Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 07:51   #41
RobDickinson
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 11,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Going to have to reread the first.
Is that after I finish the Black Company novels ( 8.5 left) and I'd queued up GRRM's SOIAF to reread too...
__________________
X360 tag : RobJD
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 09:50   #42
riz1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Durkadukastan
Posts: 8,129
Thanks: 242
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
good luck with the latter part of the Black Company ones.
I found myself zoning out and glossy over the extended battles in the later novels.
I was a little disappointed with the ending although happy to have read them all.

I am not going to reread the GRRM one until I am surer than a sure thing the next one is REALLY coming out in July!! Have already done it once and forgotten the detail a couple of years ago...
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 19:58   #43
RobDickinson
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 11,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Hmm I've read up to about 4 or 5 before, there ok, time fillers, but not inspiring, if they get worse...

As for GRRM prehaps I should wait till the july release...
__________________
X360 tag : RobJD
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 21:32   #44
riz1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Durkadukastan
Posts: 8,129
Thanks: 242
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Have you actually got them all?
I had a right stinker of a time getting hold of book 8 I think (I had the previous as singles not anthologies).
Only printed copy I found was on an obscure Japanese site for silly money!
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 00:02   #45
riz1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Durkadukastan
Posts: 8,129
Thanks: 242
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Just finished it. Good but not as good as the original. I started to zone out a little at many of the non-University settings....
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 00:57   #46
RobDickinson
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 11,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riz1 View Post
Have you actually got them all?
Black company books? Yes, only because of several trips to hay-on-wye (but am reading eversions..)
__________________
X360 tag : RobJD

Last edited by RobDickinson; 20-03-2011 at 00:57.
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 11:40   #47
riz1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Durkadukastan
Posts: 8,129
Thanks: 242
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
i had to get 2 of them as ebooks - before the days that i had an ebook reader so had to convert them to word and print them out!!
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 02:22   #48
RobDickinson
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 11,334
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Well finished the Black company books. And yeah it kind of peters out long before the words finish.

The Heroes was good tho, not quite as good as Joe's other stuff mind.
__________________
X360 tag : RobJD
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 08:04   #49
riz1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Durkadukastan
Posts: 8,129
Thanks: 242
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
i just finished the black magician trilogy. recommended to me by a fantasy author and i did enjoy all 3.
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 08:06   #50
Questor
Pharmatron
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Currently in Melbourne
Posts: 3,179
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I just finished the first 2 'Dwarves' books my Markus Heitz (there are 4 published in German, but only 2 tranlated to English so far)

Very enjoyable, tho his writing for the other races doesn't seem as accomplished as it is for the Dwarves
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 20:48   #51
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie
 
reecie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Playboy Mansion
Posts: 4,177
Thanks: 22
Thanked 79 Times in 60 Posts
I went to the "Out of this World" exhibition at the British Library last weekend. It was really interesting. Probably just over an hour to read most of the exhibits. But it does give you a whole lot more ideas of books to read. So if you have the opportunity it is worth a visit.
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 13:25   #52
roddy
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Undetermined
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 28
Thanked 101 Times in 64 Posts
Just started, and am very much enjoying, Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (which is a pen name for Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, but I've never heard of them either). It's described (by George R. R. Martin in his cover quote) as space opera but so far at least it's more a bit of a noir detective novel set in space. Reminds me a little of Joe Abercrombie in the humor and the world-weary characters.

Setting is a nearish-future solar system - no aliens yet, just human colonies, huge mining conglomerates, etc.

It's first in a trilogy - second book is with the publisher and due to be out next year. Not sure how well the first book stands alone as I haven't finished it.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 18:22   #53
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog
 
Ratfink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: a 42nd St. fleapit XBL: Martyrs
Posts: 7,164
Thanks: 202
Thanked 685 Times in 303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reecie View Post
I went to the "Out of this World" exhibition at the British Library last weekend. It was really interesting. Probably just over an hour to read most of the exhibits. But it does give you a whole lot more ideas of books to read. So if you have the opportunity it is worth a visit.
My OH did that the other day, and has convinced me to go visit myself as it sounds fantastic. She's on a sci-fi binge at the moment and came away with a fabulous glossy book that I think I'll steal and read for myself, regarding sci-fi in film, literature and art. Fortunately I've seen most of the films, so will start introducing the best ones to her.

She's just finished the Dan Simmons books Ilium and Olympos which she adored. I've yet to read them, but having loved the one Simmons book I have read - Song of Kali - and hearing her gushing praise, I'm going to give them a go.

Can anyone recommend anything else essential? She's new to the genre (and I haven't read that much sci-fi either, although I'm looking to change that), although she enjoyed most of the Iain M Banks stuff too.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 00:20   #54
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 2,527
Thanks: 141
Thanked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Just finished Leviathan Wakes (by James Corey) - good fun SF space opera in the vein of Peter Hamilton, crossed with the tv-show Firefly (particularly in the bantering dialogue between shipmates). Had it on kindle and passed it to my dad, who loved it, then my mum, who couldn't put it down.

Daniel Abraham (one of the co-authors) wrote one of my favourite recent set of fantasy novels, the Long Price quartet, and is a great writer. The other co-author is new to me, but will be worth a look when he brings out something on his own.
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 00:56   #55
cliff homewood
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southend
Posts: 5,203
Thanks: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Ratfink a websearch for top sf books will give you a few lists and you'll see the same old names comnig up again and again, Dune for instance is most likely to top these polls (like LOTR is with fantasy), Enders Game is another likely poll topper - which would be my choice.

Heres an example:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...oks_rank1.html

It all depends on taste obviously; Necromancer if you want something harder, Vurt if you want something poetic, although Bradbury is a more accessible poetic writer, Hitchhikers Guide witty, 1984 intellectual or Philip K Dick for a mind**** (look at the film adaptations for examples - Blade Runner, Screamers, Next, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly) - he's all about distorting our reality thus confounding us, but for his best work pick a later short story collection (Minority Report or We Remember it Wholesale (Total Recall) for instance), Flowers for Algernon - emotional.

Let us know if you want more, the top two I mentioned by the way are both more space operay sorts. DUne more epic and sweeping, Enders Game more intimate and intense (some have bad reactions to it). A good sad real-feeling one is Dying Inside. If you want a rollicking read that holds a mirror up to aspects of our society Wild Seed is a good choice (written by an african woman). Theres so many which each bring great things to the table, just take the last two, Dying Inside is about a telepath losing that ability which has defined them and so you see them become broken, isolated (like the rest of us); whereas Wild Seed is a story of immortals spanning centuries;and no its not highlander, they both have total different abilities explaining their longevity, she's a shapeshifter, he takes over peoples bodies (Invasion of the bodysnatchers, there's another - for me though the films cover that story adequately).
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 07:46   #56
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek
 
LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Deep Space Nine
Posts: 8,765
Thanks: 328
Thanked 368 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLaidlow View Post
Just finished Leviathan Wakes (by James Corey) - good fun SF space opera in the vein of Peter Hamilton, crossed with the tv-show Firefly (particularly in the bantering dialogue between shipmates). Had it on kindle and passed it to my dad, who loved it, then my mum, who couldn't put it down.

Daniel Abraham (one of the co-authors) wrote one of my favourite recent set of fantasy novels, the Long Price quartet, and is a great writer. The other co-author is new to me, but will be worth a look when he brings out something on his own.
This sounds great, will check it out, thanks.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 11:11   #57
cliff homewood
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southend
Posts: 5,203
Thanks: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts
I also went to Out of this World at the british library, I thought I knew my potatoes when it came to SF, but turns out I had read things wrong. HG Wells the TIme Machine wasn't the first time machine for instance. Also they had a CD in their shop of SF Writers which I was going to buy, £10.99, but when I looked up on amazon it was only £8.50 retail ??

Amazon.co.uk
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 13:36   #58
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog
 
Ratfink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: a 42nd St. fleapit XBL: Martyrs
Posts: 7,164
Thanks: 202
Thanked 685 Times in 303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
Ratfink a websearch for top sf books will give you a few lists and you'll see the same old names comnig up again and again, Dune for instance is most likely to top these polls (like LOTR is with fantasy), Enders Game is another likely poll topper - which would be my choice.

Heres an example:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...oks_rank1.html

It all depends on taste obviously; Necromancer if you want something harder, Vurt if you want something poetic, although Bradbury is a more accessible poetic writer, Hitchhikers Guide witty, 1984 intellectual or Philip K Dick for a mind**** (look at the film adaptations for examples - Blade Runner, Screamers, Next, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly) - he's all about distorting our reality thus confounding us, but for his best work pick a later short story collection (Minority Report or We Remember it Wholesale (Total Recall) for instance), Flowers for Algernon - emotional.

Let us know if you want more, the top two I mentioned by the way are both more space operay sorts. DUne more epic and sweeping, Enders Game more intimate and intense (some have bad reactions to it). A good sad real-feeling one is Dying Inside. If you want a rollicking read that holds a mirror up to aspects of our society Wild Seed is a good choice (written by an african woman). Theres so many which each bring great things to the table, just take the last two, Dying Inside is about a telepath losing that ability which has defined them and so you see them become broken, isolated (like the rest of us); whereas Wild Seed is a story of immortals spanning centuries;and no its not highlander, they both have total different abilities explaining their longevity, she's a shapeshifter, he takes over peoples bodies (Invasion of the bodysnatchers, there's another - for me though the films cover that story adequately).
Terrific, thanks. Many of those I know of or have read, but please do keep the recommendations coming. I know Dune, and Ender's Game is one I intend to seek out. I've read a fair amount of Philip K Dick and already recommended those, and I also have the Hitchhikers guide books, 1984, and Flowers for Algernon in my collection, which I love. I'll probably go through the 'Sci Fi Masterworks' series and see what I can dig up out of there. Actually read Necromancer years ago, but have been meaning to pick it up again.

Haven't heard of Wild Seed, so will seek that one out too! I should have been more clear, as I've read more classic sci-fi than I realise, I'm just out of touch with more recent authors (at least over the past decade or so) which is where recommendations would be particularly welcome.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 22:43   #59
cliff homewood
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southend
Posts: 5,203
Thanks: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Last decade or so not so hot myself; as I also have generally concentrated on the classics, tried Neal Stephensons Diamond Age a while back which was alright, my mate reckons Altered Carbon is superb, and both of thsoe books make it to top 100 lists, which is why I tried Altered Carbon. Wild Seed I came across because Orson Scott Card recommended it, great book. LIke you I also loved Song of Kali, and I would describe that as evocative fiction, the way he paints Calcutta seems so real (I know the place is, and never been, but I doubt its the Calcutta of the book), and the closest I can get to that is graphic novels - Hellblazer (Contantine), but Dan SImmons has also wrote a classic SF series, try the Rise of Hyperion; its an anthology of stories linked together, but some really good ones in it.

My last discoveries of authors I love were Jeff Noon (Vurt) and Michael Marshall Smith (Only Forward), but that was the late 90s and not heard much from them since, Michael Smith seems to concentrate on nonSF work now, Noon did a few sequels to Vurt all of which I really enjoyed, but Vurts still his best.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 09:53   #60
Guest 1471
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,283
Thanks: 67
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Jaine Fenn is quite good - series of novels set in the same universe but not all that connected.
Guest 1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serious Science Fiction scala Film Discussion 37 28-03-2008 13:31
Masters of Science Fiction Spooky_uk Television Discussion 14 25-10-2007 23:11

All times are GMT. The time now is 22:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network