Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 18-01-2008, 11:49   #21
CLH
La Bender

Seriously, at what price do members consider that this is a no brainer? And how would members market it to the public?
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 11:54   #22
fothy123
Trusted User

I ain't in either camp but never realised that some bluray players were down to that sort of price, last time I looked they were all a few hundred quid higher. No idea if that Samsung player is any good anyway but just happened to notice it's price.
fothy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 11:55   #23
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

You can get a Sony BD player from Richer Sounds for £250 with 6 free discs.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 11:55   #24
CLH
La Bender

A lot are citing the upscaling as a major selling point. I absolutely agree.

But upscalers can be about £30 now. What price do we really need to see this player at for joe public to buy it in droves? It still doesn't strike me as an impulse purchase.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:00   #25
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post

I have read some bad things about the upscaling can you confirm it is actually good?
On the EP30 it's not bad, but it's not outstanding. I prefer the performance from my Denon 1940, which is a standalone DVD player.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:08   #26
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
But upscalers can be about £30 now.
...and you can get a DVD player for £9. The sort of people who are content with that players of that quality might as well stick with VHS. Getting an HD-EI for £99 would be a definite bargain and well worth anyone's consideration if they were thinking of buying a new DVD player.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:10   #27
simonb
Trusted User

Here's Toshiba Europe's press release from this morning:

TOSHIBA BUILDS ON HD DVD’s EUROPEAN PERFORMANCE
WITH NEW PROMOTIONAL ACTIVITY

Every consumer can gain the benefits of DVD up-scaling for their entire DVD library as well as enjoying HD DVD’s superior video, audio and interactive capabilities

WEYBRIDGE – January 18th, 2008– Toshiba Information Systems UK Ltd (“Toshiba”) today announced that it is extending its successful local marketing campaigns for HD DVD in response to strong dedicated player sales and the best and most consistent ‘tie rate’ for movies to players of any high definition format in the last 12 months. Key initiatives include joint promotional activity with studios, as well as a revision to Toshiba’s Recommended Retail Prices. These moves will enable more consumers to enjoy the superior benefits of HD DVD as well as gain the ability to up-scale their entire DVD movie collection via HDMItm output to near high def picture quality.

Since the introduction of the format, more than 200,000 dedicated HD DVD players have been sold in Europe. According to the latest available independent research, Toshiba’s accumulated share of the High Definition standalone player market was close to 60% at the end of 2007. In the fourth quarter alone, HD DVD doubled its European installed base of players. In addition, a ‘tie rate’ of HD DVD software was 3.5 movies per dedicated HD DVD player in 2007.

“While it’s still early days for HD on optical disc, these results confirm HD DVD performed strongly throughout 2007,” said Yoshio Abe, President of Consumer Products Europe, Toshiba Information Systems UK Ltd. “These new marketing investments coupled with our new recommended retail pricing, will ensure HD DVD remains at the forefront of the consumer's mind within Europe.”

The establishment of a strong installed base of dedicated HD DVD players in Europe is also helping to bridge the divide between the physical and digital content domains thanks to the connection to the network through Ethernet, which is a mandatory feature of every HD DVD player. This means that HD DVD player owners can not only enjoy the ultimate high definition experience through superior audio/video performance, they can experience cutting-edge content and advanced interactive features directly via the network.

“As the natural successor to DVD and a standard approved by the DVD Forum made up of over 200 leading consumer electronics companies, HD DVD offers a high level of DVD compatibility. With DVD up-scaling via HDMI, HD DVD players bring new life to your existing DVD library and make it look better than ever. Consumers can also enjoy more than 800 HD DVD titles currently available worldwide from leading Hollywood studios and a large number of European content partners,” said Masaaki Kimura, Vice President Digital A/V Group, Toshiba UK.

New marketing strategy to drive mass market adoption

Toshiba plans to extend promotional campaigns that will further enhance consumer awareness of the benefits of HD DVD and drive sales to retail among potential consumers.

In addition, taking into consideration consumers’ positive response to the promotional operations this last quarter, as well as independent consumers surveys pointing to price as the key driver for adoption of any high definition player, Toshiba’s new Recommended Retail Prices (RRP*) have been designed to meet the potential demand for HD DVD players in the European market.

Effective on 18th January, 2008, the RRP* of the entry model 1080p Toshiba HD-EP30 will be below £150 and the high-end HD-EP35 will be below £250.

“While price is just one of many purchasing considerations for the early adopter, it is a deal-breaker for the mainstream consumer,” said Kimura. “Sales this Christmas have demonstrated, once again, that consumer awareness of HD DVD has been elevated thanks to its close association with DVD and recent successful promotions. Pricing is – without doubt – the most critical determinant in a consumer’s decision to purchase next generation high definition DVD technology. The value HD DVD brings to the consumer simply cannot be ignored.”

HD DVD delivers on its promises

With advanced interactivity and Web-enabled network capabilities built into every HD DVD player through a dedicated Ethernet connection as mandated by the specifications approved by the DVD Forum, Toshiba continues to deliver on the promise of a consistent entertainment experience through firmware updates as studios launch new applications. HD DVD allows content makers to demonstrate their creative flair in ways that are technically impossible with DVD. The latest of these new experiences is online streaming. Now, when consumers connect their HD DVD player to the network through Ethernet, they can stream new content or trailers, as they become available, directly from a movie studio's server.

Universal Home Video, Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG have reported that an average of 30 percent of HD DVD owners have accessed Web-enabled network features and continue to do so regularly.

About Toshiba HD DVD Players

With the HD DVD format, selected HD DVD players allow consumers to experience true high def 1080p for extraordinary resolution that matches the latest state of the art 1080p HDTVs. These same players display images at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate used by directors when using film to create motion pictures, for a smoother, more film-like, viewing experience.
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:13   #28
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
...and you can get a DVD player for £9. The sort of people who are content with that players of that quality might as well stick with VHS. Getting an HD-EI for £99 would be a definite bargain and well worth anyone's consideration if they were thinking of buying a new DVD player.
But they haven't and won't. I paid £40 for my last DVD player, very recently, and certainly wouldnt spend £99 on one just because it does HD-DVD. My £40 one plays WMV, DIVX etc and plays from a USB stick, all far more use to me in real life than an extra £50 for HD-DVD which might not be around in 6 months.

Last edited by KRW; 18-01-2008 at 12:15.
Old 18-01-2008, 12:15   #29
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Looks like Toshiba answered your question on how I'd sell it to Joe Public:

- Affordable HD
- That also upscales your DVD's on your nice shiny HDTV
- Fully featured player

I believe those players are very competent and I'm glad I got one. I don't know whether it will sell. We'll see.

I need to play with my DVD collection to judge the upscaling. Only been watching HD content on it so far because I;m already behind on my HD DVD to watch stack.

Wendelius
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:20   #30
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post

- Affordable HD
- Fully featured player
No multiregion though? People can talk about 'forthcoming hacks' but until they surface, as an SD player its virtually useless to me. So its only use is as an HD player, but thats a little shaky, so I'd go for BD. (if i was in the market for either, which i am not)

Last edited by KRW; 18-01-2008 at 12:22.
Old 18-01-2008, 12:30   #31
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I paid £40 for my last DVD player, very recently, and certainly wouldnt spend £99 on one just because it does HD-DVD.
So long as you personally feel that your player upscales as well as any other on the market, you are perfectly right to feel content with its performance.
Old 18-01-2008, 12:32   #32
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
No multiregion though?
Agreed. It's the reason I haven't decommissioned my upscaler yet. But at least I have no RC on my HD content.

I honestly don't know how much multiregion is a sales argument. For me, it's very important both in SD and HD. But some will argue with some good reasons it's not as important as it used to be. Since no HD player can make the SD multiregion claim right now anyway (not out of the box), it's hardly a sales pitch argument.

Wendelius
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:33   #33
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:

- Affordable HD
- Fully featured player
- Affordable HD - So is Blu-ray. certainly the discs are no more expensive

- That also upscales your DVD's on your nice shiny HDTV - So can any Blu-ray player.

- Fully featured player - Ok, i'll give you that one, but to be honest, i don't care about what 2.0 profile can give me, sounds like fluff to me, just interested in the movies.
Old 18-01-2008, 12:36   #34
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
So long as you personally feel that your player upscales as well as any other on the market, you are perfectly right to feel content with its performance.
But the point is why waste even £50 on a michine just so it can play a format that's going to die off by the end of the year anyway? I'd rather invest in something that can play discs that might be released after that.
Old 18-01-2008, 12:39   #35
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:

- Affordable HD
- Fully featured player
From that press release it looks like they were selling it as an upscaler first and an HD-DVD player second. Says it all really.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:41   #36
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

I don't want this to descend into another argument but what really has the Blu Ray disc got over HD-DVD in terms of functionality/features other than a bit more space because as far as I understand HDi is far superior and the specification is final with HD-DVD, etc.

I really liked HD-DVD as a product because of the better functionality but have held back as waiting for multi-region players (for DVDs) to surface first and the price to come down, now I'm holding back as the war seems to be at a tipping point. If Blu Ray wins then I will go down this route but to me at the moment I'm scratching my head because HD-DVD seems to be the better 'product'.

I'm really struggling to see the benefits Blu Ray has over HD-DVD in terms of features/functionality ignoring the studio support and slightly larger capacity - Anyone?

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Last edited by cedge; 18-01-2008 at 12:43.
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:46   #37
Guest 48579
Banned

Did you have to make that post?
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:47   #38
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
Wendilus best to ignore then we wont provoke an argument and hopefully keep this thread open.

I have read some bad things about the upscaling can you confirm it is actually good?

Look, all I'm saying is, if we're going down the road of "thread apartheid" we might as well all give up.
Remember that the "Is HD DVD dead?" thread was actually very reasoned and civilised until it was ruined by a HD DVD attention-seeking lunatic (who got away with murder) and not a "Blu guy".

I'm not looking for an argument and I sincerely don't want to see this thread closed.

My personal opinion on the thread subject is that yes, it is a great price for a HD player (especially with the free movies). But looking medium to long term, it will only ever play a relatively small number of high definition movies.
So in that respect it's a lot of money to pay for what is basically an upscaler that will also be good to play a (relative) handful of HD DVDs.
Guest 12934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:50   #39
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
I'm really struggling to see the benefits Blu Ray has over HD-DVD in terms of features/functionality ignoring the studio support and slightly larger capacity - Anyone?
Well the level of studio support makes it look almost inevitable that Blu-Ray will be the dominant format, consigning HD-DVD to the scrapheap by 2009 - what other benefits would top that ?
Old 18-01-2008, 12:54   #40
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Quote:
Did you have to make that post?
Sorry I have neither format and based the post on what I have read therefore I'm just trying to see the different features;

Just found this table which compares DVD, BD and HD-DVD which does quite a good job

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-13817_7...2.html?tag=nav

I must say the extra capacity of BD does make a whole load of difference on the amount of HD or SD source material.

If this post is not relevant here, can a Mod transfer it to a more suitable thread please.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote