Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2009, 16:37   #181
thescrounger
Trusted User

According to this months Doctor Who magazine the 2010 series will be called 'series one'.

I smell a Star Trek style reboot and clean slate...
Old 24-06-2009, 17:23   #182
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,046 Times in 519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
According to this months Doctor Who magazine the 2010 series will be called 'series one'.

Praise the lord Jebus! I hope that means zero camp and maximum bed wetting darkness. How amazing would it be if they moved it to 9pm and tried to make some proper world class entertainment.. like Lost meets Battlestar meets Buffy*. They could pull that off and the BBC would make a mint.

We can but dream!

*okay tiny bit of camp in that.

Last edited by scoobyood; 24-06-2009 at 17:24.
Old 24-06-2009, 18:05   #183
new
Sand Dab

Quote:

There have been rumors on OG about a reboot for sometime.
Really hope it does not go the re-boot route, and this is just one of those things like RTD first Who series being called "Series 1" as it was a new production team.
Actually in last months DWM the editors comment actually singled out how for not having to re-boot its self (like Star Trek, Bond etc), and how great it was that it was a continuous show, with a continues Doctor that is the same character.

Also I cant see a big Who fan like Moffat wanting to ditch all the shows past (I know RTD is writing the last special, but he has always said the Doctor will be left exactly as Moffat wants him.

Oh well just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Praise the lord Jebus! I hope that means zero camp and maximum bed wetting darkness. How amazing would it be if they moved it to 9pm and tried to make some proper world class entertainment.. like Lost meets Battlestar meets Buffy*. They could pull that off and the BBC would make a mint.

We can but dream!
Sounds like a nightmare to me.

For me Doctor Who is great because its Doctor Who and not a UK copy of a US show.

As a family show its already "world class entertainment" and has been for some 40 years+ now.
Old 24-06-2009, 18:27   #184
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

hoping for a new start/reboot as well
Old 24-06-2009, 21:22   #185
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Sounds like a nightmare to me.

For me Doctor Who is great because its Doctor Who and not a UK copy of a US show.

As a family show its already "world class entertainment" and has been for some 40 years+ now.
"copy of a US show" how on earth could it be that? With the current Who RTD was influenced massively by the likes of Buffy, does that make the show the same as Buffy?

What I was suggesting is that it still needs a little of that comedy/monster of the week.. but there's no reason it can't go more towards Lost's verisimilitude/visual polish and Battlestar's epic scale/grittyness. I mention these "US shows" because they are SciFi with massive crossover appeal. That's what I want for Dr Who.

The tone and visual quality of the show needs a massive overhaul (see the "fly people" on the last episode). A Dr Who without camp sets and multicoloured lighting and camp Rhino/potato monsters is what would elevate it. Instead of making a Alien 4 they should start making Alien 1.

I have no doubt that Moffat can do this for the show. Blink proves that. It's a case of how far the BBC suits let him go.
Old 24-06-2009, 21:32   #186
The404
In Stereo Where Available

Quote:
"copy of a US show" how on earth could it be that? With the current Who RTD was influenced massively by the likes of Buffy, does that make the show the same as Buffy?

What I was suggesting is that it still needs a little of that comedy/monster of the week.. but there's no reason it can't go more towards Lost's verisimilitude/visual polish and Battlestar's epic scale/grittyness. I mention these "US shows" because they are SciFi with massive crossover appeal. That's what I want for Dr Who.

The tone and visual quality of the show needs a massive overhaul (see the "fly people" on the last episode). A Dr Who without camp sets and multicoloured lighting and camp Rhino/potato monsters is what would elevate it. Instead of making a Alien 4 they should start making Alien 1.

I have no doubt that Moffat can do this for the show. Blink proves that. It's a case of how far the BBC suits let him go.
But doesn't Doctor Who appeal to kids too? It has a big audience with that demographic. You're taking the show away from them if you go down the darker Lost/BSG route.
Old 24-06-2009, 21:43   #187
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Could it be a reboot to allow RTD and Tennant to carry on making big screen movies set in the "old" universe?

Last edited by gavinhanly; 24-06-2009 at 21:43.
Old 24-06-2009, 21:49   #188
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
But doesn't Doctor Who appeal to kids too? It has a big audience with that demographic. You're taking the show away from them if you go down the darker Lost/BSG route.
Nah. Not a problem. For instance some of the DVD's for Dr Who go to a 12. They could move to that on all the DVD releases.. rather than some of them being PG. The upper end of a 12 or 12A. The Dark Knight is a 12, Hell Boy 2... it doesn't have to be crazy with blood and stuff to go dark.
Old 24-06-2009, 22:40   #189
Guest 3637
Trusted User

I hope they don't do a reboot. Time for some new monsters/villans/companions etc. I wish they would leave the Daleks, master, captain Jack, Rose, Donna et al alone and move on. Build on the base sure, but dont keep going back and over using them.

It was like star trek and the borg. The first couple of times, great. But then they overused them and spoilt the whole thing

Last edited by Neil Smalley; 24-06-2009 at 22:45.
Old 25-06-2009, 05:43   #190
new
Sand Dab

Quote:

What I was suggesting is that it still needs a little of that comedy/monster of the week.. but there's no reason it can't go more towards Lost's verisimilitude/visual polish and Battlestar's epic scale/grittyness.
But we have that already.
Blink, Human Nature/Family of Blood, Turn Left, Midnight, Dalek, etc type story one week, Smith & Jones, Shakespeare Code, etc another week, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, Christmas Invasion, Stolen Earth/Journeys End, etc another week..

Quote:
The tone and visual quality of the show needs a massive overhaul (see the "fly people" on the last episode). A Dr Who without camp sets and multicoloured lighting and camp Rhino/potato monsters is what would elevate it.
Granted the last story; Planet of the Dead was not that good at all, but this was more down to one of those below par episodes that even shows like even LOST, & BSG have in there season run. I dont pretend every single story in Who's long history has been fantastic. Far from it (Planet of the Dead, Fear Her, Daleks in Manhattan spring to mind!), but its format is still a winning unique one that no other show has managed to copy successfully.

Quote:
Instead of making a Alien 4 they should start making Alien 1.
No,no, no, they just need to carry on making Doctor Who.

Quote:
While I think Moffat taking over is what the show now needs, I think those that think he's going to take it in a drastic dark/'Blink' new direction will be in for a shock. Moffat is a life long Who fan and I fully expect there to be a series run with some dark, some light, some comedy, and even 'camp' moments in his Series 1. Nearly every Who series since the 60's has had these sort of episodes and I dont expect the new one to be that much different.

Last edited by new; 25-06-2009 at 06:23.
Old 25-06-2009, 06:31   #191
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Of course the show's tone will not change drastically (although the quality of eps like Blink, Human Nature/Family of Blood would very very welcome compared to stuff like Stolen Earth/Journeys End or the master episodes) But those expecting (eg the dr who jihadists) a massive continuation of the shouting, gurning, everything fixed with the sonic screwdriver will be will be in for a shock
Old 25-06-2009, 07:49   #192
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

If it's a reboot then i'll eat my hat.

If it's "dark and for adults" i'll eat everyone elses too.

Everyone expecting sweeping changes is going to be in for a huge dissapointment.
Old 25-06-2009, 13:29   #193
jpig
Trusted User

Heard a rumour about the Tardis being based on the original 1963 one too. Could this be a temporal anomoly re-imaging thing where Matt Smith is a young 1st Doctor, yet he is Doctor 11 at the same time? It would side step the 12 regenerations thing that fans keep nerding on about.
Old 25-06-2009, 14:43   #194
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I suspect the show will be exactly the same as it was before, more or less, but all the campy nonsense will now be blamed on "BBC suits for not giving Moffat enough free reign to make Dr Who more like Dead Space".
Old 25-06-2009, 14:52   #195
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Heard a rumour about the Tardis being based on the original 1963 one too. Could this be a temporal anomoly re-imaging thing where Matt Smith is a young 1st Doctor, yet he is Doctor 11 at the same time? It would side step the 12 regenerations thing that fans keep nerding on about.
Don't think they need a 'Temporal anomaly' for that. Or for continuing the Tennant versions for a movie. This is time travel and the doctor jumps back and forth all the 'time'. For all we know there could have been a hundred years of travels between 'Journey's End' and 'Planet of the Dead'. If Matt Smith is the young first doctor then that's just what happened.. It's a pretty cool idea actually.
Old 25-06-2009, 15:16   #196
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post

Everyone expecting sweeping changes is going to be in for a huge dissapointment.
I think there will be plenty of big changes. Things we know will change are:

Theme Music arrangement.
New interior TARDIS console room
New Doctor Who Logo
And of course new actors and production team.
Old 25-06-2009, 15:27   #197
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Moffat has expressed his admiration for RTD's "lighter" writing - so I think we'll continue to see that style.
Old 25-06-2009, 16:27   #198
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
I think there will be plenty of big changes. Things we know will change are:

Theme Music arrangement.
New interior TARDIS console room
New Doctor Who Logo
And of course new actors and production team.
That's not that sweeping though - the music has changed every year anyway and the logo is not much of a change.

Personally i don't think the tardis will change *that* much either, i think it'll be expanded and have more detail (because of HD) though...

Of course it *will*be different, i just don't think it'll be *that* different.
Old 25-06-2009, 19:20   #199
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Is Murray Gold still doing his Tom and Jerry musical routine for the new series or has he been retired?

I agree that a reboot would be absolutely terrible. If Davies proved anything, it's that the new series and the old can work together as one big, rich cohesive story. One character, one concept, one history that literally spans generations.

As for the Russell Davies/David Tennant movie idea, I think they both need to accept that they've had their time and the show and the characters don't belong to them any more.
Old 25-06-2009, 21:58   #200
cliff homewood
Trusted User

well th enew series started as season 1 because of the fact it was a new production team according to Davies, so that coudl be the case again here? Although it would be bloody confusing so I'm assuming its a false rumour.
Closed Thread