Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 16:41   #1
Woz
Viva indifference

Very obscure James Acaster Name This Song...

I saw James Acaster performing Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999 in Wells...well NOT perform it, but that's another story...and it opens with him standing on stage with mirrored aviators on, intermittently playing a fragment of music.
Stupidly I didn't Shazam it, and so I've had a tiny melody and unclear lyrics stuck in my brain for the last month!

My other half and I thought we had it when we heard Bon Iver, 22 A Million, but it's not that...it REALLY sounds like that though.
It's really not much to go on I know!
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 20:22   #2
DeadYankee

Thanked 1,924 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I saw James Acaster performing Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999 in Wells...well NOT perform it, but that's another story...and it opens with him standing on stage with mirrored aviators on, intermittently playing a fragment of music.
Stupidly I didn't Shazam it, and so I've had a tiny melody and unclear lyrics stuck in my brain for the last month!

My other half and I thought we had it when we heard Bon Iver, 22 A Million, but it's not that...it REALLY sounds like that though.
It's really not much to go on I know!
Tweet him and ask?
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 15:15   #3
Woz
Viva indifference

Yeah I might try that...he was quite upset when we talked to him after the Wells gig so I've been reluctant!
Old 02-08-2018, 19:24   #4
brainwaster
Divided by zero

What happened at the gig that upset him ?
Old 02-08-2018, 19:39   #5
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

He's a moody so and so. He threw a strop when we went to see him just because someone in the audience tried to be funny.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:08   #6
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler View Post
He's a moody so and so. He threw a strop when we went to see him just because someone in the audience tried to be funny.
Isn't dealing with hecklers part of their job? I don't get that. We saw Kevin Bridges a couple of years ago and went in a right mood and threatened to stop the show and offer everyone their money back. Just because he couldn't understand what a heckler said, and it dragged on and on and became very awkward.

Also saw a warm up for Ed Byrne once who thought he heard a heckler and took the **** for ages and ages, but the whole crowd knew it was a disabled guy just making noises and nobody was laughing. Awkward!

Anyway sorry I took the thread right off track.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:05   #7
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I don't think that dealing with hecklers is part of their job, especially if the comedian has a narrative style. If I am paying to see a comedian it is because I want to watch the show and not have to listen to some drunk unfunny **** shouting and disrupting the proceedings. I'm not sure why it's deemed to be acceptable for people to shout out.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:06   #8
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkyboy100 View Post
Isn't dealing with hecklers part of their job? I don't get that. We saw Kevin Bridges a couple of years ago and went in a right mood and threatened to stop the show and offer everyone their money back. Just because he couldn't understand what a heckler said, and it dragged on and on and became very awkward.

Was that in Birmingham and something to do with red wine?
Old 07-08-2018, 15:23   #9
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwaster View Post
What happened at the gig that upset him ?
For a start, let me say that I completely agreed with him.
This was at the Wells Comedy Festival and it was clear that the show started in an interesting way as he was on stage ( a low raised platform at the front - no wings) as we entered to sit, playing a playlist and wearing mirrored aviator shades.
Every so often he would play this fragment of music and STARE at someone in the audience, in a way that said 'look at me, I'm bloody cool'. He looked ridiculous and it was funny, but no one seemed to get it. I suspect a lot of the audience didn't even realise he was the main act...anyway, people drifted in late, disrupting the start of the show and then after he had started the show proper, a man *led his daughter out over the stage*
And Acaster, rightly, lost it...he spent an hour basically telling Wells off for having a **** audience...he was VERY funny, but clearly almost vibrating with rage.

We saw a lot of other acts that day and outside one (Nish Kumar I think) we saw one of the people that was at the same show, who was telling his girlfriend that 'he clearly set up the father walking over the stage as his act was all about being angry.' The guy looked like a ******* know it all dork and if I'd had had to continue an act with idiots like that watching I'd have lost it too.

Oh oh - one funny thing Acaster said was "I know it's unprofessional, but you won't see anyone else...well actually me and Nish...drive a show off a ******* cliff like this..."
Old 13-08-2018, 14:22   #10
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
Was that in Birmingham and something to do with red wine?
Nah this was Perth. Something to do with a place name. He was asking the crowd stuff so people are going to heckle.

It is something they have to deal with though Hood. Just like any other job comes with it's drawbacks. Dealing with the general public, you're not going to get a smooth show every time. Some comedians love it, some of them put hecklers in the audience. It's part of being a stand up comic.
Old 13-08-2018, 17:42   #11
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkyboy100 View Post
Nah this was Perth. Something to do with a place name. He was asking the crowd stuff so people are going to heckle.

It is something they have to deal with though Hood. Just like any other job comes with it's drawbacks. Dealing with the general public, you're not going to get a smooth show every time. Some comedians love it, some of them put hecklers in the audience. It's part of being a stand up comic.
He did exactly the same in birmingham. He basically asked the crowd what to talk about and some woman basically shouted red wine and he lost his ****.
Old 14-08-2018, 09:23   #12
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
He did exactly the same in birmingham. He basically asked the crowd what to talk about and some woman basically shouted red wine and he lost his ****.
He went right down in my estimation that night. Our kids loved him and were excited to see him. He went in the huff and started talking about giving people their money back and that he didn't care. Good to know it's not a one off!