Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 28-03-2011, 11:23   #61
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Anyone else out there reading Grant Morrison's "Batman Inc." comic?

Up to issue four & it is all kinds of awesome. The most unique spin on the Batman genre since I began collecting. However, like recent Morrison output, It probably works better in collected form as it's got very complicated after the simplicity of the first two issues.

Also read the very delayed 2nd issue of Finch's "Dark Knight" comic & it has the same problem as the first. Pretty visuals but very little progression to the story. I suspect DC may have another All-Star Batman & Robin fiasco in the making.

DC's latest Blockbuster "War of the Green Lanterns" also began proper last week, with the first two issues released. Solid start but nothing too exciting so far.

The other big DC "Event", "Flashpoint" also starts soon but it looks very uninspiring. Just an excuse to pump out a zillion elseworld-style comics, which I never really enjoy as i'm more of a continuity-fan.

Last edited by TonyG; 28-03-2011 at 11:24.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 13:58   #62
H Dot
Trusted User

I'm a fan of Batman may wait until it comes in collected format like you said before I buy.
H Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 14:29   #63
Guest 20043
Trusted User

After wasting my time getting the batman+ robi 1-16 and then the return of bruce wayne and all the go home and then the other stuff ...........

I've decieded to wait for the GN versions
Guest 20043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 16:55   #64
dunkle
Trusted User

anyone advise, since "Death of ,,," what all the available Batman (and family) collections are out there
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 17:21   #65
Guest 20043
Trusted User

Dude check the first post i was in the same boat a few months back
Guest 20043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:01   #66
dunkle
Trusted User

Cheers, will have a view
No longer interested in getting the single issue comics (at one point I had every main Batman title from 1974 onwards)

Just after the graphic novels / collections, not just for Batman but also Robin, Nightwing etc etc (although I guess there will not be any Nightwing ones)
Old 30-03-2011, 09:05   #67
dunkle
Trusted User

Well have found

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/20...morrisons.html

which when combined with the link in the first post must be one of the biggest reading orders around, give or take I have most of the stuff
Old 10-04-2011, 20:37   #68
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Figured this would be the best thread to put this in: did anyone go to Kapow this weekend? I did; got Seah Phillips to sign my four Sleeper trades, and Frank Quitely signed my We3 trade (which I already had signed in '08). Picked up Mo-Bot High and got a robot sketch in that, but didn't manage to get any original art or sketches this time. Then on the way home I spent slightly more at Gosh than I intended to.

Wasn't sure what to expect ahead of time, but it was actually a pretty decent con, especially for a first event. Will be interesting to see how it develops next year, see if any more Americans/Canadians make the trip over for it.
Old 11-04-2011, 18:43   #69
Disappearer
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr90 View Post
did anyone go to Kapow this weekend?
I'm considering going next year, was a bit dubious about it this time due to Mark Millar's usual hyperbole, but it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Most websites are reporting what was said/shown at the panels but I'm curious as to what was on the convention floor. Good back issue bargains around?
Disappearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 19:33   #70
Kal El
SuperMember

Was a good weekend. Big chaotic in places like. The no queuing until 45 minutes before a panel or screening wasn't enforced and a bit messy. The Jonathan Ross Quiz Show was funny as anything. The Stan Lee Awards could have been a bit better organised but kind of worked (in a strange way). I predicted Movie X, SUPER. And well worth seeing it.

Overall as a first time it was would give it 8/10.

There was lots of mentioning that they had lost money on it this year so expect higher ticket prices next year.
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 21:13   #71
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Millar said he still wants to keep it cheap next year. The queuing was the biggest problem, whats the point of saying it if they're not gonig to enforce it, and then some staff were and some weren't, leading to confusion. Then peopel were surging through like animals, its only a bloody movie for ***** sake (that was Movie X, but heard they had similar probs with the Thor panel, which I missed because I did what I was told and turned up exactly 45 mins before the panel started, to be told 'sorry sold out')
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 22:03   #72
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappearer View Post
I'm considering going next year, was a bit dubious about it this time due to Mark Millar's usual hyperbole, but it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Most websites are reporting what was said/shown at the panels but I'm curious as to what was on the convention floor. Good back issue bargains around?
I don't buy single issues, so I can't say if there were a decent selection or if they were at decent prices, but there were three, maybe four stalls which had lots of back-issues. I do buy trades, though, and on that count while there were plenty of people selling them, and with decent selections, they weren't discounted very much. Couple of places were 20% off cover price, another couple (including Panini) were 3 for 2, Forbidden Planet seemed to be selling stuff at the same price they'd do so in-store.

My purchases at the show ended up being limited to Mo-Bot High, which I got directly from the chap who did it, a half-price volume of 7 Billion Needles from Orbital's stall, and a five books from Cinebooks as comics shows are the only time I buy their stuff.

The area that I look out for most is the artist's alley, and it was a good one at Kapow. Not a patch on any American shows like NYCC, understandably, but any show that has Sean Phillips, Chris Weston and Duncan Fegredo you can't go wrong with. As I say, hopefully next year some of the talent across the Atlantic will come over - Cameron Stewart was asking on Twitter if it was worth him making his way over, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
Was a good weekend. Big chaotic in places like. The no queuing until 45 minutes before a panel or screening wasn't enforced and a bit messy.
I didn't queue for any panels/screenings myself, but someone did mention this to me that one panel they didn't get on to because they turned up for the queuing time window only to be told the queue was already full. The only real experience I had with queuing was when I queued for two signings; for the Frank Quitely one I started queuing probably 1:40 as it already seemed quite long, and this did mean I missed the Andy Diggle signing and the Misfits cast signing (but it was worth it to add Frank's signature to my already-signed-by-Grant copy of We3). By the time Frank turned up, the queue already went back further than I could see, and staff members were counting the people in it, so I imagine at some point they were cutting it off. I think it might be better for the signings if they had staff members carrying "End of X queue" boards" so it would be easier to tell which queue was which - I had to ask people already queuing if it was the Quietly or the Leinel Yu queue - and so that they could advise people after a certain point that they might not get to the front before the signing ends so they can make the choice before they start queuing.

The other thing I noticed was that despite there being a five-item limit for signings (that's what Millar was saying beforehand, that I saw), some people did still play silly buggers a bit. Chap in front of me had both volumes of All-Star Superman, We3, and a Batman book, which made four, and for item five he had all his Flex Mentallo issues in one bag. Not cricket. Also lots of people used their girlfriends to up their limit, but I'm not sure how that could be legislated against, so have to let that one slide.
Old 14-04-2011, 06:22   #73
new
Sand Dab

Have a few OOP Marvel Hardback Omnibuses (Alias, Ultimates, etc) and Absolutes for sale in the classified thread on this forum HERE.

Cheaper than ebay and Amazon prices if anybody wants to plug those holes in there collection.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 16:13   #74
dunkle
Trusted User

Anyone suggest one of the better comic news / reviews / previews web sites ?
I currently use IGN and like the layout and style, but seems slow in updating some days

Also anyone suggest a site that has reading lists for stories and crossovers ?
Old 15-04-2011, 19:27   #75
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ seems to be the closest to what you want. I quite like some of their quirky columns.

I quite like bleedingcool, but its a bit patchy in terms of coverage. The Beat is really good (http://www.comicsbeat.com/) but not quite what you're looking for.

Manga fans- I notice Tokyopop just closed down. A few years that would have been a massive blow, but they've been declining for a while
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 19:41   #76
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

just read the marvel civil war books and death of captain amercia ones. Very good they were too,although i thought the civil war seemed a bit rushed near the end, the death books were pretty bleak and dark in places and at least i know who the red skull is now in preparatation for the movie.

One thing though, is he a normal looking guy with a rubber mask or not. I just saw a few frames of him in the book as a normal bearded chap with a red skull mask in his hands.

Last edited by Wilson; 15-04-2011 at 19:42.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 11:22   #77
Guest 32525
Trusted User

Is Amazon.co.uk the cheapest for the Walking Dead hardcovers (the twelve issue ones)?

Looking to upgrade my trades, which I'll be lucky to make any money back on, so hoping to do so as cheap as possible.
Guest 32525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 22:32   #78
Guest 14442
Let of some steam bennet!

Just finished reading "Y The last man". What a fantastic read. Not one edition of it was dull.

can anyone recommend anything in a similar genre? I also like Watchmen and Walking dead if it helps pigeon hole me into a comic book style?
Guest 14442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:41   #79
ljp
learned 2 ape the motions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby View Post
Just finished reading "Y The last man". What a fantastic read. Not one edition of it was dull.

can anyone recommend anything in a similar genre? I also like Watchmen and Walking dead if it helps pigeon hole me into a comic book style?
You could try Ex Machina:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_Machina_%28comics%29

It's also by Brian Vaughan. Not really the same genre as Y, but it's an enjoyable read.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 10:25   #80
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Is Amazon.co.uk the cheapest for the Walking Dead hardcovers (the twelve issue ones)?

Looking to upgrade my trades, which I'll be lucky to make any money back on, so hoping to do so as cheap as possible.
I did the same a few weeks back.
The hardbacks are well worth the effort of doing this IMO. Think all in all I was only down buy Ł3 all in all as the paperback trades went for a good price on ebay.
new is offline   Reply With Quote