Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 19-07-2004, 21:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I thought that his playing against type was one of the reasons to like The African Queen; you could say the same of The Treasure of The Sierra Madre, where his character runs the whole gamut of emotion (and that's only the first 20 minutes).
Certainly Bogart is playing against type more so in The Treasure of The Sierra Madre but I didn't find anything remiss about his performance here, maybe it's the nature of the story greed/treachery/madness.

Quote:
Unless you go for the R2 Bogart Box Set 2 (with TTOTSM), you'll have to go R1 for the individual discs Cornelius, and quite excellent they are.
thanks John, looks like it's the R1's for me then.

Quote:
Another thumbs up for In a Lonely Place (which, if you haven't seen it, you are missing out on not only a terrifc performance but a superb transfer)...
That's great keep em coming.
Old 19-07-2004, 21:26   #22
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius
That's great keep em coming.
Go on then

Paramount's disc of William Wyler's The Desperate Hours is excellent; if you know the film you'll know that it features a terrific cast lead by an older Bogart, harking back to one of his very first roles in The Petrified Forest.

The Vistavision 1.85:1 presentation is superb, with lovely detail and contrast; all I've come to expect from the studio of late. The movie's not bad either; nearly as much fun as the Galton and Simpson rewrite...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 22:09   #23
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I've only ever seen The Big Sleep once a long time a go and the plot didn't seem to make sense to me

You wouldn't be alone. Rumour has it that William Faulkner and Howard Hawks tried to get an explanation out of Chandler and he wasn't sure who killed the chauffeur either.

Incidentally, if you want to see how badly this material can possibly be handled, give Michael Winner's truly appalling British-set remake from 1978 ten minutes next time its on telly.. Robert Mitchum looking drugged, Oliver Reed overacting like mad, John Mills playing a copper, Joan Collins doing whatever she does. I confess to paying to see this in 1978 - but only because it was on in a double bill with Dick Richards' "Farewell My Lovely" which really is a good film.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 08:16   #24
Guest 32972
This Space For Hire

Favourite Bogart Movie - Casablanca
Favourite Bogart Performance - The Treasure of Sierra Madre (although quite similar to "A Caine Mutiny")
Guest 32972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 19:19   #25
Guest 34322
Trusted User

The Big Sleep. The best.
Guest 34322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 19:41   #26
Raphph
Sean, Sean, SEAN!

The Big Sleep ...or maybe The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre....it's so hard to pick between the two!
Raphph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 20:22   #27
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Another thumbs up for In a Lonely Place (which, if you haven't seen it, you are missing out on not only a terrifc performance but a superb transfer...
Which region are you referring to there John, or doesn't it matter? Taped this when it was on tv last year and must've watched it 4 times already! Really must get the dvd!

I'd go with this film and "Casablanca", which let's face it is a perfect film in every way.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 18:52   #28
kfung
Trusted User

'Passage to Marseilles' a kind of forerunner to 'Papillion'.
kfung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 22:35   #29
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

I love The Big Sleep, but my favourite Bogie performance has to be The Maltese Falcon. I ran the DVD this evening, and I was struck all over again by the sheer intelligence of his work in this movie. He's gobbling up an acting opportunity after years of doing B movie horror flicks. When he is on the screen, one simply has no choice but to look at him in fascination and awe...
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 16:29   #30
Guest 24708
Banned

I think that's a very, very difficult question to answer as no one performance springs to mind, at least in my opinion. Bogie was impressive in many roles even if the films as a whole were inconsistent.

If I had to pick one I'd probably go for The Big Sleep not only because that role fit him so perfectly but because his performance practically defined a genre almost on its own. But he was also fantastic in The Roaring Twenties and the scene at the end where he grovels shamelessly in front of Cagney after the tables have been turned on him is a constant favourite moment of mine.

Equally good were his performances in The African Queen and The Caine Mutiny. He was good in Treasure of the Sierra Madre although I feel I'm committing a form of blasphemy if I make the criticism that it's a rather sluggish film in places and its adoring reputation is something I find rather baffling amongst movie buffs.
Guest 24708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 20:10   #31
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

He was good in Treasure of the Sierra Madre although I feel I'm committing a form of blasphemy if I make the criticism that it's a rather sluggish film in places and its adoring reputation is something I find rather baffling amongst movie buffs.

Well I am someone who adores the film so I have to say that I don't find it sluggish so much as deliberately paced. In any case, I could happily watch Bogart and Walter Huston handling dialogue this good for several more hours than the film already lasts, if I could.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 22:22   #32
Guest 24708
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Well I am someone who adores the film so I have to say that I don't find it sluggish so much as deliberately paced. In any case, I could happily watch Bogart and Walter Huston handling dialogue this good for several more hours than the film already lasts, if I could.
Good for you. I'm glad you got more out of it than I did. Deliberate pacing is one thing but I found stretches of TOTSM tedious, despite the incidental pleasures offered by the dialogue and some of the performances. I should point out that I do actually like the film. It has several points of interest as far as I'm concerned but at over two hours I think the material is stretched too thin.
Guest 24708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 18:19   #33
Guest 43823
Trusted User

Seven great movies from Bogart:
The Big Sleep
Casablanca
Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Sabrina
Maltese Falcon
To Have And Have Not
High Sierra

Those films are very good reason why Bogart is (was) one of the greatest actors - ever.

There are still many good films such as Dark Passage and Key Largo. Only African Queen was a little disappointment. I mean it wasn´t so bad but it was too average.

Last edited by handmadeGod; 15-08-2004 at 20:32.
Guest 43823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 21:51   #34
The-Colonel
Trusted User

My favourite is Casablanca, but Key Largo and Treasure of Sierra Madre are close.
Not forgetting Big Sleep Maltese Falcon oh this is harder than i thought. so many classics.
The-Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 19:15   #35
Guest 7526
Gusset Guru

Very difficult question. The Maltese Falcon is one of my favorite movies of all time; but I'd also have to consider To Have or Have Not, The Big Sleep, Casablanca and Key Largo.

Always had mixed feelings about TTOSM but it's been a while since I watched it; maybe time for another viewing...
Guest 7526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 21:44   #36
Guest 44410
Flim + Flam = Flapdoodle

This Thread illustrates that the guy appeared in a quite breathtaking list of classic movies from Hollywood's classic era.

The Caine Mutiny followed after that great era was over - but he puts in a memorable performance here.

"Ah, but the strawberries! That's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes, but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt, and with geometric logic, that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox did exist!"

-

Last edited by ScreenTest; 19-08-2004 at 14:24.
Guest 44410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2004, 10:33   #37
Guest 4252

I just watched the Region 2 'In a Lonely Place'. It is one fantastic film, and the transfer is unbelievable. There's a short feature on the DVD about the restoration work, and another feature which is an appreciation of the film by Curtis Hanson. A must-have DVD, IMO. Nick Ray rocks.
Guest 4252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2004, 12:45   #38
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
Which region are you referring to there John, or doesn't it matter? Taped this when it was on tv last year and must've watched it 4 times already! Really must get the dvd!
Sorry Richie, just caught this; as Denny alludes it doesn't matter which region.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2004, 13:24   #39
Guest 10177
the Doctor is in!

I don't think he Bogart gave a better performance than Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but he did make films which were more fun (not that Treasure... isn't fun, because it's ace). The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon are remarkable cinema, funny, exciting and brilliantly paced.

I have a soft spot for Beat the Devil - Robert Morley and Peter Lorre are almost too funny in support and the whole thing has a campy, self-referential air. Quite unusual for the period, and well worth a watch.
Guest 10177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2004, 15:56   #40
Guest 42843
Banned

Treasure!

"We don't need no stinking badges!"
Guest 42843 is offline   Reply With Quote