Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 17-12-2010, 12:42   #821
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

well we could say we had a full driving licence, which would be true. But it doesn't cover HGV vans does it? so in fact

A LIE AND WE ARE FULL OF ***********

stuart did show he had at least far more entrepreneurial ability than anyone else, he had set up companies when 18 and ran them, thats far more impressive than Chris "i got a degree and then worked at a bank".

so harsh he was sacked, for so little reason.

(i had no idea Joanna was 25, i assumed far older and she did fall apart in interviews, she kept harping on that she was a cleaner, rather than run a cleaning company, so suddenly she went from (in my mind) someone who ran an actual company, employing others, to someone who had a couple of cleaning jobs. Thats like saying I run a mystery shopping company, when its just me working a few different jobs.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 12:55   #822
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
so harsh he was sacked, for so little reason.
But he should have been sacked for being a complete and utter **** though.

He got off lightly only being sacked for a technicality.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:00   #823
cjanderson

on whose basis?

isn't Alan sugar also a complete and utter *********** as well?

its either all for tv entertainment (in which case we need brash people for entertainment and we should applaud their ability to entertain us)

or its a proper interview process, which is marred by crap tests and legally dubious interview techniques and random firings, for a crap job at the end.
Old 17-12-2010, 13:15   #824
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
on whose basis?

isn't Alan sugar also a complete and utter *********** as well?

its either all for tv entertainment (in which case we need brash people for entertainment and we should applaud their ability to entertain us)

or its a proper interview process, which is marred by crap tests and legally dubious interview techniques and random firings, for a crap job at the end.
The Apprentice is as much about finding a high quality candidate to work in business as the X-Factor is about discovering musical talent.

It's ALL entertainment now. I think the first few series were excellent and relatively genuine though.

IIRC, last year's winner was found to have exaggerated / lied on his application, and yet Baggs is sacked for a far lesser offence.

Oh, and Alan Sugar is also a bit a nasty piece of work. And don't get me started on Viglen products.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:22   #825
cjanderson

yep, I agree,

The US one is far better, in terms of finding a credible candidate to work in a pretty good job for the Trump organisation. yes, its entertainment but it also its far more realistic and generally Trump makes good decisions.

well bar the 2nd celeb apprentice winner

will we remember Baggs the brand in a year? probably. will we remember Joanna that much? or Liz (nice enough but most people could sell that baby gro thing to a baby website)
Old 17-12-2010, 13:27   #826
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

Quote:

The US one is far better, in terms of finding a credible candidate to work in a pretty good job for the Trump organisation. yes, its entertainment but it also its far more realistic and generally Trump makes good decisions.
Yep. The final 2 of the current US version were both excellent.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:31   #827
KennyVader
Insomniac

Perhaps it's time Big Al was given the boot and they found a new bazillionaire figurehead for the show. One without idiot Viglen friends.

Who still buys Viglen computers anyway.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:38   #828
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Is the american version on UK tv? I've never seen it to compare.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:40   #829
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post
Is the american version on UK tv? I've never seen it to compare.
Some early series were, not seen one for a while though.

The later US series have all been "celeb" ones which I didn't like, because they just seem to turn into "who's got the richest friends on the other end of the telephone". Didn't bother with the very latest US one.

The recent-ish New Zealand one was alright, it was all on youtube for a while.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:50   #830
riz1
Trusted User

SO what reason did he give for firing Liz (and Baggs) last night then on thr "why I fired them" show?
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:58   #831
cjanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
Some early series were, not seen one for a while though.

The later US series have all been "celeb" ones which I didn't like, because they just seem to turn into "who's got the richest friends on the other end of the telephone". Didn't bother with the very latest US one.

the latest one is back to normal people. was good.

Didn't see the last celeb one as i didn't know any of the celebs (bar sharon osborne who i dispise!) the 1st one with piers morgan and lennox lewis/one of the baldwin brothers was excellent.
Old 17-12-2010, 15:01   #832
dean richardson
Trusted User

funny how everyone forgets that last 10 weeks or so of baggs because the interviewer mistakenly said the wrong word.
Baggs was full of BS. "everything i touch turns to sold" - yet he never sold well.
Ignoring the entertainment element he probably was kept in over Liz as he might have a "spark" by how good his company is.
But it turns out he was blagging that a bit as well.
also i bet there is loads of other BS on the cutting floor which wasnt put in.

Baggs was a running joke until one interviewer mistakenly said protocol and sugar saw through him and dumped him big. now people thought he was a genius who should win it

Last edited by dean richardson; 17-12-2010 at 15:01.
dean richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 15:08   #833
Guest 329
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_bas View Post
Can't remember the exact context of the conversation - but if the guy had said 'provider' instead of 'protocol', would his point against Baggs still have stood?

If so I'll take the fact that every now and again someone can muck a word up, it's still different to implying you have a stronger licence than you do and taking ages to back down.

If not, and it actually backs up Baggs' argument, then he was hard done by.
It's more that the guy was arguing a very specific industry technicality: that "fully licensed telecommunications provider" is a specific industry phrase that means having a full license to provide all sorts of telecomms. Baggs provided just internet hook-ups, and was fully licensed for that, which is what he meant. Borden was arguing that using those precise words was misleading, as in the telecomms industry they mean something specific and something more.

Now, I'd have taken that at face value - Borden works in the tech industry and should know about these things. I can see Baggs' point, that he was just trying to make himself sound better and didn't realise the precise meaning of those words, but he should have known better. But then Borden gets the meaning of ISP wrong and says some stuff that shows he knows nothing about telecomms, so you then have to question if what he's picking up Baggs on is valid at all.
Guest 329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 15:17   #834
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean richardson View Post
funny how everyone forgets that last 10 weeks or so of baggs because the interviewer mistakenly said the wrong word.
Baggs was full of BS. "everything i touch turns to sold" - yet he never sold well.
Ignoring the entertainment element he probably was kept in over Liz as he might have a "spark" by how good his company is.

Baggs was a running joke until one interviewer mistakenly said protocol and sugar saw through him and dumped him big. now people thought he was a genius who should win it
No one has forgotten the last ten weeks, everyone here agrees he should have gone weeks ago. The point is that in this particular task he didn't deserve to go based on what we saw. It's all very well talking about what's on the cutting room floor, but it presumably wasn't as TV-worthy as the minor technicality which Bordon picked him up on, which itself is subject to doubt due to Bordon's cock-up with protocol. If he can get that wrong then maybe he can get the telecom thing wrong too.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 15:19   #835
mjb1975
Blandiblub

I did have some sympathy for the manner of Stuart's firing. It did seem a complete change of opinion by Sugar from previous weeks. It was a very minor point to pick up on by Borden IMO. They must trawl through their CVs and try to catch them out - I was thinking 'is that the best you could do?' at the time...

Stuart was a complete (ball)Bagg but he did contribute to three of my favourite Apprentice moments:

1. The invisible calculator in the boardroom early on.
2. '**** off down there you fat ****' - Chris to Stuart in the bus tours task.
3. The 'field of ponies' speech.
Old 17-12-2010, 16:26   #836
bosque
Trusted User

The funniest line in the show was when Claude Littner said to Baggs,"You’re not a big fish! You’re not even a fish!”
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 16:53   #837
GlennSh
Trusted User

I didnt get whether Baggs' previous comment was a mistake ? He said he was a big fish in a small pond, surely he meant to say the opposite ?
Old 17-12-2010, 17:15   #838
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennSh View Post
I didnt get whether Baggs' previous comment was a mistake ? He said he was a big fish in a small pond, surely he meant to say the opposite ?
No, he meant that he was the director of a company, but not a particularly famous or prestigious one (the metaphorical small pond).

If he'd got even a minor job with one of Sugar's companies he'd be a small fish in a big pond.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 18:09   #839
cjanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean richardson View Post

it
but he wasn't blagging about his company? as far as we know it does have a £3m turnover and it does make a profit

sure, he should have gone on some past tasks (though others were usually worse and he therefore probably should have gone over pricing on the tour bus task) but he shouldn't have gone on the interviews.

Didn't they all say after the interviews that he was technically the best and he had some spark? rather than dull but competent chris/stella?
Old 17-12-2010, 19:50   #840
DSG
Stella !

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
Is she just a cleaner, or does she run a proper business (albeit small)? If it's the latter then her not knowing about balance sheets is pretty shocking.
In the early shows they stated she "owned a cleaning company" but this week she was a "contract cleaner". I guess she's just a self employed cleaner who pays an accountant to file her tax return.

DSG is offline   Reply With Quote