Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 19-11-2011, 12:19   #61
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Several months ago, my parents brought round a load of James Herbert books after having a cull. I've never considered Herbert to be a patch on Stephen King, but I have a read a couple, in fact I've just ploughed through Haunted in a breathless two-day reading marathon. Actually, not that much of a marathon - it isn't very long and quite easy reading, but it's a lot better than the film adaptation (starring Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale, and taking massive liberties with the source material) even if seasoned readers would probably spot the 'twist' from miles away. I especially liked the way there weren't too many horror moments, more a steady build-up of spooky atmosphere - on the downside, it did nothing to move the haunted house story along.

The other read was The Secret of Crickley Hall, one of his more recent published efforts. To be honest, I started off thinking it was absolute rubbish, utter drivel, until it caught me in the right mood one night and I started feeling genuinely spooked. This isn't to say it's much cop - it's overlong and not a lot happens considering the amount of time I invested in it, but I got to the end so I must have kept up a level of intrigue.

Scariest books I've read? King again, I guess. I used to have loads of his works (normally World Books editions ), but the only things I've kept from the classic years are a dog-eared copy of Salem's Lot and Danse Macabre. I think Lot is just brilliant - a brilliant gamble that pays off considering how long he dwells on the minutiae of the town's denizens before turning the screw. Only Pet Semetery came close in terms of how frightened it made me feel, but a lot of love also for The Stand, It, and Misery. Personally, I felt he started treading water with The Tommyknockers; Needful Things appeared a Salem's Lot rip-off, and I've read little of his since then. Another recommendation would be Ghost Story, written by King's mate, Peter Straub.
Old 19-11-2011, 12:36   #62
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mither View Post
Several months ago, my parents brought round a load of James Herbert books after having a cull. I've never considered Herbert to be a patch on Stephen King, but I have a read a couple, in fact I've just ploughed through Haunted in a breathless two-day reading marathon. Actually, not that much of a marathon - it isn't very long and quite easy reading, but it's a lot better than the film adaptation (starring Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale, and taking massive liberties with the source material) even if seasoned readers would probably spot the 'twist' from miles away. I especially liked the way there weren't too many horror moments, more a steady build-up of spooky atmosphere - on the downside, it did nothing to move the haunted house story along.

The other read was The Secret of Crickley Hall, one of his more recent published efforts. To be honest, I started off thinking it was absolute rubbish, utter drivel, until it caught me in the right mood one night and I started feeling genuinely spooked. This isn't to say it's much cop - it's overlong and not a lot happens considering the amount of time I invested in it, but I got to the end so I must have kept up a level of intrigue.

Scariest books I've read? King again, I guess. I used to have loads of his works (normally World Books editions ), but the only things I've kept from the classic years are a dog-eared copy of Salem's Lot and Danse Macabre. I think Lot is just brilliant - a brilliant gamble that pays off considering how long he dwells on the minutiae of the town's denizens before turning the screw. Only Pet Semetery came close in terms of how frightened it made me feel, but a lot of love also for The Stand, It, and Misery. Personally, I felt he started treading water with The Tommyknockers; Needful Things appeared a Salem's Lot rip-off, and I've read little of his since then. Another recommendation would be Ghost Story, written by King's mate, Peter Straub.
You've got the sequel to Haunted 'The Ghosts of Sleath' to read which isnt bad just not as good as Haunted.

The third Ash book is out Oct 2012, Herbert's first book in 6 years
http://www.jamesherbert.com/

Most recent horror book I read was The People Next Door which wasnt great.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 16:42   #63
Borofan

I really like David Morrell.
He's most famous for First Blood (Rambo),
but he mainly does horror.
Borofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 11:14   #64
avid fan
Trusted User

I read Salem’s Lot, and enjoyed the story, but it didn’t scare me anywhere like as much as his short stories (in Night Shift, there’s a story called ‘Graveyard Shift’ with some rats in it that really gave me the creeps). Even then, nothing’s come as close as Clive Barker’s books of blood to give me the shivers.

I’m in the middle of ‘The Resort’ by Bentley Little, which is also a pretty enjoyable page turner – and it’s thankfully shorter than many books, so it’s not taking long to get through.

Can anyone recommend any other by Bentley Little? – I notice the Revelation gets mentioned in a previous post, and I’ve read one of his scariest is ‘The university’, but it seems difficult to track down.

I’ve still got Carrion Comfort and The Terror (both by Dan Simmons) sitting on my shelf – they’re just so big though that I’m not sure I’ll ever get around to finishing them
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:45   #65
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
I’ve still got Carrion Comfort and The Terror (both by Dan Simmons) sitting on my shelf – they’re just so big though that I’m not sure I’ll ever get around to finishing them
Let me know how you get on with them. I've only read Song of Kali by Dan Simmons which was outstanding and I keep meaning to pick up more by him.

My OH swears by his sci-fi, particularly Ilium and Olympos, but I've got a lot to be getting through right now.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 17:00   #66
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I really liked The Terror, but I like the subject matter very much - ships stuck in the arctic ice and so on and it inspired me to read up on the real histories of the characters. Cracking read, I thought.

I also loved his Hyperion Cantos. All of it, but I think just the first two are essential unless you fall in love with it, like I did. Many horror/fantasy elements to it. I've got Ilium and Olympus sitting on the shelf waiting for the right time to start them.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:56   #67
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
You've got the sequel to Haunted 'The Ghosts of Sleath' to read which isnt bad just not as good as Haunted.
Meant to say that after you posted this (weeks ago) I realised we had Ghosts of Sleath on our shelf, so I pretty much dived straight into it. Bit of a mistake. There were some good, chilling moments, but Herbert's attempt to write a Salem's Lot style 'effects on the whole town' commentary weren't really up to snuff (it was done a lot better in the Lot) and it was incredibly drawn out. The lengthy sex scene was fist in mouth, toes curling, wrist slittingly embarrassing but I understand this is something of a Herbert trademark. That said, it's not too often that I come across a well written sex scene...
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18   #68
avid fan
Trusted User

I suppose even the badly written ones suffice then

(Sorry, couldn't resist the obvious)

Last edited by avid fan; 09-01-2012 at 12:19.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 14:43   #69
Andy Meredith
Trusted User

A guy I work with writes horror in his spare time,one of his novels has just been made into a tv movie, check his stuff out here horror fans.

http://www.shaunjeffrey.com

Last edited by Andy Meredith; 09-01-2012 at 14:50.
Andy Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 21:59   #70
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
I suppose even the badly written ones suffice then

(Sorry, couldn't resist the obvious)
Ha ha - it was terrible though, a chapter of 'Make it stop, please!' type agony.
Old 27-01-2012, 23:08   #71
Guest 17789
Webmonkey

A few I recommend:

Darkfall, Daemonic - Stephen Laws - first half of darkfall in particular is excellent
Outpost - Adam Baker - elements of the thing with a contagion bent
Blood Harvest - SJ Bolton - traditional slow build horror
Villain - Shuichi Yoshida - more of a crime novel but I found it unsettling
Survivor, Primitive - JF Gonzalez - zombie

A book I read as a kid and absolutely terrified me was The Dark Behind The Curtain by Gillian Cross about a school putting on a play of Sweeney Todd and the lead actor gradually becomes possessed by the character. I have a copy of it, but no idea if it's easy to get hold of...
Guest 17789 is offline   Reply With Quote