Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 15-04-2016, 10:58   #1
soggs
Trusted User

Streaming to TV in bedroom

I'm after a bit of help regarding choosing a streaming box for the bedroom.

I was originally going to get a cable routed from my satellite dish to just be able to use a Freesat box but thought a streamer might be a more flexible option.

Now there are a whole stack of different streaming boxes, sticks etc on the market, but I simply need something I can stream live TV from. I'm not too interested in things like Netflix, or NowTV, at the moment at least, but it would be handy to stream from my WD MyCloud too.

The main competitors are NowTV, Roku and Amazon Fire. The first 2 will do all the main catch up services, plus I think you can sideload FilmOn to stream the free UK channels. Both the NowTV and Roku will allow me to stream from my NAS so seem good options. Now the Fire TV looks like the best option out of all of them as I think the TVPlayer app works natively without the need to sideload, plus I could install Kodi to get any other streams I may want or need.

The only downside to the Fire TV is that it's not NowTV compatible so if I did decide to take a subscription at a later date I'd need a NowTV box, but apart from that it seems to tick all the boxes.

Have I missed anything, or will the FTV be my best option here? In terms of cost I can get the FTV for £59 and the Roku 2 for £39 at the moment as I have a £20 discount voucher available to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
soggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:48   #2
stephen
Trusted User

I've used the tvplayer app on my fire tv stick and it installed natively and ran fine. The quality was fairly poor on a 40 inch tv but it might be ok on a smaller screen. There is also an airplay receiver you can install which lets you mirror an ipad display to the tv.

Do you really need live tv in this day and age though? It's been years since I watched or recorded off air tv.

Last edited by stephen; 15-04-2016 at 11:50.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:53   #3
basegreen
neergesab

FireTV is the best bet IMO.

Just added a SkyQ to all the TVs in the house, and for most purposes that's perfect. FireTV sticks add on netflix and amazon for time being. They'll end up on skyQ eventually I reckon,
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 13:44   #4
soggs
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I've used the tvplayer app on my fire tv stick and it installed natively and ran fine. The quality was fairly poor on a 40 inch tv but it might be ok on a smaller screen. There is also an airplay receiver you can install which lets you mirror an ipad display to the tv.

Do you really need live tv in this day and age though? It's been years since I watched or recorded off air tv.
It's only going to be used on a 32" TV max, possibly smaller so the image quality (or lack of) shouldn't be a big problem, but good to know it works without any problems.

I'm probably looked on as one of the few nowadays who does sit and watch more live TV rather than using all the catchup services so it will just be nice to have both options, maybe this will make me use it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
FireTV is the best bet IMO.

Just added a SkyQ to all the TVs in the house, and for most purposes that's perfect. FireTV sticks add on netflix and amazon for time being. They'll end up on skyQ eventually I reckon,
Thanks for the feedback, the Fire TV seems the more complete option, despite the lack of NowTV.

Sky Q does look like a great product, and if it wasn't quite so expensive, and if I hadn't only just cancelled Sky too, then it would be something I'd look at. I'm sure it will be bigger and better in the coming years, and maybe by then I'll be using all the streaming services to their fullest.
soggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 15:07   #5
daboy3000
Gone

Happy with our Roku stick, needs a reboot occasionally but generally ok. The new (4 times as powerful) one is out in the US soon but apparently no plans to launch it here.
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote