Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Finance Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 19-09-2008, 20:09   #61
tizza
cranial deficient

I also think aldi and lidl are crap, mainly, they dont do bogof's as they think they are much cheaper than anywhere else, and they food is garbage youve never heard of. Nettos are ok as they have good brands and some deals.

Tesco are the best when it comes to value IMO, with multi buys, bogofs etc.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:12   #62
Hot Ice
Incoherrent member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
I don't want to quote examples as people will then think i'm directly insulting them. But here's a few "what the **** ?" examples in the "are you cutting back on your spending ?" thread and certainly at least one in this one.
Well I can't really see any that indicate subnormal intelligence. Would help, I'm sure, if you would point one out.

Some are very obvious and should have been implemented long ago but that's our society and culture and we have been groomed to live out of our means and it's so easy to do. Which is why we are where we are now.
Hot Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:13   #63
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Anyone else feel like a pauper when shopping at Sainsburys lately, with all the 'feed your family crap meals for a fiver' signs up everywhere?

Quote:
the way some people are treating this supposed "credit crunch" (total effects so far to me : about £50 a month worse off than before i guess; so **** all) you'd think they were preparing for the end of civilisation.

Some of things i 've read of people doing make me think they are mentally ill rather than just frugal.
To quote Viz again, it recently gave the definition of 'Credit Crunch' as 'an apocalyptic global meltdown of unprecedented severity which means that a multipack of oranges that used to cost 26p now costs 29p'.

Last edited by KRW; 19-09-2008 at 20:16.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:14   #64
splobber
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Ice View Post
Well I can't really see any that indicate subnormal intelligence. Would help, I'm sure, if you would point one out.
Feel free to quote mine hookbeak.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:15   #65
Hot Ice
Incoherrent member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splobber View Post
Feel free to quote mine hookbeak.
You cheat
Old 19-09-2008, 20:21   #66
pyrogena
Quite angry

Quote:

Some are very obvious and should have been implemented long ago but that's our society and culture and we have been groomed to live out of our means and it's so easy to do. Which is why we are where we are now.
Where did he say it indicated subnormal intelligence? He used the phrase mentally ill.

Bloody hell, I've just wasted electricity setting that straight
pyrogena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:23   #67
Hot Ice
Incoherrent member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrogena View Post
Where did he say it indicated subnormal intelligence? He used the phrase mentally ill.

Bloody hell, I've just wasted electricity setting that straight
My mistake
Wasting such power, you fiend!
Old 19-09-2008, 20:23   #68
Just Passing
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOV View Post
Sod it life is to short to skrimp and save - just live within your means and enjoy life.
Well said. I am sick of everyone advising me that I should turn all the lights off and creep around in the dark or put on layers of clothes and sit in the cold. I happen to like sitting naked in a well lit room thank you.

I can't understand people that actually unplug every single appliance when it isn't in use and then boast about saving a couple of units of electricity. You will probably wear your appliances out quicker than me and / or wear out your sockets.
Old 19-09-2008, 20:26   #69
pyrogena
Quite angry

Quote:
My mistake
Wasting such power, you fiend!
It's ok though, I'm sat in bed writing this thus saving on central heating.
Old 19-09-2008, 20:29   #70
anephric
Kidney Thief

Leaving TVs and such on standby is a horrific waste of lekky and terribly bad for the environment, old bean.

£50 a month worse off may not sound bad to some people lighting cigars with wads of fivers and gnawing on the bones of the proletariat, but I've had some pretty crappy jobs circa £12-14k where that was the difference between keeping your head above water or not.
Old 19-09-2008, 20:39   #71
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza View Post
Tought ****! Im not here to fund their villas.

That sandwich shop you just put out of business by not buying their product sack people.
They used to buy product from a "third party".

"Third party" are employing people, but they can't employee people any longer, as sandwich shop is no longer buying sandwiches to sell.

"Third party" sack people.

An Indivdual works in a factory making bread.... there is no demand for bread as the sandwich business is flawed! As consumers will not buy sandwiches.

Sack the factory workers in the bakers!

Now no need for grain as bread isn't in demand.

Farmers can't sustain crops as they arn't paid enough.

Factory workers flood the work force, thus diluting menial jobs. Taxes rise to fund the unemployed...etc

Happy now?

Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:57   #72
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menu View Post
Amazed at how people lived before the "Credit Crunch"

We have always done most of the things people are saying they are doing now
Yep, some of it does remind me of Money Saving "Expert", I sadly signed up and every week I get an e-mail with a headline like "Save £500 per week", which then says "Surveys show that the average family sets fire to almost five hundred pounds worth of used bank notes each week, to save money, stop burning your money!" plus a few tips on how to try and weasel out of your debt.

Last edited by neilalford; 19-09-2008 at 20:57.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:58   #73
ArthurDent
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
I also think aldi and lidl are crap, mainly, they dont do bogof's as they think they are much cheaper than anywhere else, and they food is garbage youve never heard of. Nettos are ok as they have good brands and some deals.

Tesco are the best when it comes to value IMO, with multi buys, bogofs etc.
The BOGOFs are at the expense of the supermarket suppliers, and have nothing at all to do with Tesco / Asda / Sainsburys doing us a favour. I'm guessing the main reason that the likes of Aldi / Lidl don't do BOGOFs is because they don't have the same leverage against their suppliers like the aforementioned stores. Saying that stores are crap because they don't do BOGOFs is
ArthurDent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 21:06   #74
Guest 1826
VISA's most wanted man

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
but I've had some pretty crappy jobs circa £12-14k where that was the difference between keeping your head above water or not.
Am only on 16k now, but can afford to live fine. I still go out, run a motorbike, eat well - just not an idiot while shopping. £12k isn't really that bad to a lot of people, although I suppose it depends on who else you're supporting. Certainly I know a fair few people on less than 15k.
Guest 1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 21:08   #75
owenjt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menu View Post
Always buy Diesel / Petrol at the cheapest place, but don't drive miles to get it and only put in a Tenner
Check www.petrolprices.com for the lowest price in your area. Also don't fill up your car completely. By filling up more often and putting less in, your car will run more efficiently.
owenjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 21:10   #76
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
the way some people are treating this supposed "credit crunch" (total effects so far to me : about £50 a month worse off than before i guess; so **** all) you'd think they were preparing for the end of civilisation.
I seem to be a bit better off each month TBH, the Governments 10% tax rate cock up kicked in a while back, which was nice, now their fix for the cock up is just kicking in, which is also nice, interest rates are up, dividend payments seem to be up, Tesco Double-Up vouchers and Virgin Wine Bank are reducing my wine costs (which is about 20% of my monthly spare money), plus I earn a little bit more due to inflation.

So, as long as mortgage interest rates don't go insane (10%+), I feel fairly confident.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 21:48   #77
tizza
cranial deficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
Saying that stores are crap because they don't do BOGOFs is
Why? Should I shop at aldi out of sympathy?
Old 19-09-2008, 21:52   #78
pyrogena
Quite angry

Quote:
Why? Should I shop at aldi out of sympathy?
First you single handily bring down the sandwich business and now you're going after aldi. Shame on you!
Old 19-09-2008, 21:58   #79
tizza
cranial deficient

Reminds me when I was on the dole and living in a grotty damp flat in Jesmond (for those who dont know, its 'allegedly' a desirable area, but its not really most of its a dump) and this idiot knocked at the door selling dishcloths and other tat. When I said no he said 'aah howay mate, Ive been unemployed and Im trying to get back on my feet' I said 'Im still unemployed, how about I sell you some of my old crap I dont want?'

He didnt buy nowt tho.
Old 19-09-2008, 22:18   #80
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrogena View Post
First you single handily bring down the sandwich business and now you're going after aldi. Shame on you!
Don't underestimate tizza!
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote