Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 25-11-2015, 15:57   #41
w_n_s
Scare Mongerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post

I'm sure there's a market for an all in one streaming service, you'd think Sky would be going towards that instead of sticking with recording.
There is - but I guess its a rights thing more than anything. Sky likely don't hold the rights to store and distribute content without paying extra .

Home recording law probably circumvents this.

Unfortunately - this thinking is what pushes people to other avenues where all / most popular content is readily and easily available at the press of a button.

Maybe a spotify approach for video / tv content is required . I'd happily pay £10 per month to access 99% of popular video content ( tv-series / movies ) without relying on different providers , but the content would need to be available within 24 hours of airing, otherwise its pointless.

Last edited by w_n_s; 25-11-2015 at 15:58.
w_n_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59   #42
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Sub/installation pricing as expected isn't pretty...

Quote:
Sky Q will be available to buy from 9 February, with installations beginning at the end of that month. Getting hold of this luxury telly package will cost you dear, however -- there's a £99 installation fee, and the most basic package costs £42 per month.

That package, dubbed "Sky Q Bundle" gets you Sky in one room, streaming on one tablet, the power to record three shows and watch a fourth, and 1TB of storage. The beefier option is called the "Sky Q Silver Bundle", and gets you Sky TV in two rooms using a Sky Q Silver and Q Mini box, streaming on two tablets, recording four shows at once and watching a fifth, as well as 2TB of storage -- for £54 per month.

On top of that, you'll have to decide whether you want to go in for Sky's movie and sport packages. Movies cost an extra £17 per month, sport costs £25.50 extra, and to get both in a bundle, you'll pay £34.50.

To get both sports and movies on the most basic package, then, you'd be paying £76.50 per month, on top of the £99 installation fee. There's no other broadcaster that offers the sheer range of features and programming that Sky Q nets you, but even so, that high price ensures that Sky's new toy will remain the preserve of well-off families who don't want to fuss around with multiple streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Video. For everyone else, there are many cheaper ways of getting many hours of great, evening-consuming TV and movies.
I don't even have movies/sport but if I want all those boxes I can't see the price being worth the benefit. TBH I was hoping to have a Q silver/standard Q/ AND a mini box but thats not even covered above.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:15   #43
welshmatt
Rusted User

The installation is pretty steep but isn't the monthly fee not much different from the current prices? Its just that lots of us are on a half price retention offer these days, but most must be paying full whack?
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19   #44
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

My issue is I already have 2 Sky+ boxes with a total of 3tb between them, weeknights 9pm we might already be recording 4 things at once, this new box will give me less storage and only to option to watch 1 more channel but not record more.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:31   #45
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

18 month contracts look to be a pain especially if on a discount which usually runs 12 months...
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:17   #46
Matholwch
Trusted User

Isn't the option to record becoming superflous? As most content becomes available for catch-up. Actually tuning in for the live broadcast becomes less applicable, nevermidn bothering to record.

My Humax hasn't been on for the last 18 months. I find my Netflix (although this may stop as they close down the VPN route), NowTV and iPlayer just about covers all bases.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:21   #47
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

I suppose it depends on how good your broadband is.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:44   #48
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matholwch View Post
Isn't the option to record becoming superflous? As most content becomes available for catch-up. Actually tuning in for the live broadcast becomes less applicable, nevermidn bothering to record.

My Humax hasn't been on for the last 18 months. I find my Netflix (although this may stop as they close down the VPN route), NowTV and iPlayer just about covers all bases.
No - because most catchup services don't have subtitles
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:52   #49
stephen
Trusted User

Recording is definitely superfluous for me. I watch on iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon and Microsoft/XBox store, I don't even have any live TV sources connected. I'm very selective about what I watch though, I'll sit down to watch an episode of house of cards, and then go off and do something else. Some people seem to prefer the "show me any old drivel, I don't care what it is" option of tv channels.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54   #50
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Don't they, Netflix and iPlayer do.
Old 02-02-2016, 13:17   #51
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,186 Times in 837 Posts
Also catchup services are a pain, you can do a series link for a show, but can't get it to automatically download the entire series as it is on.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 13:39   #52
stephen
Trusted User

No, but with something like Netflix they make all episodes available at once, instead of forcing a weeks gap between episodes.
Old 02-02-2016, 20:37   #53
Bish

I currently get F1 HD as part of the old legacy bundle and I read somewhere that anyone upgrading to Q will lose this and have to fork out for Sky Sports. If this is the case I won't be rushing to get Q
Old 02-02-2016, 20:39   #54
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I currently get F1 HD as part of the old legacy bundle and I read somewhere that anyone upgrading to Q will lose this and have to fork out for Sky Sports. If this is the case I won't be rushing to get Q

Ooooooo VERY GOOD POINT!

Bugger they've lost me
Old 02-02-2016, 20:45   #55
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

If I want to legally watch, for example, Game of Thrones with subtitles then the only option is to watch it Live or record it from a Live broadcast - or wait months for it to be on Amazon or iTunes (for a fee)
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 22:45   #56
belgarion_v
Vince Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Same here, the day I lose F1 is the day they lose a customer INCLUDING Broadband and Phone.

Vince
belgarion_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:26   #57
malcy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Don't they, Netflix and iPlayer do.
Amazon do as well for their own stuff but not all, most older BBC shows on it don't have subtitles for example.

Is a big issue for my parents as my mum is virtually completely deaf and my dad is going the same way. For them subtitles are critical and it's annoying ITV Hub, All4 and most iTunes content doesn't have subtitles.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:44   #58
Matholwch
Trusted User

Quote:
If I want to legally watch, for example, Game of Thrones with subtitles then the only option is to watch it Live or record it from a Live broadcast - or wait months for it to be on Amazon or iTunes (for a fee)
Doesn't NowTV offer subtitles?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:00   #59
Zaichik
Trusted User

I still record lots of stuff, partly due to needing subtitles and partly because then I know it's there for me to watch anytime and I don't have to worry about it disappearing from the catch-up services.
Zaichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:55   #60
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,186 Times in 837 Posts
Yes even with Sky it just disapears after a certain time if you do catchup, my son lost his favourite sooty episode like that. Now I record them off the telly.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote