Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 19:39   #1
Gragis
Trusted User

E-bay insist I am a business - I'm not

Hi

My wife decided to sell some of her crafting stamps, papers, embellishments etc and has listed 238 items in the last week and E-bay have now written to advise :-

eCommerce is governed by laws which lay down the obligations and rights of buyers and sellers. These laws apply to all internet trading including activity on eBay, but the details vary for both buyers and sellers depending on whether the seller is considered to be operating as an individual or as a business.
Legally, you are considered to be operating as a business if you do any of the following:
• sell items that you have bought to resell
• make items yourself and sell them, intending to make a profit
• are a trading assistant
• buy items for your business

eBay offers two different kinds of user accounts: private and business. Both are free to open, but business accounts offer tailored site functionality specifically designed to help you meet your legal obligations as a business seller.

She has had her account since June 2002 and in the time she sold 53 items. She has also purchased over 1,600 items!!!!! Is it because she decided to have a clearout? Is there anything that can be done to get them to change their mind? Offer to deleted 150 items and list them a few at a time over the next few months?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Gragis; 06-03-2010 at 19:34. Reason: less formal title
Gragis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25   #2
Guest 68644
Trusted User

Ignore any private companies who use "legal" and "law" or anything similar with copy and paste emails or letters.

Saying that if you like eBay then you should sort this by giving them a phone. I'm sure they'll help.
Guest 68644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:51   #3
Gragis
Trusted User

I tried calling last night but got through to a US call centre. The lady I spoke to said I was to complete a response form which my wife has already completed and sent, with no success. I'll try another e-mail asking which EU law they were quoting.

Thanks for the response.
Old 07-03-2010, 13:03   #4
Guest 68644
Trusted User

Phone in normal UK working hours and you'll either get someone in the UK or someone with more knowledge about the UK.

I'd say you are wasting your time emailing as their automated system is awaiting your response. You need input from a real person @ eBay.

www.saynoto0870.co.uk For the best number. I have one of those "eBay Star" numbers and those people are always very helpful in the UK.

And if this is your partner's private business then it's her business over the phone too.
Guest 68644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 17:45   #5
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Just playing devil's advocate - if you were buying something on ebay and the seller had listed over 200 items in the past week - might you not suspect they were really a business?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 18:07   #6
Gragis
Trusted User

I appreciate the comment but it is simply that she is getting rid of stuff she's been accumulating over the years and no longer needs. E-bay has classed me as a "top seller" which I don't understand as technically I have only sold 53 items since 2002 and if none of the items sell I'll be no further forward with my count.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38   #7
Gragis
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innes View Post
Phone in normal UK working hours and you'll either get someone in the UK or someone with more knowledge about the UK.

I'd say you are wasting your time emailing as their automated system is awaiting your response. You need input from a real person @ eBay.

www.saynoto0870.co.uk For the best number. I have one of those "eBay Star" numbers and those people are always very helpful in the UK.

And if this is your partner's private business then it's her business over the phone too.
I've called twice now and both times I've ended up speaking tp someone in the Philippines. Have had to re-email my inital request so will see what happens.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:00   #8
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,178 Times in 831 Posts
Don't like that e-mail message at all from ebay, the rules on whether you are operating a business are not that simplistic.

R
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15   #9
Guest 13908
ermmm.....

The details in the first post read like advice, I'm not seeing anything that says they are forcing you to be a business.
Guest 13908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:24   #10
Guest 17513
Trusted User

I think you have assumed they are classing you as a business.

I would just fire out a rambling e-mail in response thanking them for their kind attention but pointing out that your wife has decided to have a large clear out of her hobby making stuff and wanted to list as much as she could in one go.

the more rambling and unprofessional the e-mail, the better.
Guest 17513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 14:06   #11
Gragis
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsterUK View Post
The details in the first post read like advice, I'm not seeing anything that says they are forcing you to be a business.
I only put in part of the e-mail received. It did start off with - As part of an ongoing review of the eBay trading activities of our top sellers, we are requesting that you upgrade your account from a private account to a business account. There is no charge for this upgrade, and it will only take a few minutes of your time.

Please follow the steps below to upgrade your account to a business account by 11 March 2010.

If you do not upgrade your account by 11 March 2010, please note that you will be unable to sell on eBay until you complete the upgrade.

Therefore I assume that I am being forced into an upgrade or I can no longer sell using the account. I've asked what "top sellers" means as 53 items sold in 8 years appears a tad small.
Old 09-03-2010, 23:41   #12
Cade Foster
Trusted User

Playing devils advocate herebut listing 238 items in a week when a total of 53 items over 8 years has been sold before does look like business like.

I am all for having clear outs but its a huge clear out.

Last edited by Cade Foster; 09-03-2010 at 23:41.
Cade Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 17:26   #13
Guest 358
Burn Noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade Foster View Post
Playing devils advocate herebut listing 238 items in a week when a total of 53 items over 8 years has been sold before does look like business like.

I am all for having clear outs but its a huge clear out.
It's probably flagged up as unusal activity by Ebay's system. If there are multiple instances of the same item it might flag up as well.
Guest 358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 19:27   #14
Gragis
Trusted User

Shake Head

I asked 3 times for an explanation as to why I was a "top seller" and what law they were spouting. Not a single answer and then they have the cheek to send a request - We'd like to ask you to share your opinion on your overall experience with eBay Customer Support and on the response you received from our representative

Muppets!!!