Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 28-09-2018, 08:26   #1
MARKMAN
**** pretentious ****

A Star Is Born (2018)

Went to a preview screening of this last night at my local The Light Cinema. I have to say that, whilst there a a couple of VERY MINOR quibbles, my wife and I thought it was an utterly fantastic film. It was amazing for many reasons - Bradley Coooer doing his best, grizzled version of Kris Kristifferson, modern day Jeff Bridges and Sam Elliot. The music hits exactly the right note (sic), the chemistry between Cooper and Gaga is immensely believable and let’s not forget Gaga’s performance - so natural, so unforced, so believable, so autobiographical and her voice is gjven true front and centre at the right time. However, for me the real star of the film was Cooper’s direction - it really is outstandingly assured and confident, in a way that it belies his lack of experience behind the camera. There are many “big name” directors who pale into insignificance based on what Cooper has done here. His ability to tell a story (albeit one that’s been told many times before), his ability to achieve great performances from his key actors without showboating himself and his ability to create a visual style which is almost 70’s in its look. I was very impressed.

A couple of minor quibbles in unfulfilled minor character roles and unexplored themes aside, it’s a tremendous piece of work by all involved and there weren’t many dry eyes in the screening at a couple of points in the film.

Last edited by MARKMAN; 28-09-2018 at 18:25.
MARKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:11   #2
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Went to a screening last night too, security guards on the door telling everyone all phones had to be off & checking when everyone was seated...

It was brilliant, her performance was amazing
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:50   #3
ROne
Trusted User

I was very much looking forward to this remake of a remake, helmed by Bradley Cooper who also stars alongside Lady Gaga.

First half is terrific and almost exhilarating – but second half of the movie is handled badly and needed some serious editing. Chemistry is good and Gaga is great at handling the average struggling girl role.

The mumble fest between Bradley Cooper and Sam Elliott , outdoes even Jeff Bridges for inaudible authenticity – and certainly devalues some of the scenes. Also, some of the incessant swearing seemed forced rather than saved for impact.

The story is unfortunately riddled with classic clichés too which leaves nothing for the ending to be surprised about, robbing it of power - despite the dog bit which I did find affecting.

Not a bad film, just not a five star film that the press are all over

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!
ROne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 13:08   #4
mikef
Trusted User

I actually quite fancy seeing this, its not normally my kind of thing....but Vue aren't showing it.

m
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:18   #5
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

A powerful performance from Bradley Cooper controls the film. Outside of that, it's bleak and very repetitive and FAR too long. It doesn't weigh the balance between character and story very well, tipping too far into one then the other and asking us to accept things without the material to back it up. I may have only understood about 75% of the dialogue, too.

Through all that, it did keep me invested and I enjoyed the guitar-based music (an interesting juxtaposition once the terrible pop music creeps in). Bradley Cooper is just fantastic here. I'll never want to watch it again, though.

The swearing is ridiculously OTT, and takes you right out of the film with how unnatural it is.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:30   #6
ROne
Trusted User

Completely agree with all of that LHG.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!
ROne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 23:09   #7
Shingster
Trusted User

A Star is Born is contributing to rape culture. I honestly don't see how film criticism can survive this decade if this abhorrent culture of virtue signalling doesn't get reined in.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 23:54   #8
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
A Star is Born is contributing to rape culture. I honestly don't see how film criticism can survive this decade if this abhorrent culture of virtue signalling doesn't get reined in.
I heard from a lady today who assured me they don't know a single woman who hasn't been sexually assaulted, so I think the problem is much wider than film criticism.

Pretty depressing stuff and detrimental to the cause they claim to be championing.