Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 18-07-2004, 12:02   #1
Guest 33484
Trusted User

Bogart's best film?

I've recently started to buy some of Bogart's DVD greats, such as Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep (all R2, with Casablanca being the recent 2-disc special edition).

From those I would say that Casablanca is his best, and as well as being one of the best films ever made it also serves as the perfect example of Bogart's suave and sophisticated screen persona.

But what is your favourite Bogart film - and what DVDs featuring the star do you recommend?
Guest 33484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 12:05   #2
Guest 10384
Generation Terrorist

'To Have and To Have Not' - the chemistry between Bogart & Bacall is soooo electric,and the script is sharp as a razor!!
Guest 10384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 12:09   #3
Guest 33530
Banned

My favourite Bogart film is They Drive By Night (The film that gave Ann Sheridan her break). In it, Bogart plays one of two brothers who are indepentdent wagon drivers who are trying to make enough money to keep a loan shark away from taking their truck. Unfortunately, though, Bogart is hardly in the second half.
Guest 33530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 12:12   #4
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Bogart's best ? I'd go for the extraordinary "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", a brilliantly cynical and exciting treasure hunt which ends up as a poisonous character study. Great dialogue throughout and Bogart's greatest characterisation.

Having said that, Bogart was great in so many films that I couldn't choose just one. Although his range has sometimes been called into question, there's a world of difference between his performances in "The Maltese Falcon" - the archetypal world weary good guy private eye - and "In A Lonely Place" - where he is self-hating and misanthropic in equal measure. Both those films are superb. Apart from the two you mention above, try "To Have And Have Not", "Key Largo", "Dark Passage", "High Sierra" and "Knock On Any Door". For a generous slice of good natured ham, not to mention an exciting adventure story, "The African Queen" is hard to beat.

His acclaimed performance as Captain Queeg in "The Caine Mutiny" has never really done much for me though.

Last edited by Mike; 18-07-2004 at 12:15.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 12:15   #5
Guest 33484
Trusted User

Is it true that Treasure of the Sierra Madre is only available on R1?
Old 18-07-2004, 12:17   #6
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

No, it's in the second R2 Bogart box set, along with "To Have And Have Not" and "They Drive By Night". It's got a commentary and a very good making-of documentary narrated by John Milius. The R1 is a great package though, coming with a superb 2 hour documentary on director John Huston.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 12:19   #7
Guest 33484
Trusted User

I recently saw Huston in Chinatown - great performance. I think I'll make TOTSM my next Bogart purchase, perhaps along with To Have and Have Not and Key Largo.
Old 18-07-2004, 13:18   #8
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Can't really add to much, except to recommend The Roaring Twenties - it's Cagney's film, but Bogart really goes for his part as the pantomime villain, and The Big Sleep which has some of the slickest (and best delivered) dialogue in the history of a genre with snappy lines:

Vivian: I don't like your manners.
Marlowe: And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me or drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

To Have And To Have Not is brilliant not least because it's one of the best (non)performances of a couple falling in love that I've ever witnessed.

(Nice in 'ere innit?)

Last edited by John Hodson; 18-07-2004 at 14:39.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 16:32   #9
dustjunkie
Lemon

My favourite is The African Queen
dustjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 08:41   #10
earl_roberts2002

My favourite Bogard is the already mentioned The Big Sleep. I also loooooooove The Maltese Falcon. High Sierra is great too.
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 11:44   #11
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Another vote here for The Big Sleep.
balstino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 12:12   #12
BigH
Trusted User

I'd say Casablanca is the best film he's starred in (a perfect film), but my favourite character he's played must be Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 12:59   #13
Guest 40223
Trusted User

Three Giant thumbs up for The Big Sleep from me. The script is sharper than a meat cleaver factory!

I'm starting a campaign to re-introduce the fedora to younger generations, who's with me...................................!
Guest 40223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 13:21   #14
Guest 30303
Trusted User

my favourite is The Maltese Falcon but i can't say I've seen them all.

When are the films in the box sets being made available as individual discs in Region 2 ?
Guest 30303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 17:00   #15
Guest 25947
Banned

I've really got to give this to "Treasure of the Siera Madre". An outstanding piece of film making.
Guest 25947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 17:48   #16

I'd have to agree with Mike, it's difficult to pick one film. My favourites include Casablanca (of course) The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo, Treasure of the Siera Madre, The Roaring Twenties (for me it's 50-50 Bogart and Cagney) and Sahara (a good example of how his talent could carry an otherwise forgetable WWII film).

I've only ever seen The Big Sleep once a long time a go and the plot didn't seem to make sense to me, this was in the early 80's and videos were just about becoming affordable otherwise I'd have taped it to watch it again in the hope I could follow the plot.

And although I like The African Queen I found some of Bogarts performance a little grating where he played against type. There are some scenes where he drops his tough, cool exterior.

I've not seen To have and Have Not and They Drive by Night what's the best to go for R1 or R2?
Old 19-07-2004, 17:48   #17
Guest 28402
Banned

'Casablanca' without question. The incredible way you literally watch this selfish, stubborn and hard-nosed character fall apart over the course of the movie is something wonderful. Bogarts finest moment!

I also enjoyed 'Treasures of the Sierra Madre' many years ago but was a little disappointed when I got the dvd recently. It just wasn't as good as I remembered. The old fella 'Howard' (Huston's father) steals the show I'm afraid. Its a good yarn about greed though.

regards FRANC
Guest 28402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 18:01   #18
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
I've not seen To have and Have Not and They Drive by Night what's the best to go for R1 or R2?
Unless you go for the R2 Bogart Box Set 2 (with TTOTSM), you'll have to go R1 for the individual discs Cornelius, and quite excellent they are.
Old 19-07-2004, 18:11   #19
Guest 15513
Trusted User

The Big Sleep
To have and have not
Treasure of the Sierra Madre

All classics -
from TOTSM
(Bogart to Bandit lamely pretending to be a sherrif) 'Where are your badges?'
'BADGES?....We don't need no stinking badges!'
(Bandits proceed to rob Fred C Dobbs)
Guest 15513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 18:30   #20
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius
And although I like The African Queen I found some of Bogarts performance a little grating where he played against type. There are some scenes where he drops his tough, cool exterior.
I thought that his playing against type was one of the reasons to like The African Queen; you could say the same of The Treasure of The Sierra Madre, where his character runs the whole gamut of emotion (and that's only the first 20 minutes).

Another thumbs up for In a Lonely Place (which, if you haven't seen it, you are missing out on not only a terrifc performance but a superb transfer), and anyone caught Dead End recently? It's the mad, bad and dangerous to know Bogie, and he's magnificent. Pity it's not yet on DVD...

Last edited by John Hodson; 19-07-2004 at 18:40.