Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 27-07-2011, 18:05   #61
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

The stop/start aspect is the only this project will ever get going (in the way we want it to, anyway). Paramount aren't just gonna pony up for 178 episodes worth of HD effects work, no studio would.

TOS wasn't exactly a handful of episodes either (70+ IIRC) but the remastering was partially bankrolled by Toshiba and so completion of the project was never in doubt. That money isn't there this time, so it wouldn't surprise me if the success of each TNG:R season pays for the next one. Or not, as the case may be.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 18:12   #62
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I'd love to see the entire thing released (and would much prefer DS9), but I think this is going to be a long project for Paramount and I wouldn't bet on the whole series getting done. The early seasons are in dire need of a massive remastering job (even without new effects), but the early seasons are really quite rubbish from a writing/acting/storytelling/cinematography/lighting point of view (I freakin' hate them), at least in comparison to what came later.

So, I can see a test release making sense, perhaps with 4 episodes spread across the entire series. If after that they decide to go ahead with the full thing, I wonder if they would begin with season 1? Or go straight in with the really popular seasons (3-5). Because season 1 would be a tough sell for me - I would get it for completions sake, but it would be after I've got the really good stuff, I think.

For DS9, I'd probably contribute money towards the project

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 27-07-2011 at 18:17.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 18:14   #63
thescrounger
Trusted User

If CBS are paying for the remastering with an eye for TV broadcast like TOS, then they'll remaster the episodes out of order. Most likely favouring the more popular episodes first.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:23   #64
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

Wouldn't surprise me if they just did the feature length episodes of TNG, you know the season finale/season opener double episodes and a couple of the other mid season ones. They were released as TV movies in the past as well. Might be a starting point.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:28   #65
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Watching a season 1 episode on CBS Action at the moment. The sfx are far more ropey than I remembered. Will be interesting watching in HD.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:36   #66
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt View Post
I paid Ł70 per season?
Aha, my mistake - thought you meant all in (bargains with slimline releases or something).

Quote:
While I am nuts about Trek, I will not start getting into rebuying TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

I am still not convinced that they can do anything other than a upscale just from they need to re-work 178 episodes. I don't want them to start and then stop due to being too expensive.
[/QUOTE]

In 2 minds. Can't imagine they can do the kind of job they did on TOS across 178 episodes. Unless technology is getting better and making that kind of work cheaper all the time. But even so, will surely take quite a few years to do all of it...

I should put the DVDs through my upscaling BR player and see how they look. Surely can't be worse than the copies on the satellite channels...
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 21:24   #67
Alan George
Trusted User

Quote:

I am still not convinced that they can do anything other than a upscale just from they need to re-work 178 episodes. I don't want them to start and then stop due to being too expensive.
I think once they start they'll see it through. To the people working on it, it will get easier as it goes along, as they get used to it. Remember in the last ten years nearly all drama's (UK &US) shot on film have not had a fine cut negative & all post has been done on tape, & I know a lot of series' are being redone in HD. Shows like Star Trek & Buffy have problems with all their special effects, but they're do-able, & it makes a lot of financial sense in the long term.
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 12:26   #68
Wooglie
Rurouni

I already have TNG on DVD so I'd rather have some HD DS9.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 12:39   #69
Guest 18455
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
it makes a lot of financial sense in the long term.
I've yet to be convinced that film and TV companies are all that interested in long term profit at the cost of the short term (just take a look at what happened to the directors cut of TMP for an example). If it proves to be too technically difficult or costly in the short term I wouldn't be surprised if they only remastered several sets of selected episodes rather than whole seasons.
Guest 18455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:43   #70
nwgarratt
Trusted User

They even cancelled the TNG VHS re-releases during season 4. As the DVD versions had come out, they were more popular so they just stopped releasing the VHS sets.

I still cannot see they will have finance and time to do all episodes. I would want to make sure that they were all out before start collecting them.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 15:49   #71
douglasb
Suedehead.

Quote:
I would want to make sure that they were all out before start collecting them.
What if everyone did the same?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:00   #72
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Unfortunatly it will be the same for me. I don't want to start collection then for it to be canned half-way through. Nothing would wind me up more! So when i buy TV shows i always wait for the complete box set or nothing.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:17   #73
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dco_chris View Post
I've yet to be convinced that film and TV companies are all that interested in long term profit at the cost of the short term (just take a look at what happened to the directors cut of TMP for an example). If it proves to be too technically difficult or costly in the short term I wouldn't be surprised if they only remastered several sets of selected episodes rather than whole seasons.
The Motion Picture already exists on Blu-ray.

TNG is forever SD, unless they remaster for HD, and it will happen.
Old 28-07-2011, 18:05   #74
anephric
Kidney Thief

Yes, TMP does, but the director's cut doesn't as they only rendered the new FX in SD. So, not looking to the future.
Old 28-07-2011, 18:09   #75
thescrounger
Trusted User

Yes but the original film is in HD. None of TNG is in HD. So it's not really the same comparison.

There will come a point in the not too distant future when non HD material just won't be given any airtime at all, in the same way that Black & White material is virtually non existant on TV any more.

Last edited by thescrounger; 28-07-2011 at 18:20.
Old 28-07-2011, 18:38   #76
anephric
Kidney Thief

Well, it is kinda the same because the director's cut of TMP will NEVER exist in HD unless someone goes back and redoes the FX again! It does seem shortsighted not to have bothered with rendering in higher resolutions, considering there were already HD TV broadcasts at that point. But it came down to money, which is what we're talking about again now.
Old 28-07-2011, 19:14   #77
thescrounger
Trusted User

Nobody here knows anything about the money or budget for this particular project. We're just assuming it will be a difficult, which it will.

As for TMP directors cut, that will probably get remastered for another release in the future to milk some more money out of the fans. There was no point in wasting money future proofing that Eleven years ago when it was just a DVD project and DVD still hadn't peaked yet.

Last edited by thescrounger; 28-07-2011 at 19:35.
Old 28-07-2011, 19:22   #78
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
Yes but the original film is in HD. None of TNG is in HD. So it's not really the same comparison.
It is only the effects of TNG that is not HD. Assuming all the non SFX scenes are still available, they are all on 35mm. A compromise is same as Firefly where the SFX scenes get upscaled but the rest could be HD.
Old 28-07-2011, 19:29   #79
thescrounger
Trusted User

Yes that could happen. What's that got to do with broadcasters not being interested in a remastered property?
Old 28-07-2011, 19:38   #80
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
Yes that could happen. What's that got to do with broadcasters not being interested in a remastered property?

I was replying to your no TNG not in HD.