Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Notices

Old 26-11-2008, 19:37   #41
deanos
You can call me Deano

Woolies will be missed in our town, its only a small town so its the only place to gets kids clothes and toys and other bits and bobs.

Will hit the elderly the most if it goes i rekon
Old 26-11-2008, 19:41   #42
tizza
cranial deficient

Its a shame, woolies were a national institution. In 10 yrs time the whole country will be unemployed and rely on online retailer so nobody will ever need to leave the house. In fact its getting that way now.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 20:00   #43
d.boyd1uk
[DVDF]boyde2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza View Post
Its a shame, woolies were a national institution. In 10 yrs time the whole country will be unemployed and rely on online retailer so nobody will ever need to leave the house. In fact its getting that way now.

Funny you should say that, was in ASDA this morning and I couldnt believe how many people were packing internet orders, few months back you would see the odd couple, this morning there must have been about 20 packers.
d.boyd1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 20:15   #44
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

I was in a large Woolworths tonight, and they did not have loads of stock, loads of out of stock etc. gutted as i love them for the kids presents at christmas.

BUT they were a jack of all trades, no specific good pricing on anything
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 20:54   #45
Guest 2575
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
The take over of Northern Rock was for completely different reasons, it was to provide financial stability in the banking system (which seems to have worked pretty well ).
I work for EUK and we got the news this evening.

EUK is the wholesale division and we provide Smiths, Sainsburys, Asda, Zavvi, Morrisons and Asda with product. We make an annual profit of £30m and we've still gone into administration because of Woolies.

Hilco wanted to take on the Woolies debt [leaving the profitable EUK and 2entertain in business], but the banks wouldn't play ball. The government have bailed out the banks, but the banks are not bailing out anyone else.

Last edited by jon smith; 26-11-2008 at 20:57.
Guest 2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:06   #46
wen
What?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanos View Post
Woolies will be missed in our town, its only a small town so its the only place to gets kids clothes and toys and other bits and bobs.

Will hit the elderly the most if it goes i rekon
+1 , small midland town, stuffed unless you want to go out of town shopping.
wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:06   #47
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon smith View Post
I work for EUK and we got the news this evening..
At least you were told. My Brothers wife to be works for Woolworths and all they knew today was what the customers were telling them, and it wasn't until she got home that she found out for herself what has been happening. I guess the staff are the last to know.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:07   #48
d.boyd1uk
[DVDF]boyde2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon smith View Post
I work for EUK and we got the news this evening.

EUK is the wholesale division and we provide Smiths, Sainsburys, Asda, Zavvi, Morrisons and Asda with product. We make an annual profit of £30m and we've still gone into administration because of Woolies.

Hilco wanted to take on the Woolies debt [leaving the profitable EUK and 2entertain in business], but the banks wouldn't play ball. The government have bailed out the banks, but the banks are not bailing out anyone else.
sorry to hear that. and yes i agree, there should have been some help.
d.boyd1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:09   #49
Guest 2575
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
At least you were told.
I found out from the BBC website and had to tell my bosses what was happening. These things are always a shambles [and always on online before the staff know]
Guest 2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:21   #50
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Very, very sad, Where else could you buy a CD, a Star Wars toy, gardening gloves, a giant toblerone and iron-on pocket repair material in the same shop?
Wilkos? (Wilkinsons), almost, but not the CD. Apart from entertainment, which I don't think they do in store, they've been a successful high-street cross between Homebase, Woolies and Boots (in that they sell "almost everything" for home and bathroom cabinet) for some time. I always go in there for run of the mill household staples. I think the bigger Asda stores could probably provide everything you list as well (if it was a chart or recent chart CD).

The two Woolworths I regularly went in were in Kingston/Thames and Stratford/East London generally after games, which they rarely had any stock of, so I always had to go to HMV and pay a couple of pound more but at least they had stock. I think the only time I was succesful in Woolies was when I got Wii Play in Woolies Stratford by chance when nobody else had it, so occasionally they delivered, but not often.

The only thing that Woolworths could be relied upon was to have a really good random pocket money sweets dept, which must have lost them money because there was always an unhealthy littering of half opened packets throughout the section where people had nicked stuff.

Last edited by KennyVader; 26-11-2008 at 21:25.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:24   #51
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,379 Times in 1,129 Posts
MFI now in administration

Last edited by Boink!; 26-11-2008 at 21:24.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:43   #52
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Despite their 'order and collect' service being so backwards and all the staff asking if you want stamps or mobile top-ups I like/liked Woolies

If we are out with the kids we always seem to end up in a Woolies.

I was in one today. Bought a bottle of Gatorade and considered picking up the Godfather BD BS for 30 sheets.

Christmas won't be the same without Woolies

EDIT: Dunno why WH Smiths 'could' be next, they are esentially a newsagent and stationary set up (without fanny mags).

Last edited by Ste7en; 26-11-2008 at 21:59.
Ste7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 21:55   #53
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I'd imagine Woolies will survive as a much smaller chain.

Any half decent mangement company should be able to position Woolworths to be viable high street store and drop a lot of the ranges they do and focus on fewer things better. (For example their really good for kids clothes but the stores are a badly kept mess.)
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 22:01   #54
deanos
You can call me Deano

I think Woolies would survive better in small towns with little competition , they must suffer more in the larger towns ?
Old 26-11-2008, 22:28   #55
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Wilkinsons are pretty rare in this part of the country, Asda aren't on the high street, and Poundland smells funny....

Woolies were pretty unique...
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 22:30   #56
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

It's not Poundland that smells funny...
Old 26-11-2008, 22:52   #57
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Woolies were pretty unique...
Well yes, unique in that not many shops manage to have their shelves quite so full of stock that mostly should be in a Pound shop, but isn't priced at a pound ...
Old 26-11-2008, 22:58   #58
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
Wilkos? (Wilkinsons), almost, but not the CD. Apart from entertainment, which I don't think they do in store, they've been a successful high-street cross between Homebase, Woolies and Boots (in that they sell "almost everything" for home and bathroom cabinet) for some time. I always go in there for run of the mill household staples. I think the bigger Asda stores could probably provide everything you list as well (if it was a chart or recent chart CD).
My local Wilkinsons does CD's but not chart stuff. Sort of compilation things that you never see anywhere else. There is also random DVD section and some xbox1 and PC games (word puzzle and the like). Larger stores again have full on 'entertainment' sections like Woolies used to have.

I could actually see Wilkinsons being next to go under, they do pound world stuff as well (for slightly more than £1) and its so cheap they can't actually be making money. I bought a double duvet in there for £3 the other week.

I could see WH Smith closing their larger stores and concentrating on their train station robbery business, as they're always full of desperate commuters, but the large department store type things are desperately sad.

Last edited by KRW; 26-11-2008 at 23:00.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 23:02   #59
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

When I was in Woolies today the news was on and the faces on some staff were not good when the heard what was going on
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 23:09   #60
KennyVader
Insomniac

No way should WH Smiths be in any trouble with the immense footfall they must be getting with many of the branches now having the town post office shoe-horned in the back. Unless the post office queues being so bad mean everyone's picking up their paper/magazine on the way in, reading it in the PO queue, so not bothering to buy it any more when they eventually leave the store.