Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion > Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix Comments

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 22:36   #1
Guest 10924

[Blu-Ray Review] Alice in Wonderland (60th Anniversary Edition)

Comments attached to the Blu-Ray Review 'Alice in Wonderland (60th Anniversary Edition)' on Movies @ The Digital Fix

A very merry unbirthday to you ...

Click here to read!
Guest 10924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 22:36   #2
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

An excellent review Clydefro - I particularly liked your analysis of how this differs from other Disney fare. I've always loved the opening song for its strange harmonic progression - to date it's the only song I've purchased for myself from iTunes!

I've put in my order for the UK edition which is out later this month.

Last edited by SimonI; 07-02-2011 at 22:37.
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:05   #3
Guest 78472

I think you may have written the most intelligent and insightful review of ALICE that I've ever read. The color scheme of the movie has definitely been skewed for a modern home viewer. I miss the subtlety of the original theatrical presentation I first saw in the summer of 1951. Oh – and the songs, to my ear, have always been top drawer!

Richard Cady
Guest 78472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 18:58   #4
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Fantastic! It's only recently that I discovered that Alice is not considered by Disney (and others) on the same level as the other titles. For me, it's one of my favourite films of my childhood and probably my favourite Disney film. The story is far more sophisticated and the film more artistic than the slightly ordinary approach from other films. You can see why it was popular in the 60's but it really plays with the idea of reality as something that might not be fixed and that allows them to construct some wonderful scenes. The cheshire cat was fantastic and the scene where alice is following a path that is gradually being erased for existance is slightly scary but also thrilling at the same time. How this can be considered less than the more mundane stuff like Cinderella I'll never know.

Along with the Wizard of Oz, Alice is probably the most interesting "kids" story ever devised and sadly the latter isn't as highly regarded as the former. Thankfully the writers of Lost seem to give both stories equal credit.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote