Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 16-06-2008, 21:16   #1
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

L.A. Confidential goes Blu in September (US)

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=68038

Woah. That looks like a cracking line-up of features for what is still a hugely enjoyable film, and the usual 1080p video and lossless audio is surely a given. I can't wait to watch that blistering final shoot-out in all its HD glory.

Warners have a pleasing habit of keeping the extras from the old DVD (including isolated scores where applicable) and adding yet more goodness, and L.A. Confidential appears to be no exception. They also love to raid their TV dept. for extra stuff; I never knew there was a TV pilot.

Now, where's Heat with the brand-new Mann-supervised transfer?
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 11:04   #2
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Mine arrived this morning. Can't wait to fire it up. Is the commentary carried over from a DVD release or is it newly recorded?

Strangely it comes with a bonus CD sampling songs from the soundtrack.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 23-09-2008 at 11:07.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 11:45   #3
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Mine too, along with Outbreak.

When you put it in (as did Outbreak - both Warner releases - hmmm....) it defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1 rather than TrueHD, so just be aware.

Great film, and a very good treatment on Blu-ray. Not reference quality, but pleasing to the eye nonetheless and positively stacked with extras.
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 11:56   #4
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Meh not a great start as I think the transfer is average at best and I'm noticing lip-sync problems throughout. Check the scene near the beginning, when Guy Pearce is 'ratting out' his fellow officers. The line from Dudley about 'Bud White being a valued officer' looks horribly out of sync here.

US PS3.
Old 23-09-2008, 12:45   #5
LordoftheDance

How far into it is that, Lou?

Don't worry mate, found it.

Might be a problem with your set-up then... no lip-sync problems here, I've gone through 5 or 6 talking scenes, including the whole scene where Guy Pearce is being interviewed by the 3 police officials, and lip-syncing is spot on.

Transfer still looks very good to me too, although I am seeing 'strobing' effects quite a lot, but I'm positive that's more to do with my TV than the disc. (I get it on a lot of films)

Last edited by LordoftheDance; 23-09-2008 at 12:54.
Old 23-09-2008, 13:01   #6
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Weird - what player are you watching it on LOTD?
Old 23-09-2008, 14:02   #7
LordoftheDance

UK PS3 mate.
Old 23-09-2008, 14:12   #8
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I will have to rewatch to check then. It seemed fine for the rest of the film though.

It is still a fantastic film. The TruHD during that last scene is pretty decent I must say.

The disc otherwise is excellent too. The transfer is still average though. No reason a DVD couldn't look this good.
Old 23-09-2008, 16:52   #9
Guest 32985
Gamertag: bumgut

DVD Beaver like it - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...al_blu-ray.htm
Guest 32985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 20:47   #10
Niceguygeoff

Axel have shipped my copy but I wants it now after reading that review!
Old 23-09-2008, 21:25   #11
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I still maintain the transfer looks pretty ordinary in motion. It's a very good disc though all things considered. I guess I was just expecting more from a Warner funded film. Though listening to the extras, it appears that this was very much an indie film.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:37   #12
Harsin

At least it's better than the shoddy job they're supposed to have done on the DVD.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 22:02   #13
Niceguygeoff

Christ, I'd forgotten how much I love this flick. My pulse starting racing about 15 minutes in as my feeble mind got reacquainted with it. I'm still feeling a little giddy now, I kid you not. It's a crime that Titanic nicked all the Oscar glory that year, but as someone is reputed to have said: "Don't make your masterpiece the year they make Gone With The Wind". C'est la vie.

As for the Blu-ray presentation, I'm with Lou. The film has a flat and inconsistent appearance, although the transfer does justice to Dante Spinotti's beautiful lighting. It does look far better than the ancient DVD however, and for that we must be thankful.

The TrueHD sound is good, but again not great. There's a shedload of ADR - mostly in the first few reels, for some reason - that is ruthlessly exposed by the lossless audio. I can see why Lou has mentioned the lip-sync, and IMO it's not because the track is actually out, but because the ADR is all over the place.

And maybe it's because we've been spoiled since (Dolby Digital was only five years old at the time), but that final shoot-out wasn't as impressive as I remember. Still, there are some notable moments of aural clarity throughout the film.

I sound like I'm moaning, but believe me, I enjoyed the Blu-ray from start to finish.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 28-09-2008 at 22:04.
Old 29-09-2008, 01:14   #14
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Christ, I'd forgotten how much I love this flick. My pulse starting racing about 15 minutes in as my feeble mind got reacquainted with it. I'm still feeling a little giddy now, I kid you not. It's a crime that Titanic nicked all the Oscar glory that year, but as someone is reputed to have said: "Don't make your masterpiece the year they make Gone With The Wind". C'est la vie.

As for the Blu-ray presentation, I'm with Lou. The film has a flat and inconsistent appearance, although the transfer does justice to Dante Spinotti's beautiful lighting. It does look far better than the ancient DVD however, and for that we must be thankful.

The TrueHD sound is good, but again not great. There's a shedload of ADR - mostly in the first few reels, for some reason - that is ruthlessly exposed by the lossless audio. I can see why Lou has mentioned the lip-sync, and IMO it's not because the track is actually out, but because the ADR is all over the place.

And maybe it's because we've been spoiled since (Dolby Digital was only five years old at the time), but that final shoot-out wasn't as impressive as I remember. Still, there are some notable moments of aural clarity throughout the film.

I sound like I'm moaning, but believe me, I enjoyed the Blu-ray from start to finish.
Sorry Geoff, but what's "ADR"? And how bad is the lip sync? Are we talking bad to the level of distraction? If so I'll stick with my R2 DVD, or wait to hear if the UK BD is any better in this regard.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 07:14   #15
Guest 24882
Trusted User

ADR - Additional Dialogue Recording. Usually used when sound recorded onset is unusable. Pretty much all of the studio shot footage of Lord of the Rings was ADR due to the studio's proximity to Wellington airport for example.The actors come back months later and rerecord their dialogue in a sound studio.
Guest 24882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 11:27   #16
Niceguygeoff

Chris, I think that any overall lip-sync issues aren't to do with the encoding, but with the original sound mix of the film. Replacement dialogue usually sticks out like a sore thumb (see: Star Wars on DVD) and only recently has it reached a fairly transparent level of quality. Rarely does it sync up perfectly.

Check it out on the old DVD. Run the Xmas party sequence (just before the police station ruckus) at the beginning of the film. That entire scene doesn't seem to have any originally-recorded dialogue at all, and the ADR is pretty poorly synced. The Blu-ray is merely replicating this.

I dunno where Lou got his sync issue though. I've watched that scene on a US PS3 and a UK Sony S350 and it's perfect.

Can I just say again: LA Confidential is ******* awesome.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 29-09-2008 at 11:32.
Old 29-09-2008, 11:39   #17
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

When's the UK version out then?

Quote:
Chris, I think that any overall lip-sync issues aren't to do with the encoding, but with the original sound mix of the film. Replacement dialogue usually sticks out like a sore thumb (see: Star Wars on DVD) and only recently has it reached a fairly transparent level of quality. Rarely does it sync up perfectly.
To be fair though, the reproduced dialogue on the Star Wars DVDs sounds far better than it ever did on the VHS editions. Even Aunt Beru in all her dubbed glory doesn't jarr that much on DVD.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 29-09-2008 at 11:41.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 11:54   #18
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

I see!

Is this the reason in some films that when only the side of the actor's face (or sometimes a back shot with the jaw still visibly moving) appears to be out of sync?

As though they've found it hard to sync up without a face forward shot?

I've noticed this many, many times over the years, on many different films.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 12:18   #19
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Spaghetti Westerns are the best examples as they are often shot with no production audio at all and with a multi-lingual cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
I see!

Is this the reason in some films that when only the side of the actor's face (or sometimes a back shot with the jaw still visibly moving) appears to be out of sync?
Not necessarily I think a lot of the time that's just something overlooked as it's usually the reaction of the actor/object front-on screen whose reaction is more important.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 12:58   #20
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
I dunno where Lou got his sync issue though. I've watched that scene on a US PS3 and a UK Sony S350 and it's perfect.
It's not perfect at all - it is about half a second out...well at least on my copy anyway

I will have another look later and give you an exact time-stamp for it.