself. It can be quite exhausting, but I've found that it does catch the errors and sharpen things up.

I don't think my sales warrant paying an editor, but the bottom line is that you need one or two people who will read through your work and give you feedback.

What is you book about zantarous?
I am with you on this I am fed up with it now, its 150 000 words and I have have rewritten it so many times that I just lost the will a bit. I have put it down for two years now so hopefully going back after an editor has been over it will help. As it is a sci fi/fantasy story and I have been working on it for so long some of the tech things probably need an update. And things like the UK leaving the EU need me to rework a few things as one of the main plot points is as dictator has got himself elected as leader of the EU and the UK leave in protest.

I need to work on a blurb but the basic gist of the book is:

Set 200ish years in the future, a young man finds out that he is the heir to a alien race hiding amongst humans who have been driven from their home. Here they wait for a final battle with a foe that has pursued them across the galaxy.

I have about 5 books worth of material and a nice little document that covers all the main story lines and all the main characters as to where their story begins, what main points of their story line is and where they end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Yeah, recovering the editing costs is pretty much impossible for a lot of people I think (me included).
I have no illusion of making any money and no I am likely to lose it instead. But I have put so much time an effort in I would love to see it published just for vanity sake and even if I sell only a handful of copies I will feel like can tick this of my bucket list.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 17:31   #195
Rob
Indie Author

Sounds good - you'll have to keep us informed of your progress.
You've got the right attitude - look on it as a hobby on which you spend a bit of money and see where it takes you. I really enjoy the challenge of planning, writing and editing and when you get to the finish line, it feels like a real achievement.
Old 16-11-2018, 19:04   #196
Taq
Evil Scientist

Writing is fun.
Editing is work.
Marketing is hell.
Old 16-11-2018, 19:26   #197
Rob
Indie Author

You got that right. Getting people to even look at your work is nigh-on impossible.
However, I have managed to persuade one blogger to read Monkey Arkwright and thanks to me reviewing his book, one published author is currently reading it as well!
Naturally, I have warned him not to post on Amazon, fearing a "review swap" will result in a big red mark against our names!
Old 16-11-2018, 20:04   #198
Taq
Evil Scientist

Yep, Amazon will delete both reviews most likely. I've always thought that's a handy mechanism for getting rid of bad reviews from other authors. Just review their book and tada! Problem solved!
Old 16-11-2018, 21:09   #199
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Well I'm looking forward to it

I want you to hurry up, but Im guessing its finished when its finished...
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 22:32   #200
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
Well I'm looking forward to it

I want you to hurry up, but Im guessing its finished when its finished...
Cheers, I appreciate that. Just finished a mammoth reading/tinkering session and I'm almost seeing double now! Hard work after a full day's software as well.

It won't be long now - I'm eyeing the first week in February as release week. Before then, I'm releasing a short story - the one I gave away free on my web-site for a while, but I'm thinking that putting it on Amazon will give it more exposure - got a cover done and everything.

Plenty of cover and blurb reveals over the next three weeks or so.