Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 20-08-2006, 16:29   #21
Guest 56272
Trusted User

I am in the same boat with you guys. I find ordering through Amazon.com is the best for me. I get everything quickly (instead of waiting for later Canadian release dates), complete (no missing documentaries or extras) and I find that with the low exchange rate (lower than our tax here in Quebec actually) and the better prices on Amazon.com versus any Canadian store, it's the best possible deal - especially when you pre-order of course. I have saved SO much doing that.

The rate exchange has not been adjusted on DVDs yet so the difference is usually enormous, especially on boxsets. Some sets you can buy for $30-34 US on Amazon are over $60 or 70 CDN in stores. I check all the time and am amazed.

Edited Canadian versions i can think of are Easter Parade (does not include the second disk with the PBS documentary on Garland), one of the Garbo films (one I don't have, is supposed to be missing a feature too), The Classic Comedies Boxset was never even released here because of rights issues pertaining to To Be or Not to Be....Others can probably think of many more.

Sorry for going totally off-topic on this Bogart thread....For my sin, let me at least say that I am looking forward to the Maltese Falcon 3-Disc Edition

Last edited by CinéKarine; 21-08-2006 at 13:01.
Guest 56272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 19:30   #22
Guest 58238
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefty
hey Chris! Warner edits Canadian editions? can you cite examples of this?
Maybe we should start a new thread where people can notify others of altered Canadian content? Might be useful and save people some money. I got stuck with a few Warner DVDs I'd already opened, not knowing they were incomplete, and had to buy 'em all over again, before I caught on and started ordering from the US as a rule. I wish someone at HTF would confront WB at one of their chats, and try to get them to tell us in advance through their press releases or something, if the Canadian versions are going to be different. It really sucks to be in the dark about it.

Anyway, a few more off the top of my head:

- The Band Wagon is missing the "Two-Faced Woman" outtake.

- John Wayne/John Ford boxset is missing "Stagecoach" entirely.

- The Wizard Of Oz ultimate 3-dvd set is missing bonus cartoon from 1933.

Hey, CinéKarine - It's true the prices at Amazon.com are much better than at .ca - Let's hope they never realize it. My big fear is that Amazon.com will change their policies and stop shipping to Canada or something. Every time I go there it shows me a Canadian flag and asks me if I wouldn't rather be shopping at Amazon.ca :P At the risk of sounding unpatriotic - hell no! Sucks to be Canadian sometimes.
Guest 58238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 14:44   #23
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Agree!!!!

As per your suggestion, I started a thread with differences in Canadian releases you listed in previous post and differences I listed in post before yours, so we can leave Bogart zone for this dicussion

Last edited by CinéKarine; 21-08-2006 at 14:45.
Old 04-09-2006, 15:18   #24
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

R2 gets a The Maltese Falcon: The Special Edition next month - will it be a 3-discer with all the R1 features?
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 17:52   #25
Guest 13065
Trusted User

intriguing indeed
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:13   #26
Livius
Is it far?

Has anybody picked up the Signature Collection vol.2?
Over at the HTF there have been some complaints regarding the packaging, such as the outer box being too big & the Maltese Falcon discs not having their own slipcase (hence the oversized box?).
All sounds very curious, anyone here know anything?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:16   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I'm 'processing'; I hate to get anal about packaging, but in purely aesthetic terms, it sounds disappointing. However, praise is being heaped on the 'Falcon' transfer already, so it's not bad news.

Last edited by John Hodson; 04-10-2006 at 12:16.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26   #28
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I'm 'processing'; I hate to get anal about packaging, but in purely aesthetic terms, it sounds disappointing. However, praise is being heaped on the 'Falcon' transfer already, so it's not bad news.
Usually I couldn't care less about packaging either, but the Falcon set should have its own case like the individual release. I don't know it just sounds a bit slipshod, if you know what I mean.
Anyway, the important thing is the movie and I'm delighted to hear that the transfer for Falcon seems to have come up trumps.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:26   #29
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

This is the text of Dave Kehr's 'New York Times' review of the 'Falcon' set:

By DAVE KEHR
Published: October 3, 2006

Remakes, according to a deeply ingrained critical convention, are inevitably inferior to the original films. Exhibit A in the case against that irrational assumption has long been John Huston’s 1941 “Maltese Falcon,” featuring Humphrey Bogart in his star-making role as Dashiell Hammett’s hard-boiled private detective, Sam Spade. Huston’s “Falcon” was actually the third version of Hammett’s best-selling novel of 1930 to be produced by Warner Brothers, following a reasonably faithful adaptation by Roy Del Ruth filmed in 1931 and an imaginative reworking of the material into something approaching a screwball comedy in 1936, directed by William Dieterle and retitled “Satan Met a Lady.”

All three versions are included in a three-disc set coming out today from Warner Home Video. It’s being sold separately at $29.98, but is also included, along with Huston’s “Across the Pacific” (1942), Vincent Sherman’s “All through the Night” (1942), Lloyd Bacon’s “Action in the North Atlantic” (1943) and Michael Curtiz’s “Passage to Marseille” (1944) in the box set “Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection, Volume II,” priced at $59.98.

Though the Huston remains the definitive version — thanks as much to the miracle of casting that brought together Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet and Elisha Cook Jr. as to Huston’s direction — the two other versions have striking merits of their own.

The great advantage of the first “Falcon” is that it was created during the pre-Code period in Hollywood, meaning that Sam Spade could still enjoy his adulterous relationship with his partner’s oversexed wife (played by a smoldering Thelma Todd in the sort of black lace negligee that makes boys leave home), a tryst somewhat softened in the 1936 film and denied as a vicious rumor by Bogart in the post-Code “Falcon” of 1941. And the homosexual relationship between Casper Gutman (Dudley Digges) and Wilmer, his hatchet-man sidekick (Dwight Frye), is much more explicit than it would be in the Dieterle film, in which Gutman, ingeniously, is turned into a dowager con woman, played with gusto by Alison Skipworth, and Wilmer becomes her baby-faced young lover (Maynard Holmes, unjustly uncredited in the film). By 1941, when sexuality of any unorthodox stripe was banned from motion picture entertainment, Huston was reduced to casting coded assertions (a business card that smells of gardenia, etc.) toward all of the supporting villains, including Joel Cairo (now played by Peter Lorre), an undistinguished hetero in both 1931 (Otto Matieson) and 1936 (Arthur Treacher).

The three films differ most significantly in their treatment of the novel’s climax. (Recent convention requires a “spoiler alert” at this point, though I suspect more people know the ending of “The Maltese Falcon” than the winner of the last presidential election.) In the first film, Ricardo Cortez’s Sam Spade is an embittered Depression cynic who has discarded his idealism in favor of fast blondes and hip flasks; in the second, Warren William plays “Ted Shayne,” as the character has been renamed, as an extension of the charming cads he played with great flair in pre-Code Warner comedies like “The Dark Horse” and “The Mind Reader.” Only Bogart plays a brooding, idealistic, romantic figure (closer to Raymond Chandler’s Philip Marlowe than Hammett’s ghostly existentialist hero). Mr. Cortez and Mr. William both laugh as they turn Spade’s treacherous lover (Bebe Daniels in ’31, Bette Davis in ’36) over to the cops. But Huston burrows in on Spade’s anguish, giving him repeated close-ups that emphasize how torn he is about his decision. In the last of them, he seems (horrors) on the brink of tears.

The new collection features a fresh transfer of the 1941 film that looks and sounds much better than anything that has appeared on home video previously; the other two films haven’t been put through the same expensive digital restoration process, but both look fine for their age. And if the three film versions aren’t enough, the collection also features three radio adaptations, one starring Edward G. Robinson and Laird Cregar. Throw in the Warner’s blooper reel from 1941, a new documentary and an audio commentary from the Bogart biographer Eric Lax and you have a typically munificent Warner package. Not rated.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:52   #30
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Got vol 1 today (I, too, am still bloody "processing" on vol 2), and the packaging is a little ... odd. Regular cardboard outer case, but while Casablanca and ToSM are in their original digipaks inside, High Sierra and They Drive by Night have been changed from snappers to slimcases. Seems to me, you either stick 'em all in regular amarays, or all in slims. I don't really mind how it looks, but it is a bit of a mishmash as released.

Last edited by jackal; 07-10-2006 at 10:55.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 13:21   #31
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The Beaver on one of my favourite films The Maltese Falcon, plus:

Across the Pacific
Action in The North Atlantic
All Through The Night
Passage to Marseilles

This set can't come fast enough...
Old 13-10-2006, 16:49   #32
Guest 57028
Banned

it's a pretty great set--Passage to Marseilles is much worse than I remembered, and Action in the North Atlantic is quite a bit better, so that evens out! Wish they all had commentary-tracks, but they DID come up with some interesting featurettes this time out (especially the one devoted to character actors!)

when do we get volume 3? (I'd love to see them throw It All Came True in there--I've been wanting to see it for nigh on twenty years now!)
Guest 57028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 18:12   #33
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Savant on set 2 here.
Old 18-10-2006, 15:29   #34
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

A review of the new Maltese Falcon SE.
Guest 50025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 10:02   #35
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I'm not usually this anal about packaging, but I'm spitting blood now. Set 2 arrived this morning and no slipcase for the 'Falcon' three-disc. Some folks have been getting one and other haven't - it's a blunder at Warners end. The box is quite clearly manufactured to take one; the cases rattle around instead of sliding comfortably into place and the whole box - even in the plastic wrap - is bowed due to the slack space.

Maybe it's because I'm in a foul mood anyway, but up with this I will not put...
Old 26-10-2006, 10:15   #36
Guest 57383
Trusted User

I just got mine this morning, John, and the disks are all in slim cases and fully fit the card box. Disk one of the Falcon is in one case, disks two and three in another. Doesn't look like there's room for an extra slipcase.

Last edited by Frank Maher; 26-10-2006 at 10:17.
Guest 57383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 10:32   #37
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

From this review:

"Just a quick note regarding the packaging of this set. All of the discs contained within the collection are housed in Slimcases (a welcomed new trend). However, it would seem as though changes to the collection caused some inconsistencies to the set itself. The 6 Slimline cases seem to be slightly too thin for the box itself (assuming changes were made to The Maltese Falcon set). Even the Slimcases themselves are rather an odd assortment as some of them are clear and a few of them are black – not a big deal but seems rather peculiar. While I rarely harp on such trivial issues, one can’t help but feel just slightly disappointed in the lackluster appointment of The Maltese Falcon – one of the greatest films of all time. It definitely deserves a much more prestigious treatment than it received."

Some people have been receiving sets with the 'Falcon' set in a slipcase (replicating the individual release), the majority haven't. It looks odd and to echo Herb, it lacks prestige. I'm not going to harp on about, because the the content is the thing, but it is a blunder.

Last edited by John Hodson; 26-10-2006 at 11:23.
Old 26-10-2006, 11:40   #38
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Got mine today as well, with no slipcase for the Falcon. Just swell.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 18:13   #39
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Blogged a few words on 'The Falcon' here; a word of warning, the post below that one has not been edited for seniors!
Old 30-10-2006, 19:11   #40
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Review here: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/bogartcollvol2.php