Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Notices

Old 17-12-2018, 23:02   #81
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,570 Times in 508 Posts
Apart from some minor dialogue changes, there is no other gameplay difference...
I'm only jealous as I don't have time to play it once, let alone twice...

Last edited by Chris Locke; 17-12-2018 at 23:03.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 21:07   #82
ljp
learned 2 ape the motions

A mere 139 hours to platinum the game! Not bad for a game that cost £25.00 from Fleabay!
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 16:05   #83
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

While I like the game, its a shame they shove so much crappy filler content. Some of the content is just **** to pad out the game time. Add in crappy level gating so you either grind or buy the XP booster. Apparently review copies had the XP booster

Some times you get a nice set of missions like the minotaur one or just lazy trash like kill 3 spartans in 3 different places. Hopefully the next AC game can be mix of the RPG system (but not level gated crap) and some of the older stealth elements
Old 27-03-2019, 09:48   #84
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

I'm loving it but there is a lot of filler and the completionist in me wants to do them all. Some missions like take medicine to someone 200m away is plain daft, and some you don't have to do anything apart from give them 50 drachmae.

The rest is insanely good though.
Old 27-03-2019, 11:00   #85
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Never understood the claim that this game was about grinding and aimed at trying to get you to buy the XP boost. I've played just over 100 hours of it, mixing up main missions with side missions and not felt I've needed to grind once. There's loads of side missions and even whole side elements (the blue ones, the weekly missions etc) I've not even bothered with. The gameplay mechanics are just so fun and the world so well made that it's always enjoyable.

The gear system in AC:OD works so well that I've never had to grind for stuff once. I've always been able to upgrade easily by selling or dismantling all the stuff I accumulated. In comparison Skyrim and The Witcher 3 had way more grind.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 11:21   #86
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

If lot of the side missions were actually good then it would less of a problem but some of the side missions are dull MMO style crap, go here and kill this and collect object and its not even interesting (not even taking about the bounties)

So you either do these bad missions or buy the XP booster which keeps to a minimum. There isn't a grind for weapons/armour, just levelling up unless you do a lot of so called optional missions. Witcher 3 had none of this

If they cut the filler content out it would of much better game
Old 27-03-2019, 11:49   #87
JimDriver2
Trusted User

I disagree. I gained easily enough XP to level up by taking down forts, camps, mercs, conquest battles. You're right there's a lot of fetch quest stuff available but I never needed to do that. I just looked at each mission available and it was easy to tell if there was a load of combat involved (which is way more enjoyable and arguably deeper than TW3) and just did those.

I played all through the TW3, both expansions as well and it had plenty of dragged out missions, side and main. Don't even get me started on those flipping 'mini-games' in that wedding mission, it felt like hours to get through that stuff.

Obviously it's down to personal opinion but none of the content in AC:OD feels like filler to me. It's all optional and can be ignored entirely without slowing down your progress through the game. You will need to do some side-missions alongside main ones but I don't think there's been an open world game yet that didn't need that. In fact what's the point of an open world game without stuff to explore, find and do. You either make it enjoyable because of story (TW3) or combat mechanics (AC:OD) and it's fun.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 12:30   #88
lentini
now with added cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
Never understood the claim that this game was about grinding and aimed at trying to get you to buy the XP boost. I've played just over 100 hours of it, mixing up main missions with side missions and not felt I've needed to grind once.
Same. Outrage for the sake of outrage.
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 12:44   #89
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I enjoyed this game a lot. I loved the setting (especially the parts where I've been to in real life) and I thought that using Kassandra as the main character was really great. The combat and stealth dynamics were both excellent so regardless of how you approached the game it was always fun. As a game you could happily play it for a long session or a quick half hour blast. Whilst I would consider RDR2 a significantly better game than AC:Odyssey, you could only really get the most out of RDR2 if you had time for a long session. However, with Odyssey there are far too many pointless unrewarding side missions and some of the dialogue parts were so interminable that I found myself skipping through them towards the end of the game. I also found all of the ship battles a total chore. If with the next installment they can cut out the crappy side missions and get some better voice actors for minor characters then I'll be very happy.

I have to say that I never found it any trouble to get the XP at any point. I always seemed to be at the right level through normal play.

Last edited by Hood; 27-03-2019 at 12:48.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 09:20   #90
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

I'm not struggling for XP either. I'm just doing missions as I see, them, clear out an area/island, then move on. Sometimes do a main quest. Kassandra is a great lead character, and more than a bit randy (love interests pop up all the time).
Old 01-05-2019, 10:56   #91
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

This is the game that never ends. About 120 hours in and still getting sidetracked. Might be about time to start ploughing through the main quest but uncovering the whole map, killing all the cultists, finding all viewpoints etc takes a lot of time.