Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 13-02-2019, 07:29   #2261
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyfan View Post
I'll have to check about the transcoding, and yes everything is hard wired for streaming using either Cat5e or Cat6 cables and through gigabit ports and switches.
ok, in that respect you should be fine. If transcoding is on though, that's probably the issue. In order to transcode 4k, it requires quite a beefy cpu, something which the microserver doesn't have.

Quote:
I was wondering if things struggle if over 80% of the drive is being used, I haven't set up any raid, the 3 disks are independent of each other (3 x 4TB so losing 2.4Tb of it is annoying).
nahh, it shouldn't struggle if you have 800gb left. I don't run my drives in raid either as I'm not faffed about losing the data, plus I have mismatched sizes so I would lose a lot of space.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
pompeyfan (13-02-2019)
Old 14-02-2019, 12:27   #2262
Anthony.S
XBL - AnthonyS UK

Quote:
The FreeNAS I have is 11.2 and it won't work from my SSD only from the USB, so i want to switch to something that will (I'm hoping moving to SSD will improve streaming of 4k movies as they currently buffer and stutter too badly to watch), it would also be nice if I could use up most of my drives space as well, as FreeNAS starts complaining unless there is at least 800Gb left free on each 4Tb drive.

I've had Diskstation recommended, so am looking at that atm, but also thought about Windows Server.
What is your CPU usage like using FreeNAS?
I don't think a microserver would run that well TBH and Diskstation will have better performance.
Anthony.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:42   #2263
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.S View Post
What is your CPU usage like using FreeNAS?
I don't think a microserver would run that well TBH and Diskstation will have better performance.
It goes up to about 125% and that was with a 1080p film.
Old 14-02-2019, 18:19   #2264
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Wow, I'm running ESXi on mine, with a Diskstation VM and a Ubuntu VM (for hosting MariaDB for the kodi central DB). I don't see the CPU use going above 20% when it's just serving films. Does sound like you're transcoding somewhere.
Old 14-02-2019, 21:07   #2265
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
Wow, I'm running ESXi on mine, with a Diskstation VM and a Ubuntu VM (for hosting MariaDB for the kodi central DB). I don't see the CPU use going above 20% when it's just serving films. Does sound like you're transcoding somewhere.
I don't actually know where to find out about transcoding, the best I could find was setting the quality over wifi which I set to 10mbps 1080p, but I stream via a network cable.

Where can I get diskstation to install as my OS? I looked on the Synology website but couldn't find a download.

Cheers
Old 14-02-2019, 21:58   #2266
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

Quote:
I don't actually know where to find out about transcoding, the best I could find was setting the quality over wifi which I set to 10mbps 1080p, but I stream via a network cable.

Where can I get diskstation to install as my OS? I looked on the Synology website but couldn't find a download.

Cheers

You won’t find it. People use Xpenology which takes advantage of free source to in effect use identical s/w. As in it will download from Synology once set up. But you need to follow a lot of instructions and be aware you will run behind Synology releases as it gets harder for them to make Xpenology work against the Synology releases.
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 22:55   #2267
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecie View Post
You won’t find it. People use Xpenology which takes advantage of free source to in effect use identical s/w. As in it will download from Synology once set up. But you need to follow a lot of instructions and be aware you will run behind Synology releases as it gets harder for them to make Xpenology work against the Synology releases.
Ah so Diskstation may not be the way to go then. All i really want is something lighweight that can be installed on an SSD thats not too resource hungry to run Plex as that is all I intend using the microserver for. FreeNAS does the job so far but apparently 11.2 can't be run from an SSD.
Old 15-02-2019, 08:03   #2268
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Ah so Diskstation may not be the way to go then. All i really want is something lighweight that can be installed on an SSD thats not too resource hungry to run Plex as that is all I intend using the microserver for. FreeNAS does the job so far but apparently 11.2 can't be run from an SSD.
you could try open media vault
https://www.openmediavault.org/

I believe it was a fork from freenas when freenas decided to go all big and professional, the people doing open media vault decided they wanted to go the other way, IE home nas.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Chris Locke (04-03-2019)
Old 16-02-2019, 16:18   #2269
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfrog View Post
you could try open media vault

https://www.openmediavault.org/

I believe it was a fork from freenas when freenas decided to go all big and professional, the people doing open media vault decided they wanted to go the other way, IE home nas.
I run that on a Pi, and it's okay for a home NAS

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 17-02-2019, 20:37   #2270
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,005 Posts
Nightmare weekend with Xpenology / HP N54L NAS.

On Thursday one of my drives 'crashed' and was put in a read-only state (200+ bad sectors). Not a big problem as I had backups and could still make backups, and I had a drive to replace it with. My only real concerns were time it takes and more troubling is that all of my apps were installed on the drive that crashed.

I did my final backups and removed the drive in Xpenology. Then I powered down, put in the new drive, initialised it and restored the data. It took an entire day (USB2, the worst thing about the N54L) but so far, so good.

Then the apps. They all needed repairing and I was doing them one by one, until after doing one of them they all disappeared - even the ones I'd repaired successfully.

Decided to try a reboot. Oh ****! No IP address assigned, server not reachable. WTF?

I made a new USB boot drive (same loader version). No joy.
Removed the drives and booted with just the USB - server now appears. Must be a config error in the system partitions on the drives...

I was on 5.2 5665 so decided to have a go at installing DSM 6.1 with the thinking it'll flush out the bad config.

It's been a while since I've done this and tutorials specific to the HP N54L are hard to find, and even the general tutorial thread on Xpenology.me is a little vague. Anyway - that's my poor excuse for a monumental cock up - during the installation (which went as expected) I just clicked 'Install' instead of 'Manual Install' and selecting the correct PAT file.

BALLS!

This put me back in the no IP / server not found situation. It took me a while to realise this (a few different USB boot drives later and the message when trying another install of "you must select a DSM version later than 6.2.xxx") but I had installed the latest DSM direct from the Synology servers - something that's not at all supported on the loader I used, or any loader right now.

Lots of reading online later this thread was my saviour: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12...ible-solution/

Specifically the 2 threads linked within allowed me to edit the Version file that let me trick the install procedure into thinking I was on a lower version of DSM than I was. It wasn't simple - even following the Ubuntu Live instructions I had to use the vi text editor as I couldn't figure out how to get the right access in the Ubuntu file manager once I'd mounted the drives.

Once that was done I used the 6.1 loader and did the install/migration correctly and in 10 mins or less I was back to a working NAS. Lost the apps but I really don't care at this point!

Fingers crossed all the unfortunate hard shutdowns didn't do any damage.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 14:43   #2271
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

So, I had a disk failure on my N54L and lost my central MySQL (MariaDB) library. Faffed around a bit and got it running under a Ubuntu VM rather than the rather old Synology version. This also died the other day. Went back to a local Kodi database which was fine, but had some scraping issues. Installed Emby Server yesterday on Xpenology as the backend, and it's awesome. Central DB again which each client needs to sync from so there's local redundancy too. Plus you can manage the library from its web interface. I do expose my music locally via Plex, but don't like the interface under Kodi for Movies/ TV. Emby is just a straight DB swap-in, so everything just looks like Kodi.
Old 03-03-2019, 19:43   #2272
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I've been meaning to try Emby Server with Kodi but haven't got round to it yet. Which addon are you using? I presume the one that gives the full Emby stuff into Kodi?

I currently use Kodi on my main TV through a Shield TV but Emby on all mobile devices and our kitchen tv, and use Trakt to try to keep it reasonably in sync, but it's not perfect.

What skin are you using on Kodi with Emby? And does it let you create smart playlists, etc by path ie the path on the network - I have most of my TV shows grouped into folders by type, kids, etc and use smart playlists to say, for example, all shows in this folder, that sort of thing. Emby is currently rubbish for playlists as they don't support smart playlists so it'd be good to still be able to create them in Kodi but using the Emby Server media.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:01   #2273
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Just using the Emby addon, not EmbyCon. It then replaces your library so in theory, it's seemless integration with Kodi (I'm still using the Estuary skin). I have found a minor issue with getting the library to update. The central library updates and detects new media, but the local Kodi instances aren't. They see there's an update, but after running it's not there. I've had to go into the Emby addon library settings and choosing library update from there, which does a full library sync.

*edit* seems I was using the latest beta. Switched to the release version and it syncs correctly.

Last edited by shteve; 07-03-2019 at 12:36.
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 16:53   #2274
Big A
OTBC

Hey guys,
I'm having issues with my HP Proliant server running WHS 2011, it seems to be running the 'resume windows' screen every time i switch it on and then randomly switching off after 10 mins. it will restart sometimes, other times not. I managed to get a log file in the hope it would explain things, but looking at this it seems there are loads of driver not loading and now i'm totally confused?!?

Log File - ntbtlog.txt - https://filebin.net/62h6ob1dl05vwwwj...txt?t=rmn6acw6

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Big A; 06-06-2019 at 17:00.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote