Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 10-06-2015, 20:56   #61
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I quite like it. The only real duff song is Drones. The problem is that it's all too samey, not sounding like other bands, but sounding like themselves. They are musically very talented, but have lacked creativity lately.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:19   #62
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Although people and Muse themselves lament the last album and to a certain degree, elements of the one before, in 30 years time it'll be nice to listen to their output and know that it's not all Origin of Symmetry.
For me their most accomplished Album is Absolution with their most Indie being Origin of Symmetry and as for Blackholes and Revelations, thats like Absolution on steroids. Superb album.

Listened to Resistance the other day and it's a quality listen. They must ensure though they don't follow the George Lucas path in releasing things which they think others will be like due to critisism rather than what they want to.
Saying that though, The Second Law is a dud IMHO so I'm glad they have gone to a heavier sound

Last edited by Steve1977; 11-06-2015 at 07:20.
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:39   #63
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Have only watched the early release vids for some of the new tracks but MUCH prefer what I hear compared to the last two LPs.

Absolution is the Muse LP which holds a special place in my heart. It is absolutely stonkingly good. Stockholm Syndrome live is one of those memorable gig moments that I'll remember for a long time.

As you say, so glad we've got some dirty distorted guitar back.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:04   #64
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975 View Post
Have only watched the early release vids for some of the new tracks but MUCH prefer what I hear compared to the last two LPs.

Absolution is the Muse LP which holds a special place in my heart. It is absolutely stonkingly good. Stockholm Syndrome live is one of those memorable gig moments that I'll remember for a long time.

As you say, so glad we've got some dirty distorted guitar back.
I'd call it very polished and well produced distorted guitar, it's not got any rawness at all in it. They are going to be one of those bands that will never better their early stuff. At least the likes of Radiohead tried something new and kept changing direction and experimenting. I think Muse should move away from what they are doing now and try something different.

Origin of Symmetry > Absolution > Showbiz > Black Holes & Revelations > The Resistance > The 2nd Law

Not sure where the new one fits yet. Probably around about The Resistance.
Old 11-06-2015, 21:45   #65
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkyboy100 View Post
At least the likes of Radiohead tried something new and kept changing direction and experimenting. I think Muse should move away from what they are doing now and try something different.
keep up mate, that's what they did in the last album and everyone complained.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:39   #66
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Listened to the full LP on the way into work this morning. Had only watched the YT videos one by one up to this point. Wow! Love this album. Works so well as a whole. I still don't really like Dead Inside but love Psycho, Reapers, The Handler, but my word Defector, jeez, that sounded SO good on my headphones on the train. Goose-pimply.

Now I see what people mean about Drones. Ok, it obviously sucks but I just considered it a bit of an outro track after The Globalist.

Wouldn't say an LP of two halves, more three-quarters and one-quarter. Will have to listen to Revolt, Aftermath and The Globalist as I'd not heard those in the early previews before.

Much, much better than the last two efforts (which have their moments).
Old 12-06-2015, 08:26   #67
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1977 View Post
keep up mate, that's what they did in the last album and everyone complained.
I didn't find it all that different to the album before it. I complained about that one too.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:42   #68
CLH
La Bender

I love this album now. Can't stop listening. Though there is so much of extremes waiting for the punchline in the riffs and solos.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:11   #69
CLH
La Bender

Oh, Aftermath, that's so Mutt Lange. (i.e. Shania Twain)
Old 12-06-2015, 18:02   #70
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Yeah there's a couple of cheeses on there, but still listenable
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 18:33   #71
gjkendall
Gooner

A week of listening, and it's really growing on me! (Even the second half)

Benefits massively from being blasted on the main home stereo!
Old 12-06-2015, 18:36   #72
CLH
La Bender

Aye, I've been blasting it on a) the Sonos and b) the stereo in my new car.

It's only a VW Up! But it's a Groove Up. 6 speaker, sub in boot, Fender tuned and designed, 300 watts and zero distortion at max volume. Insane. And made for Muse....
Old 15-06-2015, 12:55   #73
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

I was at Download, and it was the best setlist I've ever seen them give in the eight or nine shows I've been to over the years. Totally uncompromised with rocking tracks. We also got the live premiere of The Handler, which was incredible.

It's bitter-sweet in a way, as we know they'll probably go back to wheeling out Undisclosed Desires and Starlight on their next tour.

Full setlist:

Quote:
[Drill Sergeant]
Psycho
The Handler
(Live Debut)
New Born
(Ashamed+Microphone Fiend riff outro)
[Interlude]
Hysteria
(Back in Black riff outro)
Micro Cuts
(Tour Debut)
Dead Star
Agitated
(Not on Setlist)
Citizen Erased
(Tour Debut)
Munich Jam
Dead Inside
Supermassive Black Hole
Mercy

Time Is Running Out
(Heartbreaker riff intro)
Reapers
Stockholm Syndrome
(Township Rebellion riff outro)

Encore:

[JFK]
Uprising
(Extended outro)
Plug In Baby
Knights of Cydonia

(Ennio Morricone's Man With a Harmonica intro)

Last edited by ourmatetone; 15-06-2015 at 13:00.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 12:53   #74
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

Had the album on loop in the car to get used to it, and this is how it is for me now after a dozen or so listens...

Dead Inside - I skip this song now. I really hate it with a passion, it makes me cringe, and I really wish they'd stop interjecting some of their songs with little Queen moments (those little zoomy harmony vocal bits, don't know the technical name).

Drill Sergeant - Waste of time, why name it as a track that you can actually buy on Amazon for 99p? (Maybe an Amazon thing but nyah who cares)

Psycho - Took me a while to get over the drill sergeant screaming bits but I really like it now. I'd still like it better without those bits.

Mercy - Highlight of the album, love it, perfect pop/rock song imo.

Reapers - Starts off great and sort of descends into a Stockholm Syndrome clone and whilst I like it it's nothing like as good as SS. Awful solo makes me want to eat my own fist!

The Handler - A decent song but not blown away by it, pretty much a copy of the In Your World hammer-on/solo bit in the middle.

Defector - Pretty boring with annoying Queen bits again, but good solo.

Revolt - S'alright, don't hate it, don't love it.

Aftermath - Wake me up when it's over! Skip it! Don't know if they are trying for the rom com soundtrack market here or what!

The Globalist - Is this for a new Lion King film or something? I don't get it. Boring dross, then a cool riff and back to dross.

Drones - Oh ffs really?!?!

Overall 4/10
Old 24-06-2015, 21:07   #75
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Still havent got the album yet but will do soon - got all the others afterall. Trying to drip feed myself new tracks and this week I finally got round to listening to Defector....oh my. What a ******** great song!

Love the tune to it, some people detect a Queen vibe and so do I! But when it's so melodic but with Muse's signature guitar riffs, it's just unbelievable and I love the sentiment too of being free from mind control, manipulation etc. Superb
Old 25-06-2015, 07:38   #76
Bravoman
Trusted User

Was given Drones for Father's Day. Loved it straight off! It's on loop at the minute on my iPod!
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:23   #77
ourmatetone

A couple of weeks later, I'm sticking by my initial assessment of "first half good, second half bad".

Everything from Drones they played live at Download (Psycho, The Handler, Mercy, Reapers) was absolutely outstanding though. No show-stoppers like much of the often-played stuff from The Resistance or The 2nd Law.
Old 22-07-2018, 11:25   #78
CLH
La Bender

So, inevitably, Something Human descends into "it's not Muse."

Interesting new direction. I love Drones (85% of it anyway).

Dig Down isn't produced enough, it could soar like Madness (seems to be Madness lite) but it's ok.

Thought Contagion is Panic Station syncopated. It's ok.

If those two are the standout tracks then the new stuff will be Meh. I'm guessing they will be the filler.

Leaving Something Human. It's as pop as Muse have ever done. It'll be Radio 2 playlist

And, you know what, I just can't stop playing it!
Old 24-07-2018, 08:49   #79
ourmatetone

Muse

I really didn’t like Something Human at first, but it has started grow on me. I love the video though, because it’s so ridiculous.

Also, anyone who saw the Drones World Tour film in the cinema a couple of weeks ago was “treated” to a two-second tease of the song as a post-credit scene (if nothing else, it was an amusing troll by the bsbd).

I think my favourite of the three new songs is Thought Contagion. Didn’t like Dig Down much, but it worked surprisingly well when I saw them perform it live last year.

The problem with them drip-feeding songs like this, ages before the album eventually comes out, is that we end up over-analysing what may end up just being the filler tracks.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 14-11-2018 at 15:48.
Thanked once by:
CLH (24-07-2018)
Old 24-07-2018, 16:23   #80
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmatetone View Post
I really didn’t like Something Human at first, but it has started grow on me. I love the video though, because it’s so ridiculous.

Also, anyone who saw the Drones World Tour film in the cinema a couple of weeks ago was “treated” to a two-second tease of the song as a post-credit scene (if nothing else, it was an amusing troll by the bsbd).

I think my favourite of the three new songs is Thought Contagion. Didn’t like Dig Down much, but it worked surprisingly well when I saw them perform it live last year.

The problem with them drip-feeding songs like this, ages before the album eventually comes out, is that we end up over-analysing what may end up just being the filler tracks.
Interesting watching the three videos back to back now for each referencing the other. Matt's Countach and wolf hair appears at the back end of Thought Contagion.

If Dig Down and Thought Contagion turn out to be filler I will be quite happy if the standard of the rest is as high (in terms of hook) as Something Human.

As an album I still think Drones is 85% there. It's more complete than the 2nd Law which kind of winds itself down.....