Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 15:25   #1
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Bands who produced their best work long after they became famous

Most popular bands gain most critical acclaim/big sales with their early work. I was trying to think, are their any bands who made their best/most famous music long after they became well known?

I know that if we're just talking about what you consider to be their "best" music then it is subjective (for example: I'd say that Nine Inch Nails have made far better music over the past decade than their early output, but it doesn't sell anywhere near as well), but what about bands who's most popular work came in their later years?

I think I'd include, perhaps quite obviously, The Beatles. The songs from 'Abbey Road' and 'Let It Be' are arguably more well known (and better) than their earlier hits.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 05-12-2018 at 15:28.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 15:41   #2
douglasb
Suedehead.

Certainly acts can produce late-career highs after maybe falling away but it's often only the hardcore fans who will appreciate it - NIN as you say, or Suede's recent acclaim.

I'm going to throw in Johnny Cash who - with the help of Rick Rubin - created a new spin on his legacy and found a completely new audience as a result. Quite different from acts like Fleetwood Mac who are rediscovered but have little fresh to say creatively.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
LeftHandedGuitarist (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 15:45   #3
Wooglie
Rurouni

I guess Take That could be included with their 2000 albums.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
LeftHandedGuitarist (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 17:36   #4
DeadYankee

Thanked 1,786 Times in 977 Posts
I guess Bob Dylan hit a commercial high well into his career when he went electric. Primal Scream were a slow burn in terms of public acclaim. Metallica peaked on albums 3 and 4 then tanked in terms of quality whilst popularity soared. The Smiths built to a crescendo with the Queen is Dead then imploded. Pink Floyd are an interesting case study - radically changing many times but increasingly popular in terms of sales. Also have to mention the Manics who went from cult to mainstream overnight after 5 years.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 20:57   #5
wobbly Jelly
Trusted User

If you look at Pink Floyd you wonder how the got from Piper to Dark Side in half a dozen moves?

Johnny Cash - with the American recordings?

Nick Cave from Birthday party to The Bad Seeds.
Old 05-12-2018, 21:24   #6
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,064 Times in 757 Posts
Johnny Cash - Whilst him recording some decent covers in his later years got him about of the horrible naffness that he had become, he recorded his best work early in his career.

The whole thing is hard, lots of bands recorded many albums before coming famous, you generally become famous for making a decent record (although not always).

Lots of bands produced a load of crap before making it big with a properly produced and marketed record, Dixie Chicks, Eminem, etc.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 14:01   #7
ascender
Trusted User

I think James are a great example of this. They are still remembered by most as the band who did Sit Down, but their last three albums are among the best they've ever done - well received critically and by fans.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Woz (07-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 14:04   #8
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Johnny Cash - Whilst him recording some decent covers in his later years got him about of the horrible naffness that he had become, he recorded his best work early in his career.

The whole thing is hard, lots of bands recorded many albums before coming famous, you generally become famous for making a decent record (although not always).

Lots of bands produced a load of crap before making it big with a properly produced and marketed record, Dixie Chicks, Eminem, etc.
Johnny Cash had a remarkable career resurgence off the back of the American Recordings series of albums.

Artists like him seem to come in and out of fashion (for wont of a better word) so many times in their careers.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 15:05   #9
douglasb
Suedehead.

I think there's a reasonable consistency in the initial fame / wilderness years / back in the spotlight regime.

People like Neil Diamond, Tom Jones, Fleetwood Mac. They might not necessarily achieve the same critical success but people recognise their place in things. Someone like Paul McCartney can still fill arenas but most people wouldn't be able to whistle anything he's done since about 1983.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 15:20   #10
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,064 Times in 757 Posts
Especially when for most people when they're considering an earlier era artist, they're often considering a "greatest hits" selection. Can you really name many albums by Elvis?

I'm a big fan of Blues Traveler, couple of catchy singles of one album made them vaguely famous in the US, never troubled the charts before or since. Still producing a decent output though.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:40   #11
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

The answer to any question about who did it best in music is always... David Bowie.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
LeftHandedGuitarist (Yesterday)